This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Buying a E-reader and a Big flat screen: Suggestions

13»

Comments

• Get the newest 3g one. It's what I've got and I don't know how I lived without it. I'm now addicted to reading again and I love it.
  • I'm in agreement with Katiebear in that we're probably going to wait for a Nook Color with 3g and a browser before pulling the trigger. That being said, if anyone stumbles across a device that is an E-reader with color, touch screen, 3g, and a browser, let me know.
  • That being said, if anyone stumbles across a device that is an E-reader with color, touch screen, 3g, and a browser, let me know.
    iPad.
  • That being said, if anyone stumbles across a device that is an E-reader with color, touch screen, 3g, and a browser, let me know.
    iPad.
    Oh yeah, and that isn't $600.
  • edited November 2010
    That being said, if anyone stumbles across a device that is an E-reader with color, touch screen, 3g, and a browser, let me know.
    iPad.
    Oh yeah, and that isn't $600.
    iPod touch + 3g wifi thingy. Also, 3G convertible netbook with touch screen.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2010
    My mother wants a Kindle for Christmas. I can't be assed to explain why DRM is bad, and to be honest it won't make a difference to her. it's not like anyone of her generation actually likes sharing stuff with each other (at least digitally). My only question is should I get the high speed one with wifi?
    You can read DRM-free ebooks and docs on the kindle. Bookchan has just about any book you'd want, DRM-free. Torrents, too.
    Get the newest 3g one. It's what I've got and I don't know how I lived without it. I'm now addicted to reading again and I love it.
    I told my mom I wanted one for Christmas yesterday; I think she herself is interested in it too. The battery life (months!!) ended up being the biggest draw; as a student, what I really need is a dedicated document reader with an e-paper screen, and a ultraportable laptop for everything else. Also, Bookchan, /tg/'s scanned rulebooks, and scanlations provide even more material to use with the device. And it does email, podcasts, and browsing, too!
    Nook Color has been rooted.Installing otherAPKs is possible. Time for me to start saving my shekels.
    Of course, this news has to come the day after I go with the other option. >_<;;

Still, <a href="https://xkcd.com/548">Randall Munroe is right about many things.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • convertible netbook
    They all suck right now. Also, they're pretty close to $500.
  • convertible netbook
    What about that new Dell Inspiron Duo with the swingy screen? Still around $500-ish, but maybe less sucky?
  • convertible netbook
    What about that new Dell Inspiron Duo with the swingy screen? Still around $500-ish, but maybe less sucky?
    Oh, I forgot that was a netbook. According to Engadget, it's heavier than most netbooks, has shorter battery life, and "suffers from its own identity crisis." That's pretty much on par with all of the other convertible netbooks.
  • I'd really like Asus to come out with a convertible EEE pc running android that is ~$300.
  • I'd really like Asus to come out with a convertible EEE pc running android that is ~$300.
    No thanks. Android sucks on anything other than a phone right now. I'd prefer 100% hardware support for (K)Ubuntu Netbook Remix.