This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Changing and Ending Friendships

edited February 2010 in Everything Else
Some events happened recently that made me have to deal with this. I honestly don't know how to deal with this. To tell the truth, this particular group of friends was my first group of friends.

Before I just had people who were either associates or I was a matter of convenience for them. I was a loner up until 12 grade of my third high school. Between then and that awesome summer I met people that became the prototype of what we later called the Unadults. (Something we called ourselves since we never wanted to grow up.)

We've been through a lot and were close friends, but now things are supposedly falling apart. One of them were talking to me about it. How we don't hang out as much and some just don't want to. I explained that with our lives now (schooling, working, parenting) that happens. Simply were grown, so we have to make time and keep in touch. However, the case is some just don't want to anymore. Plus, apparently there has been some drama. I wasn't really aware of it since I have a no drama with the Viga rule for myself. Long story short, one friend wants it to be just Her, X and me since the other 3 either never want to do anything or just doesn't care anymore. She even wants to call them out on this intervention style. Me? I just don't want to abandon anyone or lose friends.

I don't really know how to handle a situation like this. Until 7 or so years ago I didn't really know how to be a friend. So I ask because most of you have a group of friends or used to have a group of friends. In other words, those with more life experience I guess. Those who were never so socially inept like I was.

Comments

• I've had this issue before, I would avoid calling them out on it. Just simply stop inviting them to things. if they want to hang out, they'll get a hold of you (might take them a month to build up the courage.) The people I'm really tight with still get in touch with me on a regular basis, despite a large geographic distance. It's hard, but we make that effort.
  • I think the problem is, if you simply stop talking to them, they might think that you don't value them anymore or that you've forgotten them or that you don't need them. If you want to keep them close, then in my experience you should be open and honest with them. Every time I have issues with people, it always helps more than anything to just talk about the problem at hand and try to be sincere about how you feel. If someone really cares about you, they'll want the same thing.
    Granted, I don't have the life experiences many people on the forums do, and the friendships I can think of offhand that I've handled in such a way still have a their own issues. However, I've found that things work out better when my friends and I are sincere with each other.
    And that's not to say being honest can't also hurt. I've been in that place, too. It's sometimes a choice between the lesser of evils, and what's going to be best for YOU in the long run. If you think that if you don't call them or choose to hang around with them for awhile, they will definitely miss you, go for it. You risk losing their friendship altogether that way. If you want to keep them as friends, and you feel like it's an issue you really need to talk about, I would go with that option, even if being honest also means risking the friendship. At least then, you know that you've said what you're thinking and feeling and they know that you still care about them, even if you have to be brutal about the situation.
  • Ugh, that's annoying. Sorry to hear Viga. If you ask me, individual friendships don't have to end because the larger group dissolves. In your case you can even say that you have all grown up, so the unadults is over, and sure new groups can be formed, including all or none of the unadults. You can't really force other people to stay friends with each other if they don't want to. That one friend that wants to 'call out' the 'bad' half of the group should just leave that be. Maybe have a final thing with the entire group if that's possible, to end.
  • edited February 2010
    I've had this issue before, I would avoid calling them out on it. Just simply stop inviting them to things. if they want to hang out, they'll get a hold of you (might take them a month to build up the courage.) The people I'm really tight with still get in touch with me on a regular basis, despite a large geographic distance. It's hard, but we make that effort.
    This.

Also, most of the time I take the Goku approach, I leave for the longest time and then I suddenly appear out of the blue and it is so surprising that it goes full circle and it seems like time hasn't pass at all. That is what I did when I went back to Peru a couple of years ago, some of my friends had kids or got married but suddenly it look as if we were back in our younger days again :P
    It will get better believe me :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • If the 3 others don't want to spend time with you, contact you, etc. then what is to be done? The problem fixes itself.
  • It's sad that this happens.
    It's really up to you. If you wish to hang out with all of your friends, try your best to hang out with them (not all at the same time). Otherwise as the others say, just leave them alone for some time.
  • I've had this issue before, I would avoid calling them out on it. Just simply stop inviting them to things. if they want to hang out, they'll get a hold of you (might take them a month to build up the courage.) The people I'm really tight with still get in touch with me on a regular basis, despite a large geographic distance. It's hard, but we make that effort.
    Truth. I had a bad situation when I was a small child where I broke it off with a guy who thought I was a friend, in the worst possible way. He took it pretty bad and basically became an introvert. Since then, I've been hypersensitive to ending friendships correctly, and a similar instance taught me that this is the best way to do that. Let nature take its course. If you yourself don't want to hang out with them, you don't have to do that, either. (Unlikely given your post, but still relevant.)

What's sad for me at the moment is all this drama going on with one of my friends. I'll spare the details, but it boils down to her being mad at a friend for a really stupid reason. She's taken it to the point where she doesn't want anything to do with the other friend or her tastes (she won't watch Firefly because the friend also likes it). We're all sick of it, but I still hang out with her and wish she'd get over it.
  • I had a problem with my group of friends last year, when there was a giant schism. They were one of my first big group of friends as well, and the two girls involved in the main argument were two of my closest female friends, basically. Now both sides still hate each other. I never chose sides, and a bunch of people still talk to both sides on friendly terms. I say the best way to deal with something like this is to look at the problems in your friend group, and then decide if you agree with either side, or think that you could ever pick one side over the other. For me, my friends' issues, at least initially, were and still are a secret to me. Therefore, I can't pick sides, and don't really want to. If you do or don't agree with one of the sides, do something about it. If you agree with one side, side with them. If you don't agree with either side, make sure you let people know, as the drama goes down, that you refuse to be sucked into the middle. My friends were ultimately okay with that, and let me stay on both sides without being forced into the middle of an argument. Hopefully your friends are cool enough to allow you to stay close to those in the group they're no longer friends with...
  • I've never really had to excommunicate someone specifically. Why bother telling someone, "I'm not your friend anymore!" when you can just let it be? If you don't wanna hang out with them, then don't. If they don't have time or desire to hang out with you guys, then maybe it's because they have other priorities. People drift apart, but that doesn't mean you need to burn your bridges to them. If they're not responding to attempts to get together, then just leave them alone. If they want to, they'll get in touch with you. If not, you're better off focusing on the people who give a damn about you.

I, personally, have a 3 strikes rule.

If I try to initiate hang-outage with you and you blow me off or something comes up, that's cool. It happens. I'll try again. So let's say I call you a second time, and it happens again. Less cool, but I'm willing to give you another chance. If it happens a third time, with no attempt by you to initiate anything in the meantime, then you are off the list of people I actively try to hang out with. It is now up to you to contact me if you want to do something. I assume that if you do not contact me, then you couldn't care less about spending time with me, and you are not worth my time to pursue as a friend.

Note that an important part of this is that the other person doesn't attempt to contact you or initiate anything between the first attempt and the last attempt. Obviously if you are calling me or trying to work out a plan and work or kids (or whatever) ends up intervening, that's a different situation. At least call me or IM me every once in awhile to show you give a shit. There's a maximum amount of "I'll call you later" without followthrough that I will put up with.
  • I've never really had to excommunicate someone specifically. Why bother telling someone, "I'm not your friend anymore!" when you can just let it be? If you don't wanna hang out with them, then don't. If they don't have time or desire to hang out with you guys, then maybe it's because they have other priorities. People drift apart, but that doesn't mean you need to burn your bridges to them. If they're not responding to attempts to get together, then just leave them alone. If they want to, they'll get in touch with you. If not, you're better off focusing on the people who give a damn about you.
    ^This. It sounds kinda familiar actually. *strokes beard*
  • edited February 2010
    Sometimes, people just drift apart. It happens. If they don't want to hang out with you, fuck 'em. Go spend time with people that want to spend time with you.

Option 2 is a well-placed cockpunch.

EDIT:
    ^This. It sounds kinda familiar actually. *strokes beard*
    What beard?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • What beard?
    I haven't shaved since it started snowing out of laziness. I'll show ya this weekend.
  • All I gotta say is that from what I have seen as smartness and coolness of friends increases, drama decreases. The old saying goes, save the drama for your mama. If people have big time drama, I just don't associate with them. There isn't enough time in the day for that shit.
  • edited February 2010
    All I gotta say is that from what I have seen as smartness and coolness of friends increases, drama decreases. The old saying goes, save the drama for your mama. If people have big time drama, I just don't associate with them. There isn't enough time in the day for that shit.
    I am going to enter into the Scott Rubin zone for a moment and say this: Drama is only a problem if you pay attention to it or take any stock in it. If you just ignore it, refuse to discuss the drama with the drama mongers, and don't put any care or concern in it, then it really isn't a problem. Case-in-point: My Uncle was being a douche about some issues regarding my Grandma's death. My mother removed herself as co-executor to avoid any legal drama and whenever he did something that was douchey on a personal level, we would both get annoyed at it for a moment and then simply let it go. It was frustrating and we had to put up with him and his issues, but we decided that it really didn't matter in the long run, so why bother being invested emotionally in it?
    If someone you care about has a genuine problem, then help them with it. If it is self-created problem, an invented problem, or a fixable problem and they refuse to fix the problem, then there is nothing you can do other than point out the problem, point out the solution, and walk away until they handle it. Another case-in-point: A friend of mine in high school was seeing a jerky guy. The guy made her feel terrible, but she stayed with him because she "loved him". I told her to break up with him, but she didn't. From that point on, any time she even started to talk about him or the issues he created in her life I would interrupt her and say "Don't talk to me about it until you break up with him." She stopped talking to me all together eventually and I was fine with that.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I had a group of high school friends quite similar to yours. However, over the summer before college, people started showing some different sides.

A guy I considered my best friend made in high school started drinking, smoking bales of weed, experimenting with other drugs, and excluding me from events because he "didn't think [I'd] be interested" and started hanging out with a group of people I considered born losers, idiots, and burnouts. He began to claim that he "had [me] all figured out" and that I only do things for the approval of others or for an interesting anecdote. Things got really bad no matter how many times he'd explain that he was drunk, high, or hadn't had a drink when he said that stuff. I think he still considers us friends. I'm not sure I do.

One of the girls I hung with had some extreme issues (alcoholism, anorexia, bulimia, BDD, and a host of others). I gave up late senior year after realizing that she showed no interest in helping herself. Another girl became a horrific egocentric bitch who treats me like trash, trivializes my interests, and turns any conversation about my issues when the group is together to how she has it worse. I only tolerate her for the usage of her house when we all get together (don't judge me), but otherwise she's completely out of my life.

Two girls who are each a year older than myself were in this group. One is shallow as a puddle, and the other is judgmental and crazy. I do not associate with either of them.

A third girl remains one of my best friends; however, I harbor an intense yet well-hidden dislike for her boyfriend, who is quite literally brain damaged from years of experimental drug use (inhalants + opiates, anyone?) and the two of them lack any sense of restraint when together. I suspect she only likes him because he is dangerous. I'm still tight with three other guys from that original group, and we get along really well; one of them goes to school with me and we meet up every so often (usually in conjunction with Model UN). The other two are quite awesome, yet I see them rarely.

If this entire thing taught me anything, it's that high school friendships are built to fail, and the only ones that don't are the only ones that were worth keeping in the first place.
  • edited February 2010
    it's that high school friendships are built to fail,
    That's a bit harsh. Most of mine remain in place. Though they were the ones worth keeping. I'm actually the best man in my Jurior high friend's wedding.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Though they were the ones worth keeping.
    Exactly.
    I'm actually the best man in my Jurior high friend's wedding.
    See, that's cool. I'm rooming with guys I've known since the 3rd grade right now; we grew up together. What I said was purely from the point of view of someone who was the only kid from their junior high at a specific high school, and started from scratch making friends there. I'm still very good friends with many people I met before grades 9-12.
  • Going through this is never easy, but I was given some advice a couple years ago that I have resolved to keep, and it really does help in the long run. Basically, the advice was to "get rid of people who hold you back." This is associated with the whole get-rid-of-drama angle, but I also take it to the level where if my old friends don't care enough to get in touch with me, then there's no point in trying to keep that going. Now, I can't really say I've ever had a situation where I wanted to actively get rid of some old friends because they annoyed me. I have had friends who changed over time to become the kind of person I don't want to hang out with, so I just stopped doing it. So once we split up, usually because we move on to new schools and jobs and such, then I just don't try to keep in touch. On the other hand, I still have several friends who I can contact and actually get a response, so we continue to be friends.

In general, I'm just saying that if friends stop being people you want to hang out with, then just back off for a while and see what they do first. Perhaps you all feel the same about each other, so the problem will just go away without any effort.

• We've been through a lot and were close friends, but now things are supposedly falling apart. One of them were talking to me about it. How we don't hang out as much and some just don't want to. I explained that with our lives now (schooling, working, parenting) that happens. Simply were grown, so we have to make time and keep in touch. However, the case is some just don't want to anymore. Plus, apparently there has been some drama. I wasn't really aware of it since I have a no drama with the Viga rule for myself. Long story short, one friend wants it to be just Her, X and me since the other 3 either never want to do anything or just doesn't care anymore. She even wants to call them out on this intervention style. Me? I just don't want to abandon anyone or lose friends.
    Here is another piece of advice that I find to be important. If you have a group of 6 friends that always hang out but your starting to feel distance to a few of them, try and spend some time hanging with the ones you feel distant with one on one. (even if it's just IM chat) The FRC is known to hang out in large groups because we all travel far to see each other in large gatherings, but it's the times when there is only one or two of us together that really helps with the overall group bonding. Sometimes when you hang in a group it's easy to forget the reasons you like each individual person, spend some time talking one on one with which ever members you feel distant to. You'll thank me later.
  • Thank you, everyone. You gave me some really good advice. Now I have to apply it to the situation at hand. Really, everyone. Thanks. I feel happier.