This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Buying a E-reader and a Big flat screen: Suggestions

Comments

• edited February 2010
    I just picked up a 42" 1080P Panasonic Plasma from BestBuy for $750. It is much better than my previous 32" 1080P LCD from sharp.

There is one downside, lack of an anti-reflective coating on the screen. However, the picture is nothing less than awesome and when you pair it up with a Panasonic HTIB the total package is amazing.

I'm now watching Blu-ray movies on this thing and I need only one remote. Panasonic also offers a new service called Viera Link which allows you to get Youtube, Bloomberg, Piccasa and Amazon VOD via your home network right on your TV. Add in an Xbox (Netflix) and what more do you need?

As for an ebook reader I use my iPod Touch and the Amazon/Barnes and Noble apps.

If you get the Panasonic get the matching Home Theater.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I ended up going for this50" 1080P pansonic Plasma for 980

If you get the Panasonic get the matchingHome Theater.
    And apparently you are psychic because I found this tucked in the corner yesterday without a price on it and picked it up I found it weird that inferior Panasonic system costs more!
  • On the e-reader front,here is one more thing to muddy the waters.
    Looks more like an Ipad instead of a dedicated E-reader.

We are going with the Nook, HOWEVER Barnes and Nobles really sucks the website says it's in stock at a bunch of different stores but when you call them they don't have them because the shipment didn't arrive on time, I can't understand why they don't have their stock update when it arrives and not when it's shipped otherwise you have a situation like this... ugh.
  • edited February 2010
    I ended up going for this50" 1080P pansonic Plasma for 980

If you get the Panasonic get the matchingHome Theater.
    And apparently you are psychic because I found this tucked in the corner yesterday without a price on it and picked it up I found it weird thatinferior Panasonic system costs more!It was about $350 when I got it and the bigger one was still full price ($500?).

Before you buy the Nook try one at the store. I found it to be very sluggish.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Before you buy the Nook try one at the store. I found it to be very sluggish.
    We did, also note that they have upgraded the firmware recently on the Nook, I know that solved a lot of the trouble reviews were complaining about.
  • That Notionink thing looks pretty cool, but I'm still holding out for the Courier. Dear god that thing is a sexy beast.
  • That Notionink thing looks pretty cool, but I'm still holding out for theCourier. Dear god that thing is a sexy beast.
    Yea, That is pretty darn sexy I'll probably go for that myself when it comes out. (Laura can still use her Nook :-p)
  • edited February 2010
    I agree, the Courier looks impressive, although it might be a little too big for an e-reader. It's not as easy to hold as a single screen device. We are also talking about Microsoft. They aren't leaders when it comes to innovation. But every now and then they get it right (e.g. Xbox), so I've got my fingers crossed.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • For some reason, nothing about the Courier appeals to me in any way. If one of the screens was e-ink and the other LCD I could see the point. As is, I'm not so sure. So far, out of all the tablets/etc devices (and I've wanted one for years now, but never pulled the trigger at the right time) the iPad and the Adam look the most interesting. Apple, because I know it will work great for everything I need, but the battery life on the Adam looks great, and the expandable memory/sd card reader means I could back up photos on the go, so I could head off on a week long trip without having to take my laptop. In theory.
  • I don't understand what the big hype about e-ink is. Why can't people just look at a normal LCD or OLED screen? Thousands of people stare at screens all day, and they're still alive. In fact, I have never gotten eye strain from staring at a screen. You all must be old fogeys or genetically inferior.

Actually, that sounds a lot like something Rym would say. But in all seriousness, what's so special about e-ink? It takes a shit-long time to refresh, and looks like ass on a plate. I greatly prefer an OLED screen to e-ink.
  • edited February 2010
    It's far superior in daylight. It's also easier on the eyes, at least in my opinion. I suppose that's subjective, though. When I use my e-reader, I pretty much forget that I am using an electronic device. It really is just like printed material. The issue with the refresh time, for reading books, is vastly overstated. You learn quickly to hit the "next page" button when you still have a couple words left on the page, and it's quicker than flipping a physical page.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited February 2010
    The other major thing about e-ink is battery life. It basically only uses energy when the page is turning, and takes almost no energy to just maintain the current image. An LCD screen uses a constant amount of energy depending on the brightness regardless of what you are doing. This is important because books are often read hours at a time. If you are a short attention span punk kid who doesn't read, this doesn't matter to you.

Also, you can extend LCD battery life by using a larger battery, but that makes a heavier and larger device. Likewise you can shrink the battery in an e-ink device and make it much smaller and lighter.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited February 2010
    Actually, that sounds a lot like something Rym Scott would say.
    FTFY. I don't mean anything by all this making fun of Scott, It's just messing about.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Fail, the nook is not detecting properly on any of my computers (and I've attached it to my new windows 7 64bit, Laura's Vista machine, my old XP and my work laptop with XP) and the freaking thing won't connect.. If only I had a cable that had another mini-usb (all I have is micro usb *sigh*) will have to bring it back to B&N and see if they can figure it out.
  • Hmm, good points, though I still personally find the page turning, at least on the Kindles, to be very clunky. Not sure about other devices, though. As for battery life, I could see that being perhaps the most important consideration. Hopefully new screen technologies (pixelqi etc) should make this better.
  • I don't mind reading in an LCD. The greatest advantage of an e-ink display is battery life.
  • I've been wanting to see the next-gen Kindle. Now I'm really interested.
  • Next-Gen Nook, maybe? If the Kindle ever supports EPUB natively and has a color screen I'll be all over that like white on rice. For now, this one is looking like the lead contender.
  • Next-Gen Nook, maybe?If the Kindle ever supports EPUB natively and has a color screen I'll be all over that like white on rice. For now, this one is looking like the lead contender.
    Laura pointed this out. I have to say Laura is in Love with her first gen Nook, so will probably look at this color one when it comes out (and give me the b/w one)
  • Next-Gen Nook, maybe?If the Kindle ever supports EPUB natively and has a color screen I'll be all over that like white on rice. For now, this one is looking like the lead contender.
    Laura pointed this out. I have to say Laura is in Love with her first gen Nook, so will probably look at this color one when it comes out (and give me the b/w one)
    I wouldn't really consider the Nook color a ebook reader since it doesn't have an E-Ink screen. Isn't it really more of a tablet?
  • edited November 2010
    Next-Gen Nook, maybe?If the Kindle ever supports EPUB natively and has a color screen I'll be all over that like white on rice. For now, this one is looking like the lead contender.
    I wouldn't really consider the Nook color a ebook reader since it doesn't have an E-Ink screen. Isn't it really more of a tablet?
    It's poised to be the first good Android Tablet with an anti-glare LCD screen, long battery life, eventual Android Market support, AND it supports PDF natively for all your comic reading needs. It's a damn good device, and it should be considered because, even if it doesn't work like a Kindle, it has all these features at a price point of $250.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • It's poised to be the first good Android Tablet with an anti-glare LCD screen, long battery life, eventual Android Market support, AND it supports PDF natively for all your comic reading needs. It's a damn good device, and it should be considered because, even if it doesn't work like a Kindle, it has all these features at a price point of $250.
    Not to mention that since it's Android-based the chances that someone will hack in support for CBZ/CBR files in due time is a pretty safe bet. If some enterprising geek makes that happen then this one is definitely on the "must buy" list.
  • edited November 2010
    It's poised to be the first good Android Tablet with an anti-glare LCD screen, long battery life, eventual Android Market support, AND it supports PDF natively for all your comic reading needs. It's a damn good device, and it should be considered because, even if it doesn't work like a Kindle, it has all these features at a price point of $250.
    Not to mention that since it's Android-based the chances that someone will hack in support for CBZ/CBR files in due time is a pretty safe bet. If some enterprising geek makes that happen then this one is definitely on the "must buy" list.
    I think I'm asking for the Nook Color for Christmas. Does anyone have any arguments for the Kindle? I mean, the Nook Color doesn't have 3G, but I have an iPhone. Comics and manga are as important as being able to read PDFs and novels for me.

EDIT: I think I'll put it on the list. Being able to have all of the MAKE and CRAFT archives on a single Android tab in color is awesome enough.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • It's poised to be the first good Android Tablet with an anti-glare LCD screen, long battery life, eventual Android Market support, AND it supports PDF natively for all your comic reading needs. It's a damn good device, and it should be considered because, even if it doesn't work like a Kindle, it has all these features at a price point of $250.
    Done.
  • Wow. Yeah. Okay.
  • I want the nook color, but with a fuskin' browser for 3G. WTF, B&N?
  • I'm having a tough time deciding. Anyone try rulebooks and/or comics on the Kindle? The e-paper screen is a HUGE draw right now.
  • I'm having a tough time deciding. Anyone try rulebooks and/or comics on the Kindle? The e-paper screen is a HUGE draw right now.
    I've tried Mangas and they've worked fine.
  • My mother wants a Kindle for Christmas. I can't be assed to explain why DRM is bad, and to be honest it won't make a difference to her. it's not like anyone of her generation actually likes sharing stuff with each other (at least digitally). My only question is should I get the high speed one with wifi?