This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Coverage/Thoughts of the Apple "Tablet?" Event

edited January 2010 in Technology
Since there wasn't a thread on the forum for this (and didn't want to add to the tablet episode thread), being the good little apple fan-boy I'd thought I'd start one.

Live Blogging from Apple Event on 27th January "Come See Our Latest Creation"
1. ARS Technica
2. GDGT
3. Technologizer
4. Slashgear
5. Gizmodo
Oddly my favorite (Macrumors) doesn't seem to have a live feed this year. Thoughts, speculation reactions? Any fav feeds I've missed? There's TwitLive starting at noon EST, but it is not really inside coverage, more of cometary on the event. I for one can't believe there isn't any rumors of wifi syncing to your computers iTunes. I mean the apple TV can do it, why not our wireless devices?

Comments

• Meh.

I predict exactly what I predicted on the show: a cool product that falls just short of being truly great and costs too much. It'll have one "killer app" and one or two "big things," but will lack several obvious features that will thus make it effectively worthless to someone like me.
  • edited January 2010
    What if they finally bring wifi syncing for all iPhone OS devices? still "meh"? (Or is it more of a "about freak'n time!) This hopefully will not be just be about the tablet. Hopefully some much needed upgrades to the iPhone line.

Also of note TwitLive is now broadcasting live via Skype. We'll see how long that stays working. Apparently Apple's letting camera crews in there at the moment so might even be some video feeds this year.
    Post edited by Tasel on
  • What if they finally bring wifi syncing for all iPhone OS devices? still "meh"?
    Too little, too late.
  • I think it might help kickstart the push for ebooks in education, but that's about it.
  • edited January 2010
    Price will kill this deal for me. I don't want to pay for a data plan, either. I'm not a sucker who gets lulled into complacency by a lower price when a data plan that I don't need is required.

The WSJ is predicting that ebooks will cost MORE than Amazon charges. 30-50 percent more. WTF?????? If it's a good ebook reader, I'd actually be tempted. But paying a lot of money for a device that requires the purchase of absurdly expensive content is not too appealing.

But these are all rumors at this point...
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • ...so it's a big iTouch/iPhone...great
  • He keeps trying to say that it's more than an IPhone, but as long as it's got the IPhone OS under the hood, how much more can it really be?
  • ...so it's a big iTouch/iPhone...great
    The answer for people with tragically large hands.
  • but will lack several obvious features that will thus make it effectively worthless to someone like me.
    How about Flash? That does it for me. Even the Wii has Flash.
  • It's a gigantic iPod touch. I'll buy it if the price is really low. Otherwise, who cares.
  • Man, I like it if only because the wireless (unlimited) plan is 29.99. There are no contracts and it can work as an e-reader. I will wait a little bit more of time to see if my favorite books can be found there.
  • edited January 2010
    Wireless is with AT&T. Ouch.

$499, though. Better than I was expecting. But since you don't get much memory for that price, I really wish there was an SD card slot. A model with wireless starts at $629, which seems pretty absurd. The cheap data plan makes up for that a little bit, but as I stated earlier, I don't need the data plan in the first place.
  • edited January 2010
    I'd much rather speand $500 on an actual computer, than a big iPod touch. If this thing ran OS X I could at least understand, but the iPhone OS is not really useful for anyone wanting to do more than dick around.

Also, am I the only one who thinks iPad sounds like a feminine hygiene product from Apple?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I´ll be buying one. The book reader formet is ePub, and that´s all I need to know. Just an iPod Touch with a bigger screen? Great! That´s all I want!

• Also, am I the only one who thinks iPad sounds like a feminine hygiene product from Apple?
    No.
  • The Thinkpad x100e seems to be a much better value.
  • Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the name. Personally, I thought iSlate sounded cool and modern.

Looks like Rym was spot on.
  • edited January 2010

Also, am I the only one who thinks iPad sounds like a feminine hygiene product from Apple?
    No.
    Even the news anchors think so
    Looks like Rym was spot on.
    What would the killer app be? It's basically a Duplo version of the iPhone.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Thinkpad x100e
    I have a laptop. I don´t need another laptop. I have an iPhone and an iPod Touch, so I don´t need one of them either. I want a big screen and no keyboard.

Also, I have money.
  • Also, am I the only one who thinks iPad sounds like a feminine hygiene product from Apple?
    Hmm... I wonder is the iPad will alleviate camps, bloating, fatigue, and that pesky bleeding issue.
  • Also, I have money.
    Like most of Apple's "target demographic."
  • It's an ebook reader with a normal screen that leeches of the iPhone app store for more functionality. Typical Apple pricing too.
  • Can't wait for the 300 dollar cheaper off brand model that is just better!
  • edited January 2010
    It's an ebook reader with a normal screen that leeches of the iPhone app store for more functionality. Typical Apple pricing too.
    But it's got 16 GIGABYTES of space! You can fit MILLIONS of ebooks on that!
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited January 2010
    The more I look at this thing, the more I just can't figure out why I would need it. The ONLY thing it seems to excel at is an ebook reader. But at this price point, forget it.

As nice as the size is for certain uses, it is a liability for many other uses.

Which brings me to my next problem. The price. Now that I look at what a model you would want would actually cost, this thing is insanely expensive. 16GB is a joke. 32GB is the minimum, and you'd really want 64GB. With no wireless, it would be $699. You would definitely need some accesories, such as a case. That's just WAAAAY too much money for something that I don't even need.
  • Our most advanced technology in a magical and revolutionary device at an unbelievable price.
  • Oh man, it's a spell book too!