This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Coverage/Thoughts of the Apple "Tablet?" Event

Comments

• edited January 2010
    What I wonder about is - How long are we going to have to listen to people wankering on about how it's a "computing revolution", despite that it's just an ipod touch with a bigger screen?
    No sooner did I sit down in the dining hall tonight (less than 30 minutes ago), then a guy behind me went, "You guys, the iPad? Pretty much the best thing ever." The girls he was sitting with asked why, and he went, "Well, it's like a giant iPhone with a keyboard dock, and you can buy books on it. And it can use any app from the App Store!"

I wanted to turn around and succinctly explain why, instead of making it the best thing ever, those things made it possibly Apple's worst product yet.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Just read on CNET that there is NO flash support.
  • I'm wondering if the keyboard dock will work with an iPhone. That would be pretty cool. I wouldn't buy the keyboard, but I know a lot of people moan about the iPhone not having a physical keyboard.
    Then you definitely don't need an IPad.
    Okay, Kilarney, to make it really simple for you, here is exactly what I want:

I want an iPod Touch with a larger screen.

Now, a lot of people are moaning that that is all the new iPad is. Well, that's fine by me, because that's all I want! As long as this reproduces exactly the same functionality of my iPod Touch, I'm happy. I have a macbook, and it's perfect for all its uses. I have an iPhone and it's perfect for all its uses. I have an iPod Touch and it is almost perfect for all its uses, but it could do with a bigger screen. If it had a screen four times the size (about 6 or 7 inches) that would be fine, but 10 inches is cool too. Also, as far as I can tell, it can show PDF files far better than anything on the iPod Touch or iPhone, so that makes me happy too.

So, Kilarney, if you can think of another device that replicates all the functionality of an iPod Touch, but has a bigger screen, tell me about it.
  • edited January 2010
    Your laptop is better at PDFs too.

What are some specific uses for which you want an IPod with a bigger screen? I'm referring to uses that a laptop does not also do.

I understand what the hardware is, but, other than an ebook reader, you're not giving specific uses for the hardware.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Just read on CNET that there is NO flash support.
    This might be a good thing. Perhaps it will convince the big guys to hurry up and finalize the HTML 5 standards.
  • No OLED? WTF?
  • No OLED? WTF?
    OLED is crazy expensive at that size. However it does have an IPS LCD which we recently learned is better than all of your desktop LCDs.
  • Good news on the ebook front. This article says that third-party apps will run on the iPad. Kobo is already there, and they believe that the Kindle app will eventually be available. If true, that's good for pricing. But will Apple really let Amazon undercut their own store? The price difference between the two stores is substantial. Apple seems to be most often 50% more expensive.

If Amazon is allowed to have an app, I'd be tempted. You would essentially get a really good ebook reader that can do some other so-so things. Since a normal ebook reader is $200-$350, the question is whether the extra functionality is worth a couple hundred dollars more. Close call. If it wasn't running the iPhone OS, it would be an easy decision.

Of course one problem with the app store is that Apple could decide to remove an Amazon app after they've approved it. Hopefully they wouldn't want the bad PR.

I'm thinking that I may jump on a second edition if it has an OLED screen and camera. I'd also really want a memory card slot and/or USB port, but I'm not holding my breath on those.
  • I'm thinking that I may jump on a second edition if it has an OLED screen and camera.
    To use the lingo all the kids are using these days: THIS!
    Apple has a habit of adding half of what you actually want in the short-cycle second revision of any given product. Probably along with a straight shift of price-per-capacity, dropping of the lowest end, and the addition of one higher end model.

Never buy the first run unless you need it now. The second one is much better, is two more than x.
  • edited January 2010
    Never buy the first run unless you need it now. The second one is much better, is two more than x.
    This is generally the rule of thumb when it comes to Apple products. Early adopters get shafted with products that have potential, but haven't reached it.

I'm probably going to consider the iPad 2.0 when it (inevitably) comes out.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Early All adopters get shafted with products that have potential, but haven't reached it.
    Name one Apple product ever since the Apple ][gs that doesn't have some severe limitations.
  • Your laptop is better at PDFs too.
    But the iPad will be better than the Touch. I find novels I want to read in PDF format all the time, and I just can't read them on my laptop, as reading a novel on my laptop is pretty much impossible.
    What are some specific uses for which you want an IPod with a bigger screen? I'm referring to uses that a laptop does not also do.
    I can't. That's not the point. I have a desktop computer, and I'm sure everything my laptop can do, the desktop can do too. Everything. Except, of course, fit in my suitcase when I travel (about 50 flights last year). It isn't about replicating functionality. I carry an ipod touch AND an iPhone with me when I travel, and use both around the home. Some people have two cars. Some people have two bikes, like me. One for riding round Berlin, and one that fits in the van for when I'm traveling. Both do EXACTLY the same thing, but the different sizes means they are used at different times.

That's all I want. A different size of the device.

I understand what the hardware is, but, other than an ebook reader, you're not giving specific uses for the hardware.
    Maybe I just want an ebook reader? Is that enough?
  • That thing must essentially be a big battery if it can do 10 hrs of video playback.
  • The 10 hour stat is a scam that the media has fell for. All jobs said was that they have been able to get "up to" 10 hours of battery life. The way he said it means that maybe they just were able to do that once. And he did NOT say that it was under normal operating conditions. I'm expecting a realistic battery life to be somewhere around 4-6 hours with normal use.
  • That thing must essentially be a big battery if it can do 10 hrs of video playback.
    I think the 10 hours are more for reading than video.
  • I wonder what Amazon will do with the price of the Kindle DX. It looks pretty expensive as of yesterday.
  • I think the 10 hours are more for reading than video.
    Steve Jobs said video for 10 hrs, it must be true!
  • So I've been rethinking the SUV-scooter analogy. The problem is that the iPad is not a sport-bike. It's just a bigger scooter. I suppose it's worth something to have a bigger, more comfortable seat. But that's really all you are getting. Under the hood, it's got the same exact engine and performance as the scooter.
  • Don't think about the analogy too hard, it isn't perfect. My apple owning friend was picking it apart a lot yesterday and trying to disprove it by forcing the kindle/nook into it.
  • I'm warming to the device at the $500 price point. The problem with Apple is that it's hard for them to live up to the hype.
  • Scene:
    Emily the Artist stands wistfully on the balcony, looking out at the gadget-happy people celebrating the release of a giant iphone.

Emi the Artist:(sorrowfully) Someday, my tablet-prince will come.

No, but seriously, when am I going to get a tablet for my needs? Wacom, I'm looking at you. Go get a partner who makes computers!
  • Name one Apple product ever since the Apple ][gs that doesn't have some severe limitations.
    My laptop does everything I need it to besides playing games (I'm slowly working on that issue), and I have consoles to play most of the games I want to play anyway.
  • Emily has a point, this thing effectively gives artists the finger. That's a large part of their core clients.
  • edited January 2010
    Tee hee.

Post edited by George Patches on
  • No, but seriously, when am I going to get a tablet for my needs? Wacom, I'm looking at you. Go get a partner who makes computers!
    I don't know if that's coming any time soon. Look at what a beast even the small Cintiq is, and imagine how much more of a beast it would be if you stuck a computer you'd actually want to use for graphics inside it. It just isn't anywhere near practical. Also, I don't know about you, but I'd feel completely lost without my right hand on a keyboard.
    Emily has a point, this thing effectively gives artists the finger. That's a large part of their core clients.
    No, it really doesn't. Expecting something like this that's any more than a toy for artists is a pipe dream at this point. The technology doesn't exist.

There actually is at least one iPhone "digital painting" app -- here's a link to something a pro artist did with it. But if you compare that with the rest of his stuff, you can see that it's a long way off before it's really useful.
  • I don't know if that's coming any time soon. Look at what a beast even the small Cintiq is, and imagine how much more of a beast it would be if you stuck a computer you'd actually want to use for graphics inside it. It just isn't anywhere near practical. Also, I don't know about you, but I'd feel completely lost without my right hand on a keyboard.
    What you need is Wacom + Adobe + Linux, and make a standalone tablet that boots directly to Photoshop, small hard drive for software and scratch disk, with a shitload of ram and a good GPU. I don't think its impossible tech wise, it's impossible for the three to get together and build the thing.
  • The Lenovo U1 is an interesting alternative, although there is still a lot that remains unknown.
  • What you need is Wacom + Adobe + Linux, and make a standalone tablet that boots directly to Photoshop, small hard drive for software and scratch disk, with a shitload of ram and a good GPU. I don't think its impossible tech wise, it's impossible for the three to get together and build the thing.
    I guess that would be more doable with current technology than a full computer. Though Photoshop doesn't run on Linux, and you'd probably want more programs besides Photoshop. I hardly ever use Photoshop at all these days, myself.