This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mamoru Hosoda (Girl Who Leapt Through Time; Summer Wars) is coming to Boston!

edited February 2010 in Everything Else
MIT/Harvard Cool Japan Project presents "Summer Wars"

03.01.10 | 7pm | Building 26 Rm. 100 (MIT Campus)

The New England premiere of the anime feature film "Summer Wars" (2009, Director Mamoru HOSODA, Madhouse / Kadokawa). The director and producer of the film, both based in Japan, will be present at the screening and will participate in a Q/A/discussion after the film.

The film explores the drama of high school romance, hackers in virtual worlds, the complexities of extended families, and the potentials of our hyper-connected present. Suitable for all ages but aimed at teens and adults, the film is a wonderful example of recent anime virtuosity by Japan's hottest young director. Director Hosoda's previous film, "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" (2006), won many prizes including the Japan Academy Award for Best Animated Film.

35mm print, Japanese voices, English subtitles. Free and open to the public.

http://cms.mit.edu/events/specialevents.php#030110

Comments

• D:

I hate you Boston so much. I'm a big fan of him since the Digimon days.
  • D:

I hate you Boston so much. I'm a big fan of him since the Digimon days.
    Definitely. You should look for the Torrent of Summer Wars, it's really great.
  • D: Wh-what? Oh damnit, we probably can't go..
  • I will make the best effort I can to go.
  • We saw a bad torrent of it a few weeks ago, along with Rym and Alex. I like it a lot and hope that I can see it on the big screen sometime this summer. I'm betting that at some point it will come to NYC, maybe with the Children's Film Festival, like Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
  • We saw a bad torrent of it a few weeks ago, along with Rym and Alex. I like it a lot and hope that I can see it on the big screen sometime this summer. I'm betting that at some point it will come to NYC, maybe with the Children's Film Festival, likeGirl Who Leapt Through Time.
    You bet right. And Hosoda is coming to NY on the 26th for the premier. :] Yay.
  • edited February 2010
    Aww yeah. Let's go!

Edit: Also, do you want to go see "the Book of Kells" in March? I've been wanting to watch that one.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Do you mean "The Secret of Kells"? If so, then hellz yah.
  • That's the one! White-haired fairy wolf-girls FTW!
  • Is The Secret of Kells using character designs from one of the staff of Samurai Jack? It looks so similar! (And IMDB doesn't help, since they don't list production staff as lengthily as Anime News Network.)
  • No, I believe it was an Irish illustrator who did the character designs. I can look it up?
  • Wow, that film looks fantastic.
  • Right? Cool style.

Also, the fairie girl Aisling really reminds me Inle, the character in my film.
  • Also, the fairie girl Aisling really reminds me Inle, the character in my film.
    I'm also reminded of her. ;)

Natalie and I both bought our tickets for Summer Wars. Can't wait! :D