This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

An Extremely Miniscule Chance in Hell

edited February 2010 in GeekNights
I'm listening to the latest TWiT, and Leo did an advertisement for his long-time sponsor SquareSpace. He then talked about how SquareSpace just moved to new offices in NY, and their old offices are vacant. He then talked about how he has a plan to put an east coast studio in those old SquareSpace offices and do a morning show. A morning show has to be done on the East coast, because you would have to do it at 3am if you did it on the West coast.

Well, obviously I'm immediately thinking that if that morning show existed, we could do it. Should not Rym and Scott be the geek morning show? I think so, at least. Being realistic I realize there is basically no chance of this happening. Leo doesn't even know who we are, and he's probably just going to pick people he already knows. Also, it's really hard to contact him. He doesn't read e-mail, and it's not like if I message him on a social networking site that it will get through.

Here's the plan. I'm not going to do anything, other than make this forum post and maybe mention it once on the show. If you agree and also think that we should host the TWiT network New York morning show, go and start a big Internet furor that will get attention. Go do whatever the things are that you do on the Internets to turn it into a movement/petition something something whatever. It needs just enough critical mass to get attention. And if it doesn't happen, no big deal. It's about a one in a zillion chance, and expectations and hopes are realistically zero. Still, why not try? Can't hurt.

Comments

• Go for it.
  • If you guys want this to happen, and you push for it, I'll do anything I'd need to do on the Producer side of GeekNights to follow through. You have my word on that.
  • edited February 2010
    There's probably better people for it than you guys, but I can't name any so if it comes down to it you guys have my "vote". However, I'm unlikely to put much zeal into a furore.

EDIT: I will help out if others do most of the work, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Right...E-Commerce...

But seriously, this is different. I'm not good at this sort of thing, but I'm very sure that other people on this forum know how to get it started. I will totally help out if someone else has a good plan.
  • So you want us to get you a morning show spot. Riiiiight...
  • This is definitely a long shot, but it's worth giving some effort. I'm no good at most of the typical ways of starting Internet furor, but I can always try a more direct friend-of-a-friend approach.
  • edited February 2010
    Start a meme ^_~
  • I'm all for this. I'll see if I can get a hold of Steve Gibson and mention it to him. I'll also send it along to an Intern I know at Revision 3, since Rev3 and Twit are pretty close.

Although, guys, If you two actually want this to happen, You should do something too. You already know you have our full support.
  • Although, guys, If you two actually want this to happen, You should do something too. You already know you have our full support.
    Yes, I think part of our problem is that we shy away from shameless self promotion, but shameless self promotion works. Even if we were to try it, we aren't really good at it. Maybe just have to suck it up.
  • edited February 2010
    Except for all the shameless self-promotion on your podcast. Shameless self-promotion is the way to go, though.
  • Except for all the shameless self-promotion on your podcast.
    And all the shameless self-promotion at your con panels for your other con panels.
  • edited February 2010
    Although, guys, If you two actually want this to happen, You should do something too. You already know you have our full support.
    Yes, I think part of our problem is that we shy away from shameless self promotion, but shameless self promotion works. Even if we were to try it, we aren't really good at it. Maybe just have to suck it up.
    Self-promotion in and of itself isn't shameless; there's nothing wrong with showcasing your talents in order to get ahead in life. However, overtly and constantly showboating your talents is wrong. You guys are good and honest people, so I don't think you wold have a problem promoting yourselves without it being shameless.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'm all for this. I'll see if I can get a hold of Steve Gibson and mention it to him. I'll also send it along to an Intern I know at Revision 3, since Rev3 and Twit are pretty close.
    Ditto that. I'll put out some feelers, and see if I know anyone who can pass on a message.
  • Self-promotion in and of itself isn't shameless; there's nothing wrong with showcasing your talents in order to get ahead in life. However, overtly and constantlyshowboatingyour talents is wrong. You guys are good and honest people, so I don't think you wold have a problem promoting yourselves without it being shameless.
    I always thought their problem was they shamelessly promoted within our friend group and didn't do enough of it outside of it :-p
  • The problem is that most shows these days have the requisite "sexy chick." Just look at TV. Apparently you have to be a model to know anything about the news or weather.
  • Apparently you have to be a model to know anything about the news or weather.
    Clearly.

That's our biggest hurdle. We definitely have faces for radio. ^_~

However, I would argue, so do most of the TWiT people. -Zing!-
  • That's our biggest hurdle. We definitely have faces for radio. ^_~
    I once dated a guy who looked like Scott. Neither of you are that bad, really.
  • Apparently you have to be a model to know anything about the news or weather.
    Clearly.

That's our biggest hurdle. We definitely have faces for radio. ^_~

However, I would argue, so do most of the TWiT people. -Zing!-
    I would say that the women of the FRC are pretty cute. Just have one of them on the show with you. It's been proven that you guys have a great dynamic.
  • Is that a hip-hopping Dugtrio?
    I doubt it, but I still really hope it is.
    Who cares if it's not - It is now.
  • Ok, I came up with a way to be self-promotional without shame.

Here's the strategy. We can basically just apply for the "job" straight up. However, instead of sending a resume and cover letter, we'll make a clever video resume. People love clever resumes, like that girl who applied to I think eBay by leaving them a physical toolbox full of her qualifications (or representations thereof).

In our video we can simultaneously list our qualifications while also putting our skills on display. Then once we have that up on the YouTube, we can start a campaign to make YouTube replies, have people tweet it @leolaporte, etc. etc. until it gets some attention. If it gets even that far, we've done enough.
  • Ok, I came up with a way to be self-promotional without shame.
    I'd be more ashamed of that idea than just doing it myself. So you don't like self-promoting, but then you think up what may be the worst attempt at self-promoting ever. Doesn't it sound ridiculous to your 'dislike self-promoting'-sense?
  • Irrespective of the shame aspect, I think it's a good idea - if and only if you can make it really good.
  • edited February 2010
    Ok, I came up with a way to be self-promotional without shame.
    I have a better way: don't feel shame. Self-promotion is part of how you get a job. What do you think you do when you go on an interview? You also have to tailor your resume and cover letter to promote yourself. The entire process of getting a job is nothing but self-promotion.

The key with self-promotion is to be able to back that shit up.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • The key with self-promotion is to be able to back that shit up.
    Or be so great at self-promotion that they never notice :-p
  • The entire process of getting a job is nothing but self-promotion.
    Reason 1 as to why I haven't gotten a job yet.
  • Instead of the video being a resume you guys could just do a show. A dry run of what your east coast TWIT might be like.
  • Instead of the video being a resume you guys could just do a show. A dry run of what your east coast TWIT might be like.
    We thought of that also. Maybe we'll do both?