This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Coverage/Thoughts of the Apple "Tablet?" Event

Comments

• Giant iPhone or tiny Steve Jobs?
  • I use my iPhone all the time for internet and email in bed and around the house. Also, when I´m traveling, which I do a lot, I use my iPod Touch as a book reader and music device so it doesn´t run down the iPhone battery. So what I really wanted from this device is something that synchs with my laptop for music and contacts and calendar and everything, that I can use in bed and on the move for internet and reading.

Killer for me:
    - iBooks uses ePub format, which means you can get books from anywhere.
    - Runs iPhone apps. Which means Stanza book reader if the iBooks doesn´t work out.
    - Doesn´t cost very much for the most basic model, and I don`t need storage or 3G internet.

I´m not going to defend the product to anyone. If you don´t think you need or want it, or can´t afford it, just don´t buy it. But I´ll buy it.
  • The whole app store software model is what really kills it for me. Such a closed down system essentially make it useless to me and really limits the potential of the hardware.
  • The app store for any platform is stupid. 99.99% of apps are either useless crap, broken, or both.
  • edited January 2010
    Easy, Luke. It's a subjective matter.

Although... you already have an IPhone and ITouch to do these things (synching with laptop for music, calendar contacts, etc.). And there is a Kindle app for the IPhone.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Easy, Luke. It's a subjective issue.
    Yeah, which is why I wonder why there´s so much negativity about this and other apple products. I don´t have a TV, nor do I have a dishwasher. To someone with plenty of time, a dish washer is stupid, pointless,takes up too much room, only has one function, and people who use them are lazy. Some people value a machine for washing up, but to me washing up is just one of those things I don´t mind doing myself. To many people all the things I like about the iPad (from what I´ve read so far) are the same things that turn them off. Does that make me stupid? No. I just have different needs and desires.
  • edited January 2010
    I don't think there is much negativity here regarding Apple. They make a lot of excellent products. Most people, though, don't have any need for a device that falls between an IPhone and a laptop. But maybe you do. No big deal.

And if you don't have a need for it (which your earlier post suggests), but just want a toy, then that's fine too.
  • Easy, Luke. It's a subjective matter.

Although... you already have an IPhone and ITouch to do these things (synching with laptop for music, calendar contacts, etc.). And there is a Kindle app for the IPhone.
    I don´t want "something" to synch with my laptop. I already have something. What I want is something with a bigger screen, but no keyboard. Those things already exist, but they don´t synch with my laptop. The emphasis isn´t on the "something" it´s on the "able to synch".
  • edited January 2010
    What I want is something with a bigger screen, but no keyboard.
    Why? Other than as an ebook reader, I don't see the need to go keyboard-less.

And why don't those "other" things synch with your laptop? Surely there is software that would do this. Is there no hardware that will run this software?
  • No. I just have different needs and desires.
    Preach it, Brother!
    I don't want an iPad, but I can see why someone might. It's all good.
    *hee-hee iPad - I wonder if they will pass them out in those akward health clases where they seperate the boys and girls and give them "the talk."
  • What I want is something with a bigger screen, but no keyboard.
    Why?
    Haven´t I already written that over and over? Because I want to read and have internet access in bed and while on the move. I can do this on my laptop already, but it´s a complete pain. I can do this on my iPhone already, which is excellent, but the screen is too small. How is this hard to understand?
  • Yeah, which is why I wonder why there´s so much negativity about this and other apple products.
    There's negativity because there is lack of achieving full potential.

Something open like Android has all the functionality people are looking for, but the interface sucks! It's a pain in the ass to use it. Apple has wonderful interfaces that everyone loves, but they have no functionality! It took them over a year just to get copy paste. They make products that don't do half the things they COULD do, and people want to do.

It's really easy to make this functionality. It's so easy, that every open source person can make it happen. Any programmer can add features. Not every programmer can make nice interfaces. Nice interfaces are hard, and Apple seems to be the only company in the world that knows how to make them.

Apple could save the entire world if they would just make something with a beautiful interface and also not limit functionality. It would instantly be the king and take over 100% market share in everything. There would be no debate. No forcing to choose between openness and niceness. Both at once.

Imagine if Superman was the only one who could save the world, but he didn't. That's Apple. They are the only ones who can save us, but they keep making nice interfaces with extremely severe limitations on functionality. They also put extremely high margins on their products, and rip everyone off. Thus, ire.
  • Easy, Luke. It's a subjective matter.

I don´t want "something" to synch with my laptop. I already have something. What I want is something with a bigger screen, but no keyboard. Those things already exist, but they don´t synch with my laptop. The emphasis isn´t on the "something" it´s on the "able to synch".
    I'd wait for the HP Slate or look up Archos for alternatives first.
  • I actually just hate apple. So your thoughts of negativity are justified :-p
  • edited January 2010
    Because I want to read and have internet access in bed and while on the move. I can do this on my laptop already, but it´s a complete pain. I can do this on my iPhone already, which is excellent, but the screen is too small. How is this hard to understand?
    You can't use your laptop while in bed? Other than while actively moving, I don't see how this is any better than a laptop. Sorry, but I don't. It's a lot easier to put a laptop on your lap (hence the name) than to have this thing sitting in your lap.

I'm not trying to be snarky here, I just honestly don't get it. Saying it's better doesn't mean much. Tell me why.
  • What I want is something with a bigger screen, but no keyboard.
    Why? Other than as an ebook reader, I don't see the need to go keyboard-less.

And why don't those "other" things synch with your laptop? Surely there is software that would do this. Is there no hardware that will run this software?
    There might be software, there might be hacks, there might be all kinds of things. If you find something that will synch as easily as my phone does with my laptop, tell me about it.
  • Thus, ire.
    Okay, this I understand. But as someone who is happy with the functionality of my iPhone, and just want a bigger screen, I´m happy with the Apple approach.
  • *hee-hee iPad - I wonder if they will pass them out in those awkward health classes where they separate the boys and girls and give them "the talk."
    They'll learn how they're used when they're getting their iPeriod.
  • You can't use your laptop while in bed? Other than while actively moving, I don't see how this is any better than a laptop. Sorry, but I don't. It's a lot easier to put a laptop on your lap (hence the name) than to have this thing sitting in your lap.

I'm not trying to be snarky here, I just honestly don't get it. Saying it's better doesn't mean much. Tell me why.
    Lay on your side in bed. Read a book on a laptop. Get back to me.

Wait, don´t you have an ebook reader?
  • What I wanted out of this was an Apple tablet laptop and I didn't get it. I'm pretty pissed off.
  • Lay on your side in bed. Read a book on a laptop. Get back to me.

Wait, don´t you have an ebook reader?
    That's correct. I have an e-book reader. That's why I don't read books on my laptop in bed. And that's why I've said that the one thing this device excels at is as an ebook reader.

But you can get an ebook reader for much cheaper. And the books Apple sells are 30-50% more than Amazon's e-books.

So if that's the only advantage this device gives you, I just saved you a ton of money.
  • So if that's the only advantage this device gives you, I just saved you a ton of money.
    If you go back and read what I´ve said over and over you´ll find that isn´t the only advantage this device might give me. You think I don´t already know about ebook readers? Sigh.
  • edited January 2010
    Forgive my ignorance, but what are some of the other advantages? I thought that I addressed several generic points you made, and I only know of one use (reading in bed) that you said made this device superior.

If you just want it as a toy, I've got no problem with that. I'm just trying to figure out what it's better at. Trust me, I'd like to know. I'd really like to justify buying this thing.

So far we agree that it beats a laptop or IPhone as an e-book reader.

Other than that, all you've really said is: "Because I want to read and have internet access in bed and while on the move"

Okay... so give me some specific examples of how this device is superior to a laptop or IPhone while "in bed and while on the move."

The e-book function was a good one, albeit overly expensive. What are some others?
  • What I wanted out of this was an Apple tablet laptop and I didn't get it. I'm pretty pissed off.
    I´d love a modbook too! Except I can´t imagine how hot it would get.
  • So far we agree that it beats a laptop or IPhone as an e-book reader.
    And it beats a dedicated ebook reader as a mobile internet device. And it beats the iPhone on screen size. And it beats the laptop on comfort. And it beats ebook readers at synching with my laptop.

This is all I want. Compared to dedicated devices it probably isn´t better at anything. But it doesn´t have to be better at anything. It has to be good at what it is. And, judging from the live-blogging of the event, it´s exactly the device I want.

Again, you don´t have to justify buying it for YOU. But I have justified (probably) buying it for ME. For MY needs. If you´re still confused about this, I can´t help you.

Do you have a TV? Do you have a dish washer? I don´t. But I´m not asking you to justify why I should buy those things.
  • Do you have a TV? Do you have a dish washer? I don´t. But I´m not asking you to justify why I should buy those things.
    I'm sick and tired of those fucking Whirlpool fanboys and their fucking dishwashers! "Ooooooh I can wash dishes and eat lunch at the same time"... meh.
  • edited January 2010
    And it beats a dedicated ebook reader as a mobile internet device.
    You have more than one mobile internet device already.
    And it beats the iPhone on screen size.
    So does your laptop.
    And it beats the laptop on comfort.
    I argue that it doesn't. Try typing on this while riding the train. Put this on the table that you are sitting at, and tell me that you're happy with the viewing angle. I can come up with many more examples. In any event, under your theory, your IPhone is more comfortable than a laptop. So this base is already covered.
    And it beats ebook readers at synching with my laptop.
    Huh? My ebook reader synchs quite nicely. Any ebook reader will.
    This is all I want.
    Then you definitely don't need an IPad.

No problem if you want it as a gadget. But you still haven't shown a real need for it. But again, that's okay.

One use that would be cool would be at sporting events. You could get instant replays, stats, etc. I like that idea!
  • edited January 2010
    So I've come up with an effective analogy for why I don't understand the the iPad.

A computer is like a SUV or full-size car. It can do just about anything you could ever need to do, but it's hard to park and bad on gas. A netbook is like a super-mini class car, can still do car things on a smaller scale, but good on gas, and pretty easy to park. A smartphone is like a scooter, the ultimate in mobility, parking and gas mileage, but it's no car. The iPad is a full-size motorcycle. It costs as much as a super-mini, fast as hell, but offers none of the practicality of a car. So people who want a car have no use for it and people who have a scooter look at it and say it's too hard to park.

If you want a motorcycle, the iPad maybe be brilliant, but it's not practical for most people.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • The iPad is a full-size motorcycle. It costs as much as a super-mini, fast as hell, but offers none of the practicality of a car. So people who want a car have no use for it and people who have a scooter look at it and say it's too hard to park.
    An yet there is a very large market for full sized motorcycles, and chicks dig dudes who have them.
  • So the iPad is for bikers?