This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Northeast Conference on Science and Skepticism

Comments

• What city, Rotchester?
    silly Rochester isn't a city :-p
  • I'm sorry. I meant the City. 6_~
  • I'm still none the wiser to the geographic location of this "party."
  • I'm still none the wiser to the geographic location of this "party."
    There's no party; I'm just wondering who will be around in the City this weekend.
  • WHAT THE FUCK IS THE "City"?????? IS IT NYC???
  • edited April 2010
    WHAT THE FUCK IS THE "City"?????? IS IT NYC???
    That's a safe bet; the only other city Rym ever talks about is Rome.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • WHAT THE FUCK IS THE "City"?????? IS IT NYC???
    Yes. The only city worthy of being called The City is New York City. Even if we're in China, if someone says "the city," it's New York.
  • the only other city Rym ever talks about is Rome.
    You mean Constantinople.
  • the only other city Rym ever talks about is Rome.
    You mean Constantinople.
    But you can't go back to Constantinople.
  • I'm getting a bit sick of Constantinople.
  • I'm getting a bit sick of Constantinople.
    But just wait a week and it will be Istanbul!
  • But you can't go back to Constantinople.
    Yup. It's been a long time gone.
  • edited April 2010
    Posted By: Rym
    < and who's coming into the city to party with us? ;^)
    Well if other locations don't get voted on for away trips, I will be in the city on May 1st at the very least for parkour, and partying can very easily follow. Then depending on work I may be there for a few days more or not so much. I still owe you two breakfast after all.
    Post edited by Kerr_2.0 on
  • The only city worthy of being called The City is New York City. Even if we're in China, if someone says "the city," it's New York.
    Not quite. If you were in China and said "the city" it would make reference to NYC. If a domestic citizen said "the city" they would not be referring to NYC. You are completely leaving out the Power of Place.

While NYC is without question a top (if not the top) city for economic and political power in the world, it's a little biased to say that everyone views it that way--especially half way across the world.
  • While NYC is without question a top (if not the top) city for economic and political power in the world, it's a little biased to say that everyone views it that way--especially half way across the world.
    It's shit-talking, dude. We love to make fun of the fact that we are full of ourselves.
  • Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. I'm in Baltimore. I'm either getting back Saturday or Sunday.
  • Not quite. If you were in China and said "the city" it would make reference to NYC. If a domestic citizen said "the city" they would not be referring to NYC. You are completely leaving out the Power of Place.

While NYC is without question a top (if not the top) city for economic and political power in the world, it's a little biased to say that everyone views it that way--especially half way across the world.
    It doesn't matter if other people feel that way or not. I'm not even being sarcastic or joking or anything. New York is The City. All others are just a city, not the city.

If someone says they live in the city, it doesn't mean they live in Columbus, alright.
  • If someone says they live in the city, it doesn't mean they live in Columbus, alright.
    And I am sure if someone is in a job interview in Columbus, upon being asked where they live and replying "oh, I live in the city", the employer would immediately assume NYC over Columbus.
  • Okay, maybe I was wrong and Scott is just stupid.

It's not a matter of feeling, Scott. Anyone who lives in a suburb of a city generally refers to the city they live near as either "downtown" or "the city" when they are talking about location. When I lived in Charlotte, people asked me if I lived "in the city or the suburbs." They don't care about the relative size of other cities in the world. They only care about the context of their immediate discussion. You sound like a dumbass.
  • And I am sure if someone is in a job interview in Columbus, upon being asked where they live and replying "oh, I live in the city", the employer would immediately assume NYC over Columbus.
    They assume wrong. Also, who would want to work for a company so far away from the city?
  • edited April 2010
    Also, who would want to work for a company so far away from the city?
    Telecommute, son.

I am really surprised you are going to such extents to defend this, Scott. Yes, yes we all know "THE city" is NYC, but for fuck sakes, the average person talking about going "into the city" or "to the city" is not always going to be referencing New York.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • They assume wrong. Also, who would want to work for a company so far away from the city?
    *facepalm*
  • They assume wrong. Also, who would want to work for a company so far away from the city?
    *facepalm*
    I can see the grin on his little troll face, even from this far outside the city.
  • edited April 2010
    I can see the grin on his little troll face, even from this far outside the city.
    lol
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • edited April 2010
    Feeding trolls is a internet passtime.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I can see the grin on his little troll face, even from this far outside the city.
    lol
    Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week!
  • Feeding trolls is a internet passtime.
    Just don't feed them after midnight...
  • The MacRosses may be in NYC this weekend (likely Saturday only). Will anyone be around? We have no plan at this point and may opt out of the trip in order to see a show, but if people are around and available, that will likely swing the pendulum toward NYC.
  • Laura and I are planning to be in New York City this weekend. Either Friday night or Early Saturday.
  • The MacRosses may be in NYC this weekend (likely Saturday only). Will anyone be around? We have no plan at this point and may opt out of the trip in order to see a show, but if people are around and available, that will likely swing the pendulum toward NYC.
    Do you want to stay with us, or do you have arrangements?

I'm seriously up for planning karaoke or a day at the museum. What do you all think?