This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

All Landlords Are Scum

Comments

• A person can be realistic and safeguard against future pitfalls without being cynical and assuming/expecting that those they are dealing with will screw them.
    But accurate assessment means that you:

1) expect someone to attempt to screw you
    2) prepare for the inevitability
    3) are actually attemptedly screwed

Is it wrong to expect someone to screw you when they do in fact attempt to screw you exactly as expected?

I categorize people into several groups based on my information when doing dealings:

1) Will actively try to harm me (active pre-emptive measures)
    2) Is likely to fail or harm me (active preventative measures)
    3) Neutral (standard precautions, low expectations)
    4) Will likely succeed (standard precautions)
    5) Will definitely succeed (zero precautions)

My planning for the inevitable failure of others has done me very, very well in my life. ^_~
  • edited January 2010
    My planning for the inevitable failure of others has done me very, very well in my life. ^_~
    Rym, I advocate taking precautions and being realistic that situations can and will go wrong, that really isn't the same as being jaded. Being jaded is the attitude with which someone approaches the situation. My motto is: "Plan for the worst, but hope for the best." Reality usually comes out somewhere in between. ^_~
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • My motto is: "Get everything in writing, get everything signed, provide every notice or complaint in writing, and take lots of photos."

That is, of course, only applicable to my leases. If that were my boyfriend motto, I'm pretty sure Pete would slit my throat in my sleep.
  • edited January 2010
    My motto is: "Get everything in writing, get everything signed, provide every notice or complaint in writing, and take lots of photos."

That is, of course, only applicable to my leases. If that were my boyfriend motto, I'm pretty sure Pete would slit my throat in my sleep.
    Or just not date you. I would hope he doesn't just slash random girls he finds annoying. If he did, I would have been dead long ago. O.O
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited January 2010
    Or just not date you. I would hope he doesn't just slash random girls he finds annoying. If he did, I would have been dead long ago. O.O
    Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: Also, Nuri, if you want to start providing every complaint in writing, I can deal with that. It may lead to less complaining overall. :)
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • EDIT: Also, Nuri, if you want to start providing every complaint in writing, I can deal with that. It may lead to less complaining overall. :)
    Do you REALLY want me to stop in the middle of whatever we're doing just so I can write "no, no, a little to the left" down?

Besides, most of my complaints to you aren't about you.
  • Do you REALLY want me to stop in the middle of whatever we're doing just so I can write "no, no, a little to the left" down?
    Let alone get it notarized.
  • If you are interested in mediation or arbitration, you better find out the difference between the two. They are not the same.
    QFT!
    Look into the various programs available in the state/county/town that you can avail yourself off and determine if they are actually preferable to a small claims matter. Some mediation and arbitration programs cost quite a bit more than filing a small claims action.
    Some small claims courts will send you to mediation right after the Complaint and Answer are filed before they'll even consider setting a hearing date.

Mediation is not a very predictable process. Variables include the intransigence of the parties, the actual dispute (mediation usually works in divorces, but personal injury is usually a lot harder to mediate), and the skill and motivation of the mediator.
  • ...the skill and motivation of the mediator.
    I have seen many, many matters where the mediator appeared to be completely ignorant of the relevant State laws.
  • Do you REALLY want me to stop in the middle of whatever we're doing just so I can write "no, no, a little to the left" down?
    Only if you formatted it properly.
    I don't know. That sounds kind of fun.
  • edited January 2010
    ...the skill and motivation of the mediator.
    I have seen many, many matters where the mediator appeared to be completely ignorant of the relevant State laws.
    If Kate was involved, it would be a Peediation. Kate would be the Peediatrician.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
    You are a freak...
    You are a freak...
    Sex or paperwork? Sex or paperwork? I JUST CAN'T DECIDE!
  • Sex or paperwork? Sex or paperwork? I JUST CAN'T DECIDE!
    You can file me under "S" for "studmuffin." Awwwwwwwwwwww yeah.
    You can file me under "S" for "studmuffin." Awwwwwwwwwwww yeah.
    How about file me with "B"! Because I'll be Betw-....yeah I shouldn't say that.
    You know, I think this made me a little more jaded, but a little less naive. Kind of like when Rym trusted People not to steal his bike and they did.
    Don't be jaded. Just use the information to safeguard yourself in the future. Naivete is terrible, but so is being jaded.
    YES! THIS! DO THAT! People will dick someone over and it sucks that this is happening to you. You leanred something from it, know what to do from here and you're gonna do it! Jaded-ness is like 2 inches to minor dick-ness.
    Ladies and Gentlemen, a Lawyer is born.
  • You are a freak...
    Thank you! I do my best, but so few people give proper credit these days!
    Why can't it be both? "Mr. Notoriety, get over here and stamp the hell out of this!"
    You are a freak...
    That sounds like Katsu's perfect woman :-p
    You are a freak...
    That sounds like Katsu's perfect woman :-p
    All she needs to have is an avid interest in mecha-musume. Only then she will be perfect.
  • All she needs to have is an avid interest in the body of a mecha-musume. Onlythenshe will be perfect.
  • The infallible ability of this forum to go creatively off-topic never ceases to raise at least one of my eyebrows.
  • The infallible ability of this forum to go creatively off-topic never ceases to raise at least one of my eyebrows.
    Welcome to the Internet. Might I interest you in some enhancement drugs :-p
  • Welcome to the Internet. Might I interest you in some enhancement drugs :-p
    So, let me get this straight: you're saying that what a lesbian woman really needs is a big dick? I just want to make sure we're all clear on that.
  • Welcome to the Internet. Might I interest you in some enhancement drugs :-p
    So, let me get this straight: you're saying that what a lesbian woman really needs is a big dick? I just want to make sure we're all clear on that.
    If so, a big dick belonging to whom? To the lesbian woman?
  • If so, a big dick belonging to whom? To the lesbian woman?
    Depends on the lesbian, and she can just go pick one off the rack. :)
  • So, let me get this straight: you're saying that what a lesbian woman really needs is a big dick? I just want to make sure we're all clear on that.
    Clearly, you are a perceptive man.
  • So, let me get this straight: you're saying that what a lesbian woman really needs is a big dick? I just want to make sure we're all clear on that.
    Clearly, you are a perceptive man.
    Really. I was more under the impression that you were saying that a lesbian man really needs is a bigger vagina.
  • lesbian man
    So... a heterosexual man?