This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So, JD Salinger is dead...

edited January 2010 in News
I don't really have much to say. It's to be expected, but it's still a bit of a shock. I thought he'd outlive me (he would be crotchety enough to)!

Requiescat in pace.

P.S. Looks like he was also into crazy homeopathy and stuff. Not surprising, really.

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    I wanna go on record by saying I hate Catcher in the Rye with a burning, intense passion the same way Rym hates Great Expectations. Yet...I'm still sad he died because he made an impact on literature which was very important. On the other hand...A CATCHER IN THE RYE MOVIE CAN FINALLY BE MADE!!!! After all these years with Salinger's ridiculous (imo) yet somewhat justified hatred of movies (because he was snakebitten when a terrible film adaptation of one of his stories was made) that movie can be made. I can safely predict that there will be a scramble in Hollywood over who gets to direct it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I wanna go on record by saying I hateCatcher in the Ryewith an intense passion
  • I guess I can go on record saying that I was pretty indifferent to Catcher in the Rye, and didn't see what the big deal was. But I can't really claim to know literature.
  • JD Salinger stopped living a loooong time ago.
  • Jesus, he was 91. It's really not that much of a news story when a 91-year-old who hadn't done anything publicly in decades dies, is it?

In other news, Howard Zinn is dead. 87, so that's no surprise. But I enjoyed his books more than Salinger's. :)
  • I guess I can go on record saying that I was pretty indifferent to Catcher in the Rye, and didn't see what the big deal was. But I can't really claim to know literature.
    I think Salinger's book was the first notable example of a lying narrator which is an important literary device.
  • Let me "go on the record" by saying that I find it annoying that people want a Catcher In The Rye movie.
  • Let me "go on the record" by saying that I find it annoying that people want a Catcher In The Rye movie.
    Why do you say that? Is it because of the indifference you have toward it?
  • edited January 2010
    I guess I can go on record saying that I was pretty indifferent to Catcher in the Rye, and didn't see what the big deal was. But I can't really claim to know literature.
    I think Salinger's book was the first notable example of a lying narrator which is an important literary device.
    True. Too bad that also made the kid a completely unlikeable character. I also hate that book.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • edited January 2010
    Let me "go on the record" by saying that I find it annoying that people want a Catcher In The Rye movie.
    No, I like the book. Why must every piece of notable literature be commercialized with an adaptation? Further more, why would anyone want that with such voracity?
    Post edited by Sail on
    No, I like the book. Why must every piece of notable literature be commercialized with an adaptation? Further more, why would anyonewantthat?
    Simple. A movie based on a piece of notable literature has more chance of being a good movie.

Haven't we been over this before in the forum? If someone makes a bad movie based on something you like, you don't have to see it, and it in no way diminishes the original work.
  • edited January 2010
    Relevant.

And Cheese, I didn't say that it diminishes the original work. I said it was annoying and that the people who crave such a thing are annoying.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I think Salinger's book was the first notable example of a lying narrator which is an important literary device.
    Edgar Allen Poe came first, with the extremely unreliable narrator in the Fall of the House of Usher. Also, Canterbury Tales.
  • Relevant.
    Shit. Beat me by 2 hours.
  • Relevant.

And Cheese, I didn't say that it diminishes the original work. I said it wasannoyingand that the people who crave such a thing are annoying.
    Why get annoyed over something that doesn't matter to you?
  • I thought what I would do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
  • Holden Caufield was tremendously unlikeable.

The Glass family, though...Wow.
  • How could they make a Catcher movie now? Ethan Hawke is too old.

I think the only thing that could make such a movie commercially viable is a car chase. Or, maybe Holden is targeted by a Terminator from the future. "I hate those Terminators. They're such phonies."
  • The most disturbing thing I've learned in this thread is that Rym dislikes Great Expectations. Now I am sad.
  • The most disturbing thing I've learned in this thread is that Rym dislikesGreat Expectations. Now I am sad.
    Maybe I'll give it another go.

To be fair, when I hated it, I was in ninth grade. Perhaps I did not appreciate what it had to offer.
  • Rym's not very big on the Dickens? That's surprising.
  • Rym's not very big on the Dickens? That's surprising.
    Oh, I assure you that it's quite large.

It is often, however, surprising.
  • I thought The Catcher In The Rye was pretty painful to read, but the impression the book left still felt and feels important.
  • To be fair, when I hated it, I was in ninth grade. Perhaps I did not appreciate what it had to offer.
    I hate what high school does to our opinions of the classics.
    I thought The Catcher In The Rye was pretty painful to read, but the impression the book left still felt and feels important.
    That disaffected youths are often the product of their own massive egos?
  • It think a German newspaper article put it best:

"There are books, which are pure present time, not insight, but expression."