This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Black and White

Comments

• The new Pokemon Zoroark is on Serebii. I think it looks alright.
  • edited February 2010
    The new Pokemon Zoroark is onSerebii. I think it looks alright.
    I like that it's a fox, but I like it's pre-evolved form more. It's nice to see some more dark-types, and depending on when in the next game you can get one, I might use it.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • The new Pokemon Zoroark is onSerebii.
    Shit.
  • So it's the Houndour to Vulpix's Growlithe? Neat.
  • So it's the Houndour to Vulpix's Growlithe? Neat.
    No. It's to Lucario as horseshit is to bullcrap.
  • Don't know if anyone else noticed, but the number of legenardies in each new generation has been steadily increasing. 5 is Red/Blue, 6 in Gold/Silver, 10 in Ruby/Sapphire, and 14 in Diamond/Pearl.

Who wants to bet there will be 15+ legendaries?
  • edited February 2010
    So it's the Houndour to Vulpix's Growlithe? Neat.
    No. It's to Lucario as horseshit is to bullcrap.
    Which must mean it's awesome.

Sorry, I love canid pokemon. Granted, I saw this and went OH BOY A WOL-- FOX. FUCK YOU GUYS. Oh well, I can keep pretending like I did with Mightyena. :P

Edit: Zoroark's gonna star in the next movie, so this probably means he will die. Just a guess.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • Which must mean it's awesome.
    Actually, no. It'll just excite the furries more, and the crappy design isn't helping either.
  • Which must mean it's awesome.
    Actually, no. It'll just excite the furries more, and the crappy design isn't helping either.
    Try not to let the furries ruin things for you. I would have to sacrifice at least 90% of my childhood if I did.
  • I like that the red on his hair(mane?) looks like ink that would be used for calligraphy.
  • Who wants to bet there will be 15+ legendaries?
    I really hope not. So many of the legendaries in Sinnoh felt extraneous, as though they were just added so that there'd be more endgame content. For Gen 5 I'd like it if they have a trio, two strong things of opposing forces for the version mascots (and then a third, more powerful thing to serve as the version mascot of the third game), and then the secret Event stuff.
  • edited February 2010
    What is this anthropokemon BS? Where's my new Magneton?

Also, my bet is on the player receiving a pokedex in the next version, with two sections: One for legendaries, and one for everything else. I'm guessing 75 legendaries, minimum.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Haha, Magnezone's my favorite Pokemon, period. He's probably not going to get an evolution, unfortunately!
  • I really hope not. So many of the legendaries in Sinnoh felt extraneous, as though they were just added so that there'd be more endgame content.
    I don't really want to see a whole gaggle of new legendaries, it's just that there's a pattern that indicates there probably will be. I'd rather see more interesting non-legendaries, and maybe a pure-flying type just for shits and giggles.
  • edited February 2010
    I want to be able to give my pokemans different drugs as temporary buffs and heals (think Adrenaline in L4D). However, I want my pokemans to be able to develop an addiction to various items. So if I keep boosting my Hitmonchan's speed, he eventually needs a Carbos every couple hours of gameplay, or he gets poisoned/falls asleep/becomes paralyzed.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • So if I keep boosting my Hitmonchan's speed, he eventually needs a Carbos every couple hours of gameplay, or he gets poisoned.
    Pokecrack.
  • I want to be able to give my pokemans different drugs as temporary buffs and heals (think Adrenaline in L4D).
    Well they've had items like X Attack and X Speed since the first gen, but nobody uses those.
  • I want to be able to give my pokemans different drugs as temporary buffs and heals (think Adrenaline in L4D).
    Well they've had items like X Attack and X Speed since the first gen, but nobody uses those.
    You miss the important part. I want to trade my pokemans well-being for battle performance.
  • Try not to let the furries ruin things for you. I would have to sacrifice at least 90% of my childhood if I did.
    Nintendo is letting the furries ruin things by pandering to them and there's nothing I can do to stop them. See Lucario, Gardevoir, this new thing. Imho the average quality of designs has gone down constantly. This just proves it even more.
    X Attack and X Speed
    Ah fuck. It just dawned on me that the X in all those X [stat] items stands for the Roman numeral and not the letter. Brb, shitting bricks.
  • Nintendo is letting the furries ruin things by pandering to them and there's nothing I can do to stop them. See Lucario, Gardevoir, this new thing.
    How is this "ruining" anything? It's not like they're all having sex with eachother.

Well, you can breed them.

It's not like they're all having sex with eachother on-screen.
  • How is this "ruining" anything?
    It's ruining the ratio of awesome designs to non-awesome designs.
  • It's ruining the ratio of awesome designs to non-awesome designs.
    Lucario is awesome. How do you respond to this refutation?
  • Lucario is awesome. How do you respond to this refutation?
    He is the Jesus of pokemon and looks like ass.
  • I have to agree that the older Pokemon have far better designs than the newer ones. It's not just nostalgia or personal preference talking. If you look at my favorite Pokemons, they span the generations. The thing is the older Pokemon had far simpler and more iconic designs.

Slowly but surely the design of Pokemon is following the same trend as Final Fantasy characters. Because they can't think of new ways to differentiate, they just keep adding more complexity and clutter to the designs.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Though I don't necessarily like the character designs in the newer Final Fantasy...I'm pretty sure that graphical limitations were the biggest factor in how complex the character designs could be.

Also, whatever, man! Shinx is A-D'AWWW-RABLE!
  • Though I don't necessarily like the character designs in the newer Final Fantasy...I'm pretty sure that graphical limitations were the biggest factor in how complex the character designs could be.
    You have the causality backwards. They weren't trying to make character designs more complex, and just had to wait for the graphics to improve. It was more along the lines that they were trying to show off graphics, which were a selling point, and complex character designs were a good way to do so.

Simpler more iconic characters are the way to go. Think about the really great characters, they have a few distinguishing characteristics. Take Cloud for example. Spiky hair, blue/purplish clothes, big sword. With those three things you can draw a recognizable Cloud in any style from super chibi to uber ornate. The same goes for other great character designs like Mario characters, any Simpsons/Futurama characters, Spider-Man. Batman, TF2 classes, Gordon Freeman, Mega Man, I could go on. As you add more and more crud to the characters like pouches, straps, accessories, stars, whatever, they become far less iconic, recognizable and memorable.
  • edited February 2010
    Nintendo is letting the furries ruin things by pandering to them and there's nothing I can do to stop them. See Lucario, Gardevoir, this new thing. Imho the average quality of designs has gone down constantly. This just proves it even more.
    Awww, shit, you in trouble now!
    I have to agree that the older Pokemon have far better designs than the newer ones. It's not just nostalgia or personal preference talking. If you look at my favorite Pokemons, they span the generations. The thing is the older Pokemon had far simpler and more iconic designs.

Slowly but surely the design of Pokemon is following the same trend as Final Fantasy characters. Because they can't think of new ways to differentiate, they just keep adding more complexity and clutter to the designs.
    I would have thought you liked Shinx. He looks like Kimba. Also? I think that some FFXII characters are attractive, in the hot way, where FFI does not really do it for me. Gameplay of the two aside, you are sacrificing iconic-ness for realism. That's kind of like saying, yeah, a smiley face is recognizable, but I do not think of it with it in the same way as I do a more visually complex character. They are appealing in different ways. The faces of those sprites are not expressive, so I think a certain degree of acting-emotion/human connection is lost.
    Simpler more iconic characters are the way to go. Think about the really great characters, they have a few distinguishing characteristics. Take Cloud for example. Spiky hair, blue/purplish clothes, big sword. With those three things you can draw a recognizable Cloud in any style from super chibi to uber ornate. The same goes for other great character designs like Mario characters, any Simpsons/Futurama characters, Spider-Man. Batman, TF2 classes, Gordon Freeman, Mega Man, I could go on. As you add more and more crud to the characters like pouches, straps, accessories, stars, whatever, they become far less iconic, recognizable and memorable.
    But I do agree with this. One of the fundamental things you learn as an animator is the idea of a recognizable silhouette, and things like that. I was actually just reading a Valve Doc where they talked about how they designed the TF2 characters so they could be distinguished at a glance. Many of the characters that developed from 8 bit characters are iconic because they were limited by the forced design simplicity of the medium. (I would argue, however, that if you looked at Spiderman in silhouette, you might not be able to tell him from other spandex superheroes. He's basically just naked.) The Final Fantasy characters are starting to be approached less like cartoons and more like actors wearing costumes. Like I said, trade off, iconic nature for realism.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Ah, right. I see what you mean.

Still, I kinda like the designs of a lot of the Generation 4 Pokemon, though I agree that none of them are quite as iconic (Lucario being a possible exception).
  • I actually do like Shinx. I just wanted to use him as an example because he has all sorts of junk all over him like a star tail, multiple colors, weird eyes, star ears, bracelets, etc.