This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

RIT switching to semesters from quarters

2»

Comments

• The problem is that once you have a degree, you already have a ticket to get high paying jobs in the private sector, so the life of research is not super attractive to most.
    *sigh* I wish I wasn't going for an arts based degree... Fucking goals and aspirations...
  • The problem is that once you have a degree, you already have a ticket to get high paying jobs in the private sector, so the life of research is not super attractive to most.
    *sigh* I wish I wasn't going for an arts based degree... Fucking goals and aspirations...
    Huh?
    Huh?
    Arts degrees, compared to IT degrees, are not an automatic ticket to a high paying job.
  • edited February 2010
    Arts degrees, compared to IT degrees, are not an automatic ticket to a high paying job.
    No shit. I was confused at the fact that he would choose to get an arts degree if he hasn't already come to terms with this reality.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited February 2010
    No shit. I was confused at the fact that he would choose to get an arts degree if he hasn't already come to terms with this reality.
    Well, you didn't articulate that very well. I expect he was making a joke half joking.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited February 2010
    I expect he was making a joke.
    I hope. He probably was and my assumption is unfounded, but I am all too familiar with the types of people who start art degrees and then complain about how they won't make any money, and that sort of thing annoys me to no end.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I hope. He probably was and my assumption is unfounded, but I am all too familiar with the types of people who start art degrees and then complain about how they won't make any money, and that sort of thing annoys me to no end.
    You just have to get the kind of art education that makes you a good artist instead of a jerkoff. :)
  • Very true. Or just not be a jerkoff and accept that you're doing what you're doing because you love it and making a ton of money isn't that important to you.
  • I chose money over passion. Some people choose passion over money. That's probably the most fundamental career decision you'll ever have to make in your entire life.

I'm just lucky that I make enough money to also pursue my passion, and the money may eventually allow me to trade sides completely.
  • edited February 2010
    Indeed, that choice is made, though it's a false dichotomy.
    Also, some people get both, some just one, and some get none, but this is a false trichotomy.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I chose money over passion. Some people choose passion over money. That's probably the most fundamental career decision you'll ever have to make in your entire life.
    QFT. I get to do something I really like for my job, but I make 1/3 of the money Rym does. It pays the bills, but I have to be frugal. Don't go into Art for the money, go into it for the fun.
  • The only problem with that is RIT doesn't believe in -/+ on grades (is bitter because he always had a B+ or a C+ and ended up with a 3.0 or 2.0 added to the GPA instead of some weight :-()
    They just changed that too.
  • They justchanged that too.
    Sorta, they haven't weighted the GPA though.
  • edited February 2010
    On its own, the change from quarters to semesters doesn't mean much. There's less class granularity, yes, but increased ability to study a topic in-depth or do larger-scale projects; it's six of one, half-a-dozen of the other.

However, the fact that RIT so desperately focuses on "raising the retention rate" when they accept so many people who probably shouldn't be there is a very bad sign. As has been said by others, the fact that it's hard is a large part of what makes the degree meaningful.
    Post edited by Alex on
  • This whole thing saddens me, the quarters felt "right" to me for a class length. The change doesn't happen for a couple more years though, perhaps enough time for backlash and protesting before everyone is too adjusted to go back easily.
  • Arts degrees, compared to IT degrees, are not an automatic ticket to a high paying job.
    Gunter got it spot on. And I have already come to terms with it, but so far its the most efficient way from here to being on the radio.
    I chose money over passion. Some people choose passion over money. That's probably the most fundamental career decision you'll ever have to make in your entire life.
    QFT. I get to do something I really like for my job, but I make 1/3 of the money Rym does. It pays the bills, but I have to be frugal. Don't go into Art for the money, go into it for the fun.
    Oh, believe me, If there was a way to get on the radio without having to get this stupid Broadcast Journalism degree, I would. I have a pretty good fallback, though. If I'm not at least in the radio industry within 3-5 years of graduating, I'll cut my losses, move to a small town, and start an internet cafe'/ PC repair shop. I shall make baked goods, some coffee and tea, and be snarky. I call it plan "D" for Dora of the webcomic "Questionable Content".
  • I'll cut my losses, move to a small town, and start an internet cafe'/ PC repair shop. I shall make baked goods, some coffee and tea, and be snarky.
    That's my backup in the event that I stop having fun with my job. Hopefully I can keep that from happening.
  • My backup is English teacher.
  • Not particularly funny or creative (especially if you're an alum), but very relevant.
  • edited February 2010
    Heh. Der Untergang always gives me a chuckle.

EDIT: I MEAN THIS SCENE. THE ACTUAL MOVIE IS VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • So a lot of you are pissed off about this. So am I.

A lot of you would like to voice your opinions about this. So do I.

Most of you are not afraid to get in somebody's face when they've done something so egregious to you that you can't stand it. Neither am I.

Here's your chance to do something about it.

This event is less than two weeks away, but it appears to be completely free. I live 15 minutes away from Latham, so it's an easy drive for me.

Want to tell Destler what you think? I can host about 3 people at my apartment.
  • People are idiots. On Facebook I linked to this, which is a terrific visualization of the information that I found via RIT Reddit. This was the response I got.
    She didn't respond after that. Maybe apples are too complex for her to understand.
  • She didn't respond after that. Maybe apples are too complex for her to understand.
    Actually, I think she's agreeing with you, but thought that you were saying your current education is devalued because of a future move.
  • She didn't respond after that. Maybe apples are too complex for her to understand.
    Well, one of her favorite quotations is
    "Sometimes people just don’t get it and you have to let them figure it out on their own. There’s nothing you can do to change what you see and they don’t."
    Actually, I think she's agreeing with you, but thought that you were saying yourcurrenteducationis devalued because of a future move.
    I thought this too, so I worded my first response to her very carefully to try to eliminate any confusion. Was I still too ambiguous?
  • "Sometimes people just don’t get it and you have to let them figure it out on their own. There’s nothing you can do to change what you see and they don’t."
    Considering her opening argument seems to be "Getting less education isn't getting less education." may I suggest that she is one of these people?
    Actually, I think she's agreeing with you, but thought that you were saying yourcurrenteducation is devalued because of a future move.
    I think she's arguing, just very, very poorly. Her first statement seems to say "You're not getting less education, because you're still maxing out the amount of classes you can take in a semester, even though you can fit less classes into a semester" (I have no idea if this is how the system actually is - I'm just trying to figure out what she's trying to say) and her second comment seems to be "Right, so we're paying the same amount for less classroom time and classes, I get that. But I don't think that 120 hours was that valuable in the first place, or why would they think it acceptable to cut it?"
  • Was RIT's quarter system different than other schools' quarter systems? I know me and my friend were going to different schools, mine semester based (Two 4 month semesters per year, with summer semester being optional) and his quarter based (Three 3 month semesters per year, also summer optional), but in Calculus for example, his Calculus A, B and C covered the same as my Calculus I and II. Perhaps they'll adjust how much each class teaches based on the format change? I don't know how RIT works though.
  • RIT's quarter system works like so.

10 weeks of class, one week of finals. That happens four times per year, but one of the quarters is summer, and most people don't go in summer. There's usually a small break between each quarter, but the winter quarter has a break right in the middle of it.
  • The quarter system certainly allowed me to take a greater variety of art classes than would have been possible under a semester system, and I really enjoyed the frequent breaks the quarter system offered. This is a shame, but hardly unsurprising as RIT had a very very bad habit of screwing what the students wanted in favor of getting money.