This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Coverage/Thoughts of the Apple "Tablet?" Event

Comments

• I think that's a good analogy. Large motorcycles are most often a toy. No problem if you want one, but I personally can't justify the purchase.
  • An yet there is a very large market for full sized motorcycles
    Yes, but no where near as large as the market for cars, or (in Europe) scooters.
  • So the iPad is for bikers?
    No, that's the iPed.
  • edited January 2010
    An yet there is a very large market for full sized motorcycles
    Yes, but no where near as large as the market for cars, or (in Europe) scooters.
    So you're arguing from the perspective of a business decision? Apple has cars and scooters covered and I think the size of the motorcycle market will be shown in due time.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • An yet there is a very large market for full sized motorcycles, and chicks dig dudes who have them.
    Harley just had their worst quarter in a very long time. I think they actually posted a loss.
  • An yet there is a very large market for full sized motorcycles, and chicks dig dudes who have them.
    Harley just had their worst quarter in a very long time. I think they actually posted a loss.
    That has relevance to this discussion how?
  • edited January 2010
    I don't care if Apple sells billions of iPads. I only care if I should personally purchase one. Right now, it seems like a nice toy. That's about it. Not worth it to me, but perhaps worth it to others.

And one other thought... If this is good with textbooks, for students this would be attractive. But how many students can afford a laptop and also an IPad?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • So you're arguing from the perspective of a business decision? Apple has cars and scooters covered and I think the size of the motorcycle market will be shown in due time.
    No, I'm arguing this is a device pretty much solely for entertainment. The iPod touch is 600cc sport bike to the iPads 1000cc. The question is, is there a good market for a 1000cc sport bike. At this point it's fairly uncharted territory.
  • edited January 2010
    But how many students can afford a laptop and also an IPad?
    Laptops are dirt cheap if you got for refurbished models. You can get a laptop that can run Windows 7 and upto Halflife 2 level games for about £200 and the prices fall everyday
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • edited January 2010
    No, I'm arguing this is a device pretty much solely for entertainment. The iPod touch is 600cc sport bike to the iPads 1000cc. The question is, is there a good market for a 1000cc sport bike. At this point it's fairly uncharted territory.
    Truth. I'm sure they will sell plenty. But I question if this is really a game-changing device.
  • edited January 2010
    I think Apple should really try to get this into schools. You could have all of your textbooks on it, and could even do your homework right on it. Tap the screen, and your homework could be sent right to your teacher. Parents could monitor lessons and homework as well.

The textbook publishers should develop some kick-ass apps.

That's pretty cool. Useless to me, but nice for students.
  • And one other thought... If this is good with textbooks, for students this would be attractive. But how many students can afford a laptop and also an IPad?
    You say that as if the students are typically the ones who pay for their own computers.
  • But I question if this is really a game-changing device.
    I don't it's not, it's a bigger-engined sportbike. Putting a bigger engine in a vehicle so it goes faster is hardly new. Exciting yes, but not new and game-changing.
  • You say that as if the students are typically the ones who pay for their own computers.
    For those that don't, how many parents will be willing to purchase a laptop and an iPad? I suppose a student could buy the keyboard add-on and forego a laptop, but since this only runs apps, is that really an option?
  • edited January 2010
    Was there any mention of video-out for this device? It would be nice if you could hook it up to a TV and play 1080p (or at least 720p) video. Is the processor not capable of that?
  • You say that as if the students are typically the ones who pay for their own computers.
    For those that don't, how many parents will be willing to purchase a laptop and an iPad?
    You'd be surprised how many parents I know who just throw the latest Apple gadget at their children.
  • You'd be surprised how many parents I know who just throw the latest Apple gadget at their children.
    Will any adopt a cranky adult like me?
  • You'd be surprised how many parents I know who just throw the latest Apple gadget at their children.
    Are you two talking about the same kind of students?
    Why? You don't want an iPad. :-p
  • Holy shit, there is a secret product in Apple's website!

I introduce the iPad Nano!
  • edited January 2010
    Are you two talking about the same kind of students?
    That's the kind of students I'm thinking of.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Are you two talking about the same kind of students?
    That's the kind of students I'm thinking of.
    Wow, you just found the entirety of my year!
  • This was profoundly disappointing. Not only does it seem to lack any new functionality I would want, the fact that it's tied to the app store with iPad OS instead of running OS X means that, for someone like me, it's basically crippled beyond all belief. I'll buy a Windows one and use open source stuff to do what I want.
    Why? You don't want an iPad. :-p
    There's a difference between wanting something, and thinking it's worth buying.
  • edited January 2010
    Oh-so-relevant.

EDIT: Granted, I find some of those ridiculously invalid (4, 6, 7, 9, 10), but there are a few good points.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • ridiculously invalid (4, 6, 7, 9, 10)
    I agree with 4 and 6. 6 especially, as it struck while reading it that there are a lot of tablet devices already, and none have caught on. It will be interesting to see if Apple can succeed where nearly everyone else has failed.
  • I introduce the iPad Nano!
    This made me laugh out loud.
  • The only reason why I'm tempted to get an iPad is because I generally spend over $400 a semester on text books anyway. If I purchase an iPad, I can always just get PDF's of my textbook on the internet and read it on the convenient device. It saves me the hassle of carrying around all of those heavy books, as well as money in the long run.
  • I agree with 4
    I plan on using a tablet all over my GeekHaus/GeekPartment...But only with IR transmission and RFID transmission. I can hack a Microsoft Slate to do all that for me, because it runs streamlined Windows 7. iPhone OS leaves no room for anything but Apple-approved devices and programs.
  • What I wonder about is - How long are we going to have to listen to people wankering on about how it's a "computing revolution", despite that it's just an ipod touch with a bigger screen?