This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Black and White

Comments

• Oh sorry. It's been a long time since I played Pokemon. You put them to sleep with Hypnosis. Then you use Nightmare/Dream Eater.

Also, house rules like "you can only sleep one of my Pokemon at a time" is completely bullshit. If it's in the game, it's in the game. If you can't deal with it, you lose. Tough shit. I'm not going to play Street Fighter and ask the other guy not to shoot hadoukens so fast. I would be laughed and hadoukened to death.
  • Don't worry about the hypnosis mistake. I could've just assumed hypnosis was the third move, but I felt it was more fun to not do that and take the post at face value. The problem with hypnosis is is that's its accuracy is a crappy 60%.
    Also, house rules like "you can only sleep one of my Pokemon at a time" is completely bullshit.
    Yes, it's complete bullshit. It's the metagame, what do you expect? It's on the same level as "NO ITEMS, FOX ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION!"
    Sleep shuffling with Butterfree is pretty fun if you ask me.
  • It's on the same level as "NO ITEMS, FOX ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION!"
    No, it's not. No items, Fox only, Final Destination is enforced in-game by selecting those options. It's intrinsic to the rules of the game.

The proper analogy would be "NO ITEMS, FOX ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION, NO SMASHING."
  • The proper analogy would be "NO ITEMS, FOX ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION, NO SMASHING."
    No snaking.
    Sleep shuffling with Butterfree is pretty fun if you ask me.
    I like Butterfree, maybe I'll go for that. Three Pokemon to put them to sleep and then three simple yet powerful Pokemon for killing.
  • Tsuntsun, your problem is that you care about winning in the stupid metagame. Especially the OU metagame. UU/NU > *, and even those are shit. Just find likeminded people and play with them. IVs are just 30 points, and while sometimes that just makes the difference between being KOd or not, who cares.
    Back when I was still playing the metagame like crazy, I didn't have likeminded people to play against. Everyone I knew with a pokeymanz game never raised anything beyond their in-game team and went down super easy.

So how about you, would you ever wanna battle? :P
    edited February 2010
    No, it's not. No items, Fox only, Final Destination is enforced in-game by selecting those options.
    The game does not force me to select Fox. Sure, it's enforced once chosen, but I meant the cry (hence why I used quotes) of those rules, which is just as stupid as "SLEEP CLAUSE, SPECIES CLAUSE, NO UBERS".
    So how about you, would you ever wanna battle? :P
    I don't have a DS, the game or a team. Even if I did have all that, it'd be a shitty team with obvious, easily exploited weaknesses (stealth rock) because I prefer playing with favourites instead of good (and ugly) ones. Screw those new uber things, and Arcanine.
    I like Butterfree, maybe I'll go for that.
    97.5% chance to put the opponent to sleep vs. 60% chance of doing so. Your choice. Spore is 100%.
    Post edited by ... on
  • So how about you, would you ever wanna battle? :P
    I do! I want to battle!
  • edited February 2010
    My DS team has some issues, but I will play anyone that wants to.

Scott's strategy is countered by Honchkrow, the move taunt, anything using a fire or toxic orb, the move sleep talk, the move substitute, the ability Natural Cure, and anything with a choice scarf.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • I'd be up for battling whenever, also.
  • edited February 2010
    I don't have a DS, the game or a team.
    You disappoint me!
    Screw those new uber things, and Arcanine.
    I
    I do! I want to battle!
    5371-2039-6371 is my FC, though you'd best ding me on AIM to make sure I'm around. (AIM: loltsundere)
    Post edited by loltsundere on
    edited February 2010
    Honchkrow+other counters
    Anything with insomnia/vital spirit. Early Bird also fucks with it. Status berries fix it. Types immune to ghost/psychic iirc. Natural Cure only works on switching out. So it's not much of a solution since nightmare also ends upon switching out, no?
    You disappoint me!
    Why? I've said before that I don't have a DS.
    I <3 my arcanine, but I don't wanna go and screw him. :\</p>
    You don't have a penis to screw him, so don't worry.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Scott's strategy is countered by Honchkrow, the move taunt, anything using a fire or toxic orb, the move sleep talk, the move substitute, the ability Natural Cure, and anything with a choice scarf.
    Yes, but remember this most important thing. If everyone has truly equally powered Pokemon, then the game really just boils down to a complicated rock paper scissors. Saying that those moves beat my sleep attack is like saying paper beats rock. How many people are going to come with the right abilities to stop me?

Better yet, if I bring three sleepers and three powerful pokemon, they have to have three anti-sleepers, or else they lose. If they don't know beforehand that I have three sleep attacking Pokemon, I'm probably going to win because it only takes one sleep to sleep their entire team. I can also bring out any of my three power Pokemon to give a pretty good chance of KOing the one that has the anti-sleep attack.
    edited February 2010
    How many people are going to come with the right abilities to stop me?
    Most. Tuant is most likely to be somewhere on the team just to prevent set up of hazards, stat boosts and status moves. Substitute is often used to create a safety to set up hazards, stat boosts and protect from status moves. Sleep Talk is used on status absorbers (anti-sleepers as you call them) to attack when asleep. Orbs are used to either activate abilities (Ursaring with Guts for example) and/or prevent status like sleep.
    Better yet, if I bring three sleepers and three powerful pokemon, they have to have three anti-sleepers, or else they lose.
    That logic doesn't work with pokemon. You'll just lose with that.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Why? I've said before that I don't have a DS.
    I didn't get the memo, and you talk like you've got one.
    You don't have a penis to screw him, so don't worry.
    Good to know! Your username indicates that you're a trustworthy source.
    If they don't know beforehand that I have three sleep attacking Pokemon, I'm probably going to win because it only takes one sleep to sleep their entire team.
    A lot of players will recognize a sleep-inducing pokemon and anticipate a sleep move, and they'll either switch in to a counter or taunt you.

Putting the opponent to sleep isn't completely useless (it does wonders for Breloom), but it isn't something you should completely rely on either.
  • Good to know! Your username indicates that you're a trustworthy source.
    Heh. Yes, Nine is a fan of the cock. He owns them.
  • A lot of players will recognize a sleep-inducing pokemon and anticipate a sleep move, and they'll either switch in to a counter or taunt you.
    I should search the bulbapedia for a very fast pokemon that can learn sleep moves via a TM that normally would never have such a move. If it also happens to be a really powerful pokemon and has good regular attacks, that could be a winner.

Spiritomb is way cooler, though.
  • Spiritomb's pathetic speed makes it a bad option for what you want to do. Spiritomb is better utilized by taking advantage of its higher defenses and ability to screw with the opponent. Spiritomb's type combo also makes it so that nothing can possibly land a super-effective hit on it, which is something its fans like. Moves like Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch will go first - but Shadow Sneak is really to pick off your opponent when he's weak and Sucker Punch will only hit if your opponent was about to use an offensive move.

Spiritomb can burn, taunt, or pain split the opponent to further piss them off. Burning most pokemon means their attack will be reduced. A well-timed pain split can suck your opponent's HP and heal you simultaneously. Taunt will make it so that your opponent's pokemon cannot fuck with you and can only attack. There are lots of annoying things you could do with Spiritomb despite its crappy speed.
    edited February 2010
    and you talk like you've got one.
    Is that a compliment? I'm not sure.
    Good to know! Your username indicates that you're a trustworthy source.
    Of this I am. Thanks. :D
    Spiritomb is way cooler, though.
    Spiritomb is a fucking keystone, he has the stats of a wall, see what they did there? Use it to stall and annoy. Also trick room team.

Also, this...
    I should search the bulbapedia for a very fast pokemon that can learn sleep moves via a TM that normally would never have such a move. If it also happens to be a really powerful pokemon and has good regular attacks, that could be a winner.
    Ain't gonna succeed. Said pokemon would be in the Ubers tier with Wobuffet.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited February 2010
    Also, house rules like "you can only sleep one of my Pokemon at a time" is completely bullshit.
    Pokemon Battle Revolution has settings to employ the Species Clause/Freeze Clause/Item Clause/Sleep Clause, etc. They've become officially sanctioned rules that are sometimes even employed by Nintendo in major tournaments.

Plus, Pokemon is PERFECTLY tuned for house rules. You can agree to play with only Level 1 Babies, or a certain type, or a certain number of Pokemon. There are Forum-hosted tournaments that are theme based all the time, based on various house rules.

Also, Crobat is a super fast Pokemon that can learn Hypnosis, but it's more of a Hit-and-Run pokemon.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • I remember doing a tournament on a forum a while back where everyone had to breed some level 1 babies, and then fight with them as-is. My team didn't do that well, but it was pretty cool.
  • Good to know! Your username indicates that you're a trustworthy source.
    10/10 A+++ Would Buy Again.
  • Six sleep pokemon, can't lose.
  • edited February 2010
    I still stand by Geodude Platoon with self-destruct.

Also, this reminds me of an interesting glitch in the Pokemon CCG, back when it first came out. The first gen Ghastly (or some other Ghost/Psychic type) card had this ability where, for a psychic energy, you could enable an effect that, when used, immediately KO'd an enemy if Ghastly got KO'd next turn. Most little kids didn't think in terms of game theory; I didn't know it was called that, but I totally did. Since the card was common and not that powerful (40HP), I'd trade for big stacks of cards, and play the trade game such that I got a Ghastly every chance I got. The result was that my "psychic deck" was really just a stacked deck filled mainly with deck assists, psychic energies, and Ghastlies. It was basically unstoppable, opponents never knew what hit 'em.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I have never played any Pokemon games, I have never seen the TV show, and know next to nothing about it. In light of this fact, this thread sounds like baby-talk to me.
  • I have never played any Pokemon games, I have never seen the TV show, and know next to nothing about it. In light of this fact, this thread sounds like baby-talk to me.
    Some needs to show this woman their pokemans.
  • I understand what they are saying, but I do not fully comprehend all the terms/names. I am out of the Poke-know. Makes me realize how much I will have to learn.
  • The first gen Ghastly (or some other Ghost/Psychic type) card had this ability where, for a psychic energy, you could enable an effect that, when used, immediately KO'd an enemy if Ghastly got KO'd next turn.
    That move is Destiny Bond. Gengar really likes having it for wifi battles.
  • I understand what they are saying, but I do not fully comprehend all the terms/names. I am out of the Poke-know. Makes me realize how much I will have to learn.
    I feel the most sad, because I know what they're talking about, generally understand it, and haven't even played the latest Pokemon generation...It's been a good many years since I have, as well.
  • edited February 2010
    Post edited by Churba on