This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

HTML5 Video

edited February 2010 in Technology
Due to my continued loathing of Flash. I was doing some digging around to see if there was a way to install h.264 in Firefox when I came across this article comparing h.264 and Theora at similar bit-rates.
http://hacks.mozilla.org/2009/06/open-video-codecs-and-quality/
What are people's thoughts? How do you think this will turn out in the long run?

Comments

• Neither H.264 nor Theora with the video tag is going to be particularly widespread until Internet Explorer implements it, so Flash is going to remain ubiquitous for a while yet. Under current circumstances, Theora has more HTML 5 implementation in browsers than H.264 does, mostly because of Firefox. However, there is a lot more hardware decoding/acceleration available for H.264. Overall, I think Theora has the best chance of succeeding, but it will take a while.
  • What are people's thoughts? How do you think this will turn out in the long run?
    People are idiots, some of them work on making web browsers and think they should only support the one container + the one audio codec + the one video codec that gives them a hard-on. Youtube uses MP4+H.264+AAC, and that's probably not going to change until more efficient containers+codecs are put out (I'd like to see the NUT container get finished). Flash will remain, some time for video, and for a longer time for every other way Flash is used. This isn't a perfect world, and people are idiots.
  • Nero coming out of the booth!

http://www.scribd.com/full/31797838?access_key=key-2d85ozi4e9l7c1vh9rhb

Didn't see that coming. Maybe Google <3 Nero for some awesomeness.
  • I would have thought Ogg Theora would have greater difficulty in getting accepted due to H.264's hardware acceleration.
    I use Firefox but sometimes fire up Chrome to watch Youtube or Comedy Central.

I thought there was news that Youtube was also re-encoding video files to the ogg theora format in readiness for a possible alternative? Or maybe that was some shit cockery.
  • I thought there was news that Youtube was also re-encoding video files to the ogg theora format in readiness for a possible alternative? Or maybe that was some shit cockery.
    Nope, although they had other plans with another On2-developed codec.

VP8 was recently released as open-source, and that's their alternative to H.264.
  • edited August 2010
    The new Arcade Fire "video" is an interactive browser experience. It's cool as hell, so fire up Google Chrome, and give it a shot. Uses HTML5.
    Post edited by Sail on