This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Want to earn a million dollars writing software?

edited February 2010 in Technology
I've run into a really annoying computer-related problem that needs a solution. When I go to apply for jobs online through job-search sites like Monster or Careerbuilder, I have to enter all my personal information, references, employment history, etc. I also have to keep this information updated across numerous sites. In addition, when applying to jobs through said sites, companies that have listed classified ads on the sites claiming they are looking for employees often make you then create a login/id on their own site and then re-enter every last piece of information, despite all of it being available already on the job site they advertised on. This is frustrating, annoying, and time-consuming.

I would love to see a piece of software in which I could enter all of my information, resume, job history, and references. Then enter job search sites I want my information to appear on, and have it keep those sites updated. Additionally, I would love it to be able to recognize fields and forms when I need to do the whole "enter your entire life" thing on a company's website and automatically enter the information.

If this software exists, I've not found it. If you make it, I'll love you forever.

Comments

• The problem is you are using sites like Monster or Career Builder. I've gotten every job I've had through Craigslist, no other sites required.
  • The problem is you are using sites like Monster or Career Builder. I've gotten every job I've had through Craigslist, no other sites required.
    He is using Craigslist as well. It is a different industry and there are much fewer jobs available in it, so he has to use every resource he can. Your personal experience doesn't really apply in this situation.
  • edited February 2010
    The problem is you are using sites like Monster or Career Builder. I've gotten every job I've had through Craigslist, no other sites required.
    QFT. I also usually don't apply to IT jobs asking for a .doc resume, because they generally don't know what they're doing (I send pdfs).

EDIT: Also, Craigslist in Rochester, while not as good as the San Francisco one (because EVERYONE uses it there), isn't half bad. I've gotten one spam email, but I have three interviews set up and have offers for two more.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
    QFT. I also usually don't apply to IT jobs asking for a .doc resume, because they generally don't know what they're doing (I send pdfs).
    He isn't looking for IT jobs.
  • Where are you looking for jobs? Most states have a online listing just for education jobs.

New York's is http://www.olasjobs.org/

New Hampshire's is http://www.edjobsnh.com/Edj/front/scripts/default.cfm
  • He isn't looking for IT jobs.
    Very true. I just added that last part in there as an aside. I have to say, Craigslist's education jobs section doesn't look too bad. Not sure how many of them are real offers, though.
  • Where are you looking for jobs? Most states have a online listing just for education jobs.
    New York's ishttp://www.olasjobs.org/
    Honestly, OLAS is a joke. Only a tiny fraction of teaching jobs get posted there. He still checks it regularly, but it is by no means a "one stop shop".
  • Have you guys thought about offering private lessons or tutoring at all?
  • That is not an easy thing to do, and it is very, very hard to trust people and for them to trust you. Additionally, every private tutoring position I have ever seen advertised online has always, without fail, either been an complete scam or a fake position trying to get you to buy something.