This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bonsai

edited February 2010 in Everything Else
Tomatos don't really work so well on a balcony. I am currently researching the possibility of doing some bonsai. I mean, how else can I be a proper yakuza if I don't have a tiny tree?

I have found out a few interesting things so far. For example, most bonsai grow outside. You only bring them inside very rarely, like once a year, for decoration. So if a yakuza has brought his bonsai inside, that's a fucking special day. Watch out, or your finger will fly!

Also, I was previously stupid and thought a bonsai was a particular set of tree species that grow small. In actuality, it's just normal trees, and you have to do all the work of making it stay small.

My next step is I think I will get some actual books about this. Also, I am going to probably try it in the spring with a whole bunch of plants. Since I am a nub, I fully expect most, if not all, of them to fail. But having more attempts means more learning sooner. If I just try one at a time, I will be an old geezer before I make any progress.

Comments

• I've always like the idea of having a bonsai tree. Since way back when I was a kid and saw the Karate Kid. Every once in awhile I've driven past roadside stands that sell bonsai trees. The trees were pretty pricey though.
  • I've got some books on it. What I learned:

1) It's probably not a good idea to start from seed for outdoor bonsais, at least not for nubs. It takes too long to grow, and you'll need to know how to properly trim a root ball. Go to your nursery, and find starters.
    2) You might want an indoor to stay in the game during cold and no-prune months. They're usually tropical hedges or trees shaped using the same technique.
    3) Tools are expensive.
    4) You're probably going to have to blend your own potting mix. Do research on what your tree needs and blend accordingly.
  • Believe it or not, there's actually already a thread for this.