This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

All Landlords Are Scum

Comments

• I just consider the "security deposit" forfeit when I sign the lease. :P
  • edited January 2010
    I just consider the "security deposit" forfeit when I sign the lease. :P
    This has been my experience. It sucks, but it seems that a lot of landlords just consider the security deposit extra income. It's not not right, but they know most people won't take the time to go to court over it. But hey, if you really feel strongly about this. Take them to court.
    Post edited by beefy on
  • I feel strongly, because I polished the floor and scrubbed the bathtubs late into the night before I moved out.
  • Emily, you may want to look into mediation as an alternative and/or non-binding arbitration as a precursor to Small Claims Court.
  • Emily, you may want to look into mediation as an alternative and/or non-binding arbitration as a precursor to Small Claims Court.
    I'm opening my own salvo for the unrelated issue of mine/Scott's deposit.

Certified letter demanding the deposit back (which has not been sent), including an itemized list of any deductions from said deposit beyond those previously agreed upon in the lease. Small claims court immediately if they balk.
  • I'm opening my own salvo for the unrelated issue of mine/Scott's deposit.

Certified letter demanding the deposit back (which has not been sent), including an itemized list of any deductions from said deposit beyond those previously agreed upon in the lease. Small claims court immediately if they balk.
    Just a note, while I'm sure Emily cleaned and left her apartment in near perfect condition, I'm not sure if you can expect much of your security deposit back if the house was anywhere near the same condition it was in when I last saw it (minus the boxes obviously).
  • I'm opening my own salvo for the unrelated issue of mine/Scott's deposit.
    She hasn't given back your deposits either?
  • She hasn't given back your deposits either?
    Nope. She was pissed that we moved out in the winter.
  • She hasn't given back your deposits either?
    Nope. She was pissed that we moved out in the winter.
    Did you give proper notice and leave the place in similar condition as you received it?
  • I feel strongly, because I polished the floor and scrubbed the bathtubs late into the night before I moved out.
    Well I hope you've learned a lesson from all this.
    I'm opening my own salvo for the unrelated issue of mine/Scott's deposit.

I love your strategy of immediate escalation.
  • Did you give proper notice and leave the place in similar condition as you received it?
    Plenty of notice, and I have pictures of the place timestamped just before we left. Hence, I want the itemized list of deductions.
  • edited January 2010
    Did you give proper notice and leave the place in similar condition as you received it?
    Plenty of notice, and I have pictures of the place timestamped just before we left. Hence, I want the itemized list of deductions.
    I don't get why this is such a pervasive issue with landlords. Adam and I lost our deposit on both our previous apartments. The first one was lost because the apartment complex changed hands shortly after we moved and we were too far away to make it worthwhile to take legal action. We forfeit the second because our landlord stated that I had verbally agreed to give two months notice (though I have no recollection of this) and we compromised amongst ourselves (mostly for the sake of expediency and the fact that the landlord was - in all other aspects - nice) that we could be let out of our last month's rent if we forfeit our deposit.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I had verbally agreed to give two months notice (though I have no recollection of this)
    Anything that is said is easily denied in court.
  • RymRym
    edited January 2010
    I don't get why this is such a pervasive issue with landlords.
    Most landlords, except the corporate ones, seem to be generally incompetent people running a business with minimal tools and expertise. None of my landlords have ever been smart or savvy enough to use online listings, accept payment by any means other than a personal check, or have any lease other than a storebought one that they've probably never read. They don't have email addresses, do everything over the phone, and (as I saw personally in several cases), do all of their accounting with pen and paper. The landlady with whom we all have our current disputes, to be perfectly honest, is the picture of the archtypical "indignant fat woman" we often deride.

I really don't plan to ever live anywhere again without either buying outright, co-oping, or having a corporate landlord. It's kind of like how I rarely if ever do business with anyone who doesn't have a web presence or can't take credit cards.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Anything that is said is easily denied in court.
    Yup, that's the main issue with a verbal contract. A verbal contract is every bit as valid as a written one; it's just harder to prove a verbal contract in court.

Were you actually required to give notice before you moved out? It's ludicrous that she didn't give you the itemized list of deductions. The last place I left, I at least received a hand-written note with the deposit check, and the listed deductions were very reasonable (I broke some antique bathroom fixtures).
    I love your strategy of immediate escalation.
    You might not want to escalate immediately. It would probably look better if you tried reasonable negotiations on your own first.
  • Seems to me like landlords are in the habit of keeping security deposits just because they can, and tenants are very unlikely to fight for them. I have a feeling this is the kind of thing where you can fight and easily win.

I think a solution might be to create some sort of renters registry. When you rent a place, you fill out a form and register the address, rent, length of lease, deposit amount, etc. You then update the info if your rent increases, if you renew. When you leave, you put in how much security you got back.

With the information in this kind of registry we could easily track misbehaving landlords. Then local Attorneys General would have a relatively easy time of cleaning it up, if they felt so inclined.
  • I think a solution might be to create some sort of renters registry. When you rent a place, you fill out a form and register the address, rent, length of lease, deposit amount, etc. You then update the info if your rent increases, if you renew. When you leave, you put in how much security you got back.
    This is not a bad idea. It's sort of a "buyer beware" database. I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not in a position to give legal advice, but I would want to look into the potential legal consequences for maintaining that sort of thing.
  • I mean, we have rating websites for doctors, why not the same thing for landlords?
  • I mean, we have rating websites for doctors, why not the same thing for landlords?
    This is just one of many sites that attempt to do that.
  • edited January 2010
    Most landlords, except the corporate ones, seem to be generally incompetent people running a business with minimal tools and expertise.
    Quoted for truth. It's also an EXTREMELY hard business if you only have a few units. To be fair, generally speaking, landlords get screwed over by tenants much more often than they screw tenants.

If you are interested in mediation or arbitration, you better find out the difference between the two. They are not the same.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • If you are interested in mediation or arbitration, you better find out the difference between the two. They are not the same.
    QFT!
    Look into the various programs available in the state/county/town that you can avail yourself off and determine if they are actually preferable to a small claims matter. Some mediation and arbitration programs cost quite a bit more than filing a small claims action.
  • Quoted for truth. It's also an EXTREMELY hard business if you only have a few units. To be fair, generally speaking, landlords get screwed over by tenants much more often than they screw tenants.
    Perhaps, but that doesn't mean they should take it out on the nice ones.
  • Perhaps, but that doesn't mean they should take it out on the nice ones.
    Welcome to people.
  • You know, I think this made me a little more jaded, but a little less naive. Kind of like when Rym trusted People not to steal his bike and they did.
  • You know, I think this made me a little more jaded, but a little less naive. Kind of like when Rym trusted People not to steal his bike and they did.
    Don't be jaded. Just use the information to safeguard yourself in the future. Naivete is terrible, but so is being jaded.
  • Naivete is terrible, but so is being jaded.
    What's the difference between jaded and correctly-assessing?

I have rarely been positively surprised by anyone, but neither have I often been negatively surprised.
  • Welcome to people.
  • Naivete is terrible, but so is being jaded.
    What's the difference between jaded and correctly-assessing?

I have rarely been positively surprised by anyone, but neither have I often been negatively surprised.
    Being dull, apathetic or cynical are not positive qualities. A person can be realistic and safeguard against future pitfalls without being cynical and assuming/expecting that those they are dealing with will screw them.