This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100125 - Tablet Computing

2»

Comments

• Co-worker also got a perfect score using identical monitor.
  • Co-worker also got a perfect score using identical monitor.
    I got a perfect score on this.
  • edited January 2010
    Co-worker also got a perfect score using identical monitor.
    The idea is for you to take the test in what you consider a sub par monitor now.
    I got a perfect score onthis.
    How many colors can it display?
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • In a test like this, dithering is a lot more effective than it would be otherwise. Even cheapass 6-bit monitors should be enough for perfect scores.
  • edited January 2010
    In a test like this, dithering is a lot more effective than it would be otherwise. Even cheapass 6-bit monitors should be enough for perfect scores.
    You can't honestly say that you can recognize the dithering patterns in a small square between 16bit and 32bit color ranges.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • How many colors can it display?
    It's TFT, so it's not like Scott's.
  • My generic work computer monitor got me a score of 12. But I don't necessarily blame it, nor do I really care. My eyes are slightly worse than Vhdblood's (but no surgeries), and my current glasses are weak/old, so that's probably a factor too.
  • Also, this is really supposed to be a test for colorblindness, not of monitors. I can make a monitor test. I will do it later.
  • In a test like this, dithering is a lot more effective than it would be otherwise. Even cheapass 6-bit monitors should be enough for perfect scores.
    You can't honestly say that you can recognize the dithering patterns in a small square between 16bit and 32bit color ranges.
    I'm not saying I recognise the dithering patterns; however, the eye will see these patterns as intermediate colours and hence you will be able to distinguish more than 18 bits worth of colours.
  • Scott's initial comment when the monitor discussion started - something to the effect of "There was some talk about monitors on the forums, and I was right, because I was the only one who knew what I was talking about" - I laughed out loud and startled the dude next to me on the bus, because it was almost verbatim for what I expected Scott to say as soon as the topic came up.

Though, the comment just reminds me of an old saying I was told, on the night of my very first open mic - "Don't worry about hecklers unless you want to. They should know better than to fuck with the guy who has the microphone, because everybody hears you, and not everybody hears him. You will always win, because you're louder."
  • Start of podcast: Not going to talk about anime stuff because it's monday and tech people don't care.
    Middle of podcast: anime geek fest!

Made me smile.
  • Start of podcast: Not going to talk about anime stuff because it's monday and tech people don't care.
    Middle of podcast: anime geek fest!

Made me smile.
    Agreed. It was like an oreo. Delicious cream in the middle, but it's squished in by two chemically unsettling cookies.
  • I finished listening to the podcast. I agree with you about the tablet. To be honest, as long as it has a web browser so I can easily and comfortably do all my internetting from my bed of the couch, I'll probably buy on as soon as it's available. Certainly if it has a book reader built in, and I can't see it NOT having one. Stanza works well on the iPhone, but a bigger screen would be perfect. Also you said "Maybe it would work perfectly if everything else you have is Apple" and that applies to me pretty well. I have an iphone, ipod touch and a macbook. If the tablet slots into that, and they all talk to each other, it just makes things easier for me (tough harder on my wallet.

Also, I think it's funny you keep bringing up "juggler" as the coolest lifestyle. If I could be anything, I'd be a movie director. That's real glamour.
  • edited January 2010
    I'd be a movie director. That's real glamour.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • If the tablet slots into that, and they all talk to each other, it just makes things easier for me (tough harder on my wallet.
    I'd probably buy one if it had an iPhone slot so I could tether for 3G anywhere, especially if call and contact integration was seamless.

I may not like your computers, but you haven't done me wrong on yet on portables, Apple. Let's see if you come through on the type of computer I've been wanting since I first tottered over to a 3.1 box many moons ago.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    @Churba: That's real cold man, even in jest.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • @Churba: That's real cold man, even in jest.
    That's because I forgot to edit the quote. I've fixed that now.
  • @Churba: That's real cold man, even in jest.
    That's because I forgot to edit the quote. I've fixed that now.
    Oh okay...makes a lot more sense and I get the joke. But still...no one should ever amount to that man.
  • Oh okay...makes a lot more sense and I get the joke. But still...no one should ever amount to that man.
    It's just a joke, it's no big. I know I'd watch a movie Luke directed, I mean, I can't speak of his experience, but he's got his head on straight and the bloke has skills.
  • Oh okay...makes a lot more sense and I get the joke. But still...no one should ever amount to that man.
    It's just a joke, it's no big. I know I'd watch a movie Luke directed, I mean, I can't speak of his experience, but he's got his head on straight and the bloke has skills.
    That I will I agree with.
  • Is that Uwe Boll? Man, he's awesome! I've never seen any of his films, and I've never wanted to, but his film making strategy is inspired.
  • Good episode..got a comment about Windows 7 Professional. I had to buy it for my main machine because I RDP into it from work. You can't RDP IN to a Home Premium machine. I did buy Home Premium for my MacBook Pro though.

I agree, Ultimate is useless.
  • Good episode..got a comment about Windows 7 Professional. I had to buy it for my main machine because I RDP into it from work. You can't RDP IN to a Home Premium machine. I did buy Home Premium for my MacBook Pro though.

I agree, Ultimate is useless.
    What are you RDPing into your computer for? RDP is a really inefficient means of controlling a computer remotely. There is probably a non-RPD way to do what you do more efficiently. Also, there are free alternatives to Microsoft's RDP, like VNC. However, Microsoft's RDP is very good.
  • edited January 2010
    That vision test brings up an interesting question about these monitors. While Scott seems to have near perfect vision, I'm quite color blind (the color green gives me issues.) I scored 113, would I have done substantially better on Scott's pretty monitor, I wonder.
    What are you RDPing into your computer for?
    However, Microsoft's RDP is very good.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I scored 113, would I have done substantially better on Scott's pretty monitor, I wonder.
    You probably wouldn't have done significantly better because your color-blindness outweighs the difference in the monitor. Despite this, monitors like the UltraSharp have more advanced color calibration options. They work well in concert with the calibration tools included in OSX and Windows. It may be possible to configure the monitor and video driver in such a way as to be better for you.
  • In regards to the comment on the show about tablets being marketed to doctors for instant digitization of notes, yet being insufficient in its capabilities:
    You are fucking correct. I work part time 5 days a week at a Medical Center in the IT department. We get calls every bloody day about the tablets with these usual problems:
    1. The electronic medical record software gives and error. (IE: Lost internet connection.)
    2. The "Internet isn't working and we restarted it like 5 times."
    3. The "doctor is screaming that the tablet wont connect. Please come out here!"
    4. The tablet keeps going to sleep if they leave it for a while (Basic stuff here... Learning to turn off Power Saver Settings aren't a requirement for a PHD)
    5. Sometimes the screens brightness goes down.
    6. The hinge holding the screen breaks.
    7. The pen gets lost.
    8. And my personal opinion and most critical point: The handwriting is illegible on the digital notes!
    I do not want one of my doctors being put through such trivial matters while I'm sitting in the waiting room, but if the problem persists there is nothing they can do but fall back on hand written notes, or make the patient wait. It also can be a bit frustrating for my higher-ups who have more pressing issues to deal with than the idiocracy Dell and Lenovo have bestowed upon us.

Ah. Feel good now.
  • I want a tablet running a linux with Unity. Fairly certain my only option would be Ubuntu, but what version of Ubuntu should I use? What should I put on it to make it more touch-screen friendly? On-screen keyboard recommendations? Anyone had experience with a Unity tablet before? And most importantly; Which tablet should I get for it?

Tempted to get an iPad, since at least that I know will be quality hardware, even if overpriced (that would probably mean waiting till iPad 3 and get a second hand iPad 2), but I dunno if I would even be able to install a different OS onto that or not.