This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Improving Yourself

edited January 2010 in Everything Else
So every few years or so I decide to improve upon something about myself. I did it in the past successfully and now I'm just building up some traits. Have you ever tried to do this? What did you work on and how did you do it?

As silly as it might sound, in this recent improvement kick, I made a list. (I like lists. They're fun! ^^) It's not that long, but to sum it up it's about taking chances, being confident, more social and not being a dick. I smile a lot and walk less slouchy and keep thinking that I'm awesome. People tell me that, but I usually don't believe it since I'm insecure and had issues with that forever. Because of that issue there's things I backed out on, people I didn't hang with, or things I didn't say because of fear. Fear of what others will perceive me to be. (Hell, man, I was a bit scared to make a thread on this topic.) Recently, I've grabbed that issue and punched it in the face. I feel like I found that person I wanted to be and assimilated them! (ASSIMILATE!)

Other things are more minor like being neater and learning new words to rely on cursing less. ( Although I love to say fuck. Say it with me. FUUUUUCK!) Or my style and gaming more than I do now. I did finish the major thing which was attending school again and saying my opinion more.

So answer my questions! Yay yay!

Comments

• I'm pretty much always trying to improve myself in some way. In fact, so much so that I worry that it might be a problem. I rarely do anything without some vague notion that it's going to be useful to me in the future, like I'm going to play this video game, but I'm going to be mentally cataloging the art styles and design choices for future reference, or I'm going to watch this movie, but I'm paying attention to the staging or the shot juxtaposition. I almost feel guilty if I'm doing something purely for enjoyment. I think that's a bad thing.

Anyway. In the past, I've had to work on my social skills -- a couple years of home school in middle school pretty much demolished them, and I was just painfully shy. It took years before I felt like I could interact normally with people I didn't know. I was also always overweight as a kid, so I learned as much as I could about health and fitness, and made a lot of changes to my diet and started exercising, and got in pretty good shape for the first time in my life -- then I decided to put my newfound fitness to use in martial arts, and that did a lot for my confidence as well.

More recently, I've started making a real effort to be a more loving, less judgmental, cynical person. I started to see some friends go down a very negative path that seems to be focused on tearing others down instead of building themselves up, and they seemed to sink deeper and deeper into this pit of negativity and anger, with nothing to show for it. That's actually what got me to start taking drawing seriously again, and that's worked out pretty well so far.

Most recently, I've started to investigate meditation. There seems to be a lot of bullshit to sift through, but I suspect that there's some useful stuff at the core of it. The idea of strengthening my mental focus is really appealing to me.

The one thing I still really need to work on is my priorities -- spending more time doing the things I need to be doing, like work, exercise, and reading, and less time dicking around online. Really, I should be drawing right now instead of typing this. :)
  • learning new words to rely on cursing less
    Aaaaaaah, cursing, the dumb man's vocabulary. I'm glad I have the revised simpleton edition. You're not going to sell yours, right?
    Have you ever tried to do this? What did you work on and how did you do it?
    Yes, I forgot. I think it had something to do with making to do lists to remember what I have to do. I hate lists though.
  • learning new words to rely on cursing less
    Aaaaaaah, cursing, the dumb man's vocabulary. I'm glad I have the revised simpleton edition. You're not going to sell yours, right?
    ...What? (Note to self: Improve on understanding Nine's joke.)
  • I've done this a few times before. I've actually had great success. The person I was 2-3 years ago and the person I am now are pretty different, at least in a few areas. I've worked hard on trying not to be being socially crippled by shyness or other stupid things like that, walking and standing straight (not with perfect success), and being more physically active and aware of my health. Lots of self-improvement comes with that alone.

I just realized how pathetic this is sorta making me sound... or how pathetic it's making me from a while ago sound? FUUUUUUCK.
  • I've done this a few times before. I've actually had great success. The person I was 2-3 years ago and the person I am now are pretty different, at least in a few areas. I've worked hard on trying not to be being socially crippled by shyness or other stupid things like that, walking and standing straight (not with perfect success), and being more physically active and aware of my health. Lots of self-improvement comes with that alone.

I just realized how pathetic this is sorta making me sound... or how pathetic it's making me from a while ago sound? FUUUUUUCK.
    I don't think so. You're admirable! *shojo eyes*
  • Right now I am trying to improve my clarinet skills, reading, and writing skills :P
  • Right now I am trying to improve my clarinet skills
    The best way to improve your clarinet skills is to stop playing the clarinet and learn a real instrument.

Sorry, that was my clarinet hate leaking out.

• Mostrecently, I've started to investigate meditation. There seems to be a lot of bullshit to sift through, but I suspect that there's some useful stuff at the core of it.
    I don't know much about mediation, and I'm not sure of the bullshit of which you speak (there's probably a lot), but I believe that it's good for getting calmer, if anything.
    Before I teach a Tae Kwan Do class, we meditate and I believe it helps. (I'm pretty sure it's not mystical, I think it gets blood flowing.)
  • Before I teach a Tae Kwan Do class, we meditate and I believe it helps.
    What exactly do you do when you meditate?
  • There's so much I could write here, but I'm going to keep as relevant as I can. When I was a kid, I tended to learn things the hard way instead of observing what other kids did. I went through a lot of phases, each of which was eventually crushed by adult figures as being "bad". Not that there were a lot of variations, most of them were rebel-esque things, just in different venues. After a while, I started becoming awkward about doing anything because I wasn't sure if it would be acceptable or not. So by the time I got to later grade school I was really shy, blah blah blah, mostly just focused on academics, which I excelled at. This transferred into high school, where I was able to crack open the shell a little bit, but not enough to say that I had a lot of fun then. I ended up with a few really good friends that I could do anything with, but school itself was still tough. I focused on academics again.

College started to see more cracks in the shell, but still nothing significant. I got to the point where I could at least talk to somebody and not try to avoid conversation, but still never tried to seek it out. None of these were really improvements since I wasn't active doing anything, in my mind I was more just learning to endure at a slow rate. Then, during summer at the halfway point of college, I met a guy through my summer job who pretty much changed my life the most so far. He took a look at that shell and hit with a sledgehammer. Now there was a big gaping hole through which light could filter in. That whole summer was amazing and changed my perspective a lot. When I went back to school, things didn't change dramatically, but I was definitely trying more. Just as an example, I was president of the Japanese Club at my college that year, and our adviser told me later that under me, the club did more that year than the rest of its existence combined. That was pretty awesome. Yet, I still wasn't doing that to improve myself, at least consciously (I actually did it mostly for my resume).

It wasn't until that next summer when I took summer classes that I had the epiphany I needed. And it was something so simple and basic. After my first session classes were done, a bunch of my classmates invited me to a BBQ to celebrate our becoming seniors. It was that event that brought me to a significant conclusion: I was doing this all wrong. For the first time in my life, I felt like I actually had something to contribute to the world around me. And it was in realizing that that I stopped worrying about what I did.

So that was the first real improvement phase I went through. For that whole senior year, I was focused on one thing: to improve my social life. That is rather broad, but that's really all it was. I didn't have any specific goals, the whole thing was an experiment to me. I tried as many different things as I could to see what worked and what didn't work. In that year alone, I probably increased the number of friends I had threefold. Granted most of those people I don't really talk to at this point, but I feel that's more their problem than mine. Still, when I came back after that year, most of my friends who hadn't seen me since the previous summer couldn't believe I was the same person. (There was one other significant contributor to my success, something that my friend led me to, which can be found here. Don't let the theme deceive you, the main goal of that podcast is to improve people, and I can certify that it does.)

So I continue to work on that as time goes on. I don't do it (that is, go out) as much as I wish since I work a lot. My new goals for improvement, which I enacted this year, are to get back into working out regularly, and to use my time better. The working out I started when I got out of college, and I did really well at it, but a few months in I severely injured my arm, so I ended up dropping it for a year until I restarted this month. And I also think I am using my time better, I try to avoid the internet when I'm at home and just focus on doing something productive. I'm also trying to get better about doing necessary things without procrastinating, mainly chores.

I also have all this on a list, which I check regularly and update it as things come along :)
  • Before I teach a Tae Kwan Do class, we meditate and I believe it helps.
    What exactly do you do when you meditate?
    AHA! I was hoping you would ask this! xD
    What you do to meditate:
    First you sit down on the floor, legs crossed (you know, like in kindergarten).
    Then you put your hands on your knees and close your eyes.
    While sitting there with your hands on your knees and your eyes closed, you slowly breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, trying to clear your mind of all thoughts.
    You can do this for as long as you want, at least until your calm.
    :]
  • Right now I am trying to improve my clarinet skills
    The best way to improve your clarinet skills is to stop playing the clarinet and learn a real instrument.

Sorry, that was my clarinet hate leaking out.
    Why so much hate :P
  • edited January 2010
    Since sometime last year in High School, I made a pact to be less socially stupid. I decided to stop treating the world like it was going to automatically hate me, and I don't pre-judge people as much anymore. I talk to people on their level for a little bit, if solely to keep myself out of conflict. I don't boast about my intellect, but I try not to be completely reserved when I have a chance to be proud of myself. I try to be a more normal-seeming kid, even though it is quickly apparent that I'm not "normal" to a lot of people. By acting differently, I have reduced the amount of people who mistreat me at my school down to only grade-A douchebags, and they're jerks to everyone, so I just have to learn to deal with them better.

I'm also hoping that this will be the year when I stop questioning a lot of my past choices given that one of my biggest dreams (getting accepted into RIT's Game Design program) worked out. This means that regardless of any different choices I could've made, it all worked out with the outcome I wanted. Therefore, I can hopefully stop beating myself up over past mistakes. It almost validates my life, in a way. So far, I've been doing better, but I still look back too often.

And of course, like every year, I want to try and find ways to build self-confidence. Last year was not a good year for that, but this year is looking much more likely to be the year where I start to like myself a lot more.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • While sitting there with your hands on your knees and your eyes closed, you slowly breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, trying to clear your mind of all thoughts.
    See, that's the part that trips me up. :)

I've been listening to some stuff by Jack Kornfield, and doing some of the "guided" meditation. (I use quotes, because it's not like the visualization stuff that most guided meditation seems to be -- it's mostly silence, with him dropping tips and reminders once in a while.) He said one thing that helped me to get it a bit more than I have before, which is that rather than just trying to clear your mind of all thoughts, you try to focus on experiencing each breath. When you're focusing on experiencing each breath, you can't really think about anything else. Anyway -- it's still incredibly difficult for me to focus on my breath without my brain interrupting for more than 10 seconds or so, but I'm trying.
  • Why so much hate :P
    A very long time ago, when I was in high school, I was in both our concert and jazz bands, as an alto sax. The clarinets sat directly in front of me. They were all terrible. All of them. The worst sound in all of existence is a squeaking clarinet reed.
  • The worst sound in all of existence is a squeaking clarinet reed.
    I like clarinets, but he does speak the truth.
  • A very long time ago, when I was in high school, I was in both our concert and jazz bands, as an alto sax. The clarinets sat directly in front of me. They were all terrible. All of them. The worst sound in all of existence is a squeaking clarinet reed.
    The clarinet is awesome. I played it for 5 years and was one of the best players in my school. You were just unfortunate to have unskilled players to listen to. But yes, the squeaking of the reed was like listening to a prepubescent goose.
  • Why so much hate :P
    A very long time ago, when I was in high school, I was in both our concert and jazz bands, as an alto sax. The clarinets sat directly in front of me. They were all terrible. All of them. The worst sound in all of existence is a squeaking clarinet reed.
    I see that and raise you a squeaking oboe reed.
  • it's mostly silence
    Huh. I was expecting Brian Eno-style ambient pieces.
  • I see that and raise you a squeaking oboe reed.
    Ooh. We only had one oboe, and he was good. I've never experienced that.

Our clarinets had about a 25% squeak rate. It was awful. I wanted to kick them all in the head every single time.
  • edited January 2010
    Huh. I was expecting Brian Eno-style ambient pieces.
    That's the kind of bullshit I'm trying to avoid. :)

To clarify, though, the stuff I'm talking about is the guy giving a lecture to a class about meditation and, I guess, Buddhist philosophy, interspersed with meditation segments here and there.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I made a pact to be less socially stupid. I decided to stop treating the world like it was going to automatically hate me
    I need to work on this, not to long ago I kind of felt socially stupid on the discussion of Metal on this very forum and I kind of keep feeling this when posting on some discussions here. Definitely going to try to improve on that!
    While sitting there with your hands on your knees and your eyes closed, you slowly breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth,trying to clear your mind of all thoughts.
    See, that's the part that trips me up. :)

I've been listening to some stuff byJack Kornfield, and doing some of the "guided" meditation. (I use quotes, because it's not like the visualization stuff that most guided meditation seems to be -- it's mostly silence, with him dropping tips and reminders once in a while.) He said one thing that helped me to get it a bit more than I have before, which is that rather than just trying to clear your mind of all thoughts, you try to focus on experiencing each breath. When you're focusing on experiencing each breath, you can't really think about anything else. Anyway -- it's still incredibly difficult for me to focus on my breath without my brain interrupting for more than 10 seconds or so, but I'm trying.
    I'm not sure if I've ever heard of this Jack Kornfield fellow, but he seems to be very knowledgeable on the subject and I think I'll check out some of his stuff (definitely want to check out his book After the Ecstasy the Laundry). If he's helping at all it might be a good idea to keep listening to his lectures, but have you tried meditating without any type of aid? But just keep trying and, eventually, you shall achieve, meditation might not be for everyone but if you get it down it can help greatly.
  • I'm not sure if I've ever heard of this Jack Kornfield fellow, but he seems to be very knowledgeable on the subject and I think I'll check out some of his stuff (definitely want to check out his bookAfter the Ecstasy the Laundry). If he's helping at all it might be a good idea to keep listening to his lectures, but have you tried meditating without any type of aid? But just keep trying and, eventually, you shall achieve, meditation might not be for everyone but if you get it down it can help greatly.
    I found a big torrent of a bunch of his audio stuff on the Pirate Bay (which I guess is no good for my karma :P). I have tried meditating without any aid, but I feel like I've had more success while listening to Kornfield. My mind wanders off a lot, and he helps to bring it back. Obviously, I intend to do it on my own once I get more of a feel for it. Also, I need to just make more time to actually do it.
  • I've started working out again, so I'm going to slim down and get some muscles.
  • I'm not sure if I've ever heard of this Jack Kornfield fellow, but he seems to be very knowledgeable on the subject and I think I'll check out some of his stuff (definitely want to check out his bookAfter the Ecstasy the Laundry). If he's helping at all it might be a good idea to keep listening to his lectures, but have you tried meditating without any type of aid? But just keep trying and, eventually, you shall achieve, meditation might not be for everyone but if you get it down it can help greatly.
    I found a big torrent of a bunch of his audio stuff on the Pirate Bay (which I guess is no good for my karma :P). I have tried meditating without any aid, but I feel like I've had more success while listening to Kornfield. My mind wanders off a lot, and he helps to bring it back. Obviously, I intend to do it on my own once I get more of a feel for it. Also, I need to just make more time to actually do it.
    Whatever floats your boat, man!
    Do what will help and as long as you keep at it you'll get it eventually (but if it gives you bad Karma maybe you could go save a kitten or something xP).
  • The biggest improvement I ever enacted upon myself was when I finally made the descisions to stop being a fanboy and to stop being so goddamn shy. I was missing out on a lot of opportunities to interact with others, and when I did, I felt the need to command the conversation. As soon as I got over those things, my life improved drastically.