This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Civilization V

Comments

• Anyone play this post patch, They haven't fixed the multi-player yet but apparently they really really fixed the single player stuff and the game is actually difficult at high levels of play.
  • Anyone play this post patch, They haven't fixed the multi-player yet but apparently they really really fixed the single player stuff and the game is actually difficult at high levels of play.
    Yeah, I saw the gigantic list of things changed in the patch. I like it a lot. Definitely going to play some single player soon. I really like how circuses have no maintenance.
  • Sadly, my interest is now almost entirely in multiplayer.

The game is verymuch like a "real" boardgame, and plays out like one. This really makes it more about "winning" and less about world-building. I played Civ IV to see how the world evolved, and "winning" was a sort of natural consequence of playing. I take every turn in Civ V with my specific victory conditions in mind.

Single-player Civ IV was a sandbox. Single-player Civ 5 is like single-player Puerto Rico. I get little satisfaction from beating AI opponents (at least, as AI currently stands). As such, I rarely play single-player anymore.
  • edited December 2010
    Single-player Civ IV was a sandbox. Single-player Civ 5 is like single-player Puerto Rico. I get little satisfaction from beating AI opponents (at least, as AI currently stands). As such, I rarely play single-player anymore.
    Well from what I was seeing the AI is not completely stupid now. (reading the Civfanatics forum)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited January 2011
    I love when CEO's and designers get involved in internet forum debates.. Over at the stardock forums the CEO is trolling :-p

stardock forums

In a forum post the CEO of star dock wrote this,

"Don't be insane.

Do you have any idea how much of the design process as well as scheduling is altered when you're dealing with a publicly traded company?

Seriously. If you don't like Civ V, think carefully about what it is you don't like about it. Seriously.

Moreover, as some have already observed, Kael is the one taking over design on Elemental from me. We desperately need someone who has AAA experience in extending game engines.

Don't let the din of the Internet fool you. The outstanding qualities of a given person are not what they often seem to be. You guys who love Kael so much don't realize that what makes him a magical super being is that he's an enterprise level project manager. Similarly, what makes Jon so amazing is his ability to extend what is there in new and interesting ways. These are crucial, important and most crucially, rare talents in our industry.

If you don't like Civ V, don't blame Jon. Don't blame Firaxis either. The truth behind games is a lot more complex than it seems on the surface.

As someone whose job for the past 2+ years has been to be a human punching bag for other people's decisions, I can tell you that the Internet "narrative" is almost never right."
  • Bought this on a deal-of-the-day sale. Still sitting on a shelf, in shrinkwrap, with an Amazon.com full refund return window that closes on Jan 31st. Still have heard nothing about this multiplayer fix, so thinking this one is going to wind up being sent back and repurchased some day in the far future at a cheaper price, if ever.
  • edited February 2011

The theme to Civ IV won a grammy, 6 years later.. (kinda strange.) Watching this video though makes me want to play CiV IV again.
  • The theme to Civ IV won a grammy, 6 years later..
    This shows even more the complete invalidity of stupid awards shows. How is it possible to win something more than a year after being released other than a lifetime achievement award?
  • edited February 2011
    The theme to Civ IV won a grammy, 6 years later..
    This shows even more the complete invalidity of stupid awards shows. How is it possible to win something more than a year after being released other than a lifetime achievement award?
    Shows how much you're paying attention, I suppose. Baba Yetu was in the running for a Grammy not because it was in a game six years ago, but because Christopher Tin released the song on an album. The album was released somewhat recently (late 2009), with a version of the song that is apparently slightly different than the game version.
    Post edited by Shiam on
  • The theme to Civ IV won a grammy, 6 years later..
    Shows how much you're paying attention, I suppose. Baba Yetu was in the running for a Grammy not because it was in a game six years ago, but because Christopher Tin released the song on an album. The album was released somewhat recently (late 2009), with a version of the song that is apparently slightly different than the game version.
    So if I take old video game and anime OSTs that were only released in Japan and release them in the US this year, will they be eligible for a Grammy? We all know awards like this are just bs, but this is even more poop on the pile.
  • By my understanding, yes if you haven't been able to be considered for the award, when you release something that is eligible for consideration you are, regardless of the actual age of the work. While I agree that awards shows like this are stupid. I don't think that this particular aspect highlights that.
  • "2K Greg has announced that Hotseat is the "much-requested addition" coming in the next patch that is slated to be released in June or early July.
    Quote:
    As many of you know, I mentioned in the most recent patch notes that there will be a "much-requested addition" coming soon. Well, now the mystery is over:

Hotseat is coming in the next big patch, which is currently slated for a June or possibly early July release.

For those of you that do not know, Hotseat is a method of playing multiplayer where multiple players take turns on the same computer. When one player's turn is over, they get up and let the other player sit down to play their turn. We've received many requests for the ETA for this mode being added to the game and so I'm very happy to get to bring this to you guys today.

Also, this patch will contain far more than just Hotseat. The other details of the patch will be revealed in the future, but I wanted to get you guys this big news as soon as I could! "

Well I guess we'll have a game to play for the week of awesome right? :-p Hopefully if they develop a hotseat style for multiplayer that means they might have non-hotseat solution for multi-player over the network as well...
  • Hotseat is ok, since it means you can play by e-mail by mailing the save file around. It still sucks, though.
  • It's not bad, if you are hanging out with someone watching like "Lord of the Rings Trilogy Extended Version" and want to get some gaming on at the same time ^_^ Definitely something I don't tend to have time for anymore but I wish I did ^_^
  • This shows even more the complete invalidity of stupid awards shows.
    While I do not disagree that the award shows are stupid and arbitrary beyond belief, why not take the recognition and run with it? If we must "suffer" these award shows, I say let video games and games and all things geekery get all the glory it can.
  • edited May 2011
    Welcome to the inaugural 'Postie' awards; where we acknowledge the best and brightest, up and coming Trolls of the Internet by valuing arbitrary merits of their forum posts!
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • Can I nominate Kaptain K for the first posthumous award?
  • I think Nine gets Best Troll, Jen gets Best Troll in a Short-Time Thread, Flamming Geek gets some sort of "golden oldies"-type award, and Scott gets Lifetime Achievement
  • This shows even more the complete invalidity of stupid awards shows.
    While I do not disagree that the award shows are stupid and arbitrary beyond belief, why not take the recognition and run with it? If we must "suffer" these award shows, I say let video games and games and all things geekery get all the glory it can.
    Except the Grammy committee and anyone dull enough to watch the grammies has no idea the song was ever in a game.
  • Well I guess we'll have a game to play for the week of awesome right?
    Civ IV?
  • Civ IV?
    True :-p
  • If you want Gods and Kings + civ DLC for cheap, you can get the Gold Edition upgrade this weekend for $5 on Steam. Also discounts for Brave New World.
  • I want to play multiplayer but you all haven't joined me to it. Is there interest to get an epic game going?
  • I am always willing to play Civ V, even flawed. Though I don't have any expansions or DLC at this point.
  • I'm game, though scheduling a whole day for a good match can be difficult.
  • Patch notes for new patch coming before Brave New World release
    MULTIPLAYER

New Mode - Sequential - Similar to the way Single Player works, each player takes turns making their moves.
    New Mode - Hybrid - turns are simultaneous as they've worked in the past, but when wars are declared, any players involved in the wars switch to sequential until the war is resolved. All other uninvolved players still play simultaneous.
    New Mode - Pitboss - Your game can now run in a server mode, which allows players to connect, take their turn, disconnect, and come back later. Email notifications and steam notifications are built into the system. Once the system has received a healthy amount of feedback from the community, we will also include a stand-alone Pitboss server that does not require a steam account to run.
    Added an "Observer" mode to watch a multiplayer game.
    Added ability to play custom maps in multiplayer. Host and all players must place custom maps in the main games "maps" directory to be usable.
    Added ability to kick a player in-game.
    Added ability to save a game configuration from the Staging room, so players can keep various "favorite" game settings ready to go.
    Reworked hot-join code to make hot-join much more reliable.
    Reworked host migration to be more reliable.
    Reworked lobby, added multiple improvements to the way games are setup, and added flexibility when loading a save, and all players are no longer available to play. Also added slot-type pull-downs so host can define the slot-type (like Open, Human Required, AI, and Closed).
    Game will now auto-start when all humans have readied up.
    Added hours/seconds label to turn timer edit box.
    Tracked down and squashed many more causes of out-of-syncs and connection issues, as well as other general bugs.
    Additional polish, notifications for kicks, disconnects, reconnects, host changes, multiple UI and tooltip additions and improvements, etc.

GAMEPLAY

Fixed an issue that caused workers building improvements to constantly "wake up" when hostile units were not close by.
    Hun Battering Ram promotions which allows only city attacks are now lost upon upgrade.
    Fix an issue where the plot under a city would not be worked after trading/gifting it.
    Crabs should no longer spawn in lakes.
    Many additional subtle updates to tool-tips, and information exposed to players.

IN-GAME ART/SOUNDS

New Forest and Jungle art for all terrain types.
    New Road and Railroad art.
    Touched up color on various terrain pieces, as well as some of the texture transitions.
    Fix Rock of Gibralter national wonder so that it's surrounding terrain displays properly (there may still be rare cases where this can still occur).
    Reduced texture sized on many models in-game (buildings, improvements, some leaders, etc.).
    Added missing "Selection" sound entries for some base game units.

AI

Military: More aggressive AI city attacks.
    Military: Refine larger unit formations, and adjust the AI to use these against City-States if appropriate.
    Military: Make Great Generals more aware of danger nearby.
    Military: The AI will now prioritize capturing original capitals and cities that were originally theirs.

UI

UI will now change based on the DLL that is active (base game, Gods and Kings, or Brave New World).
    New Declare War Pop-up that includes an overview of all connected events (like trades that will be cancelled, City-State allies, etc.)
    New Single-Player leaderboards for main game, scenarios, DLC, and mods. To add leaderboards to a mod, add the "SupportsLeaderboards" property to its mod properties.
    Added a pop-up that tells the user that the game data is changing when DLC/Scenarios are activated/deactivated.
    Maintenance-free units are now properly tracked in the Economic Overview.
    Planes and Nukes are now considered Military Units in the Unit overview.
    Fixed issues with the city Garrison ring not displaying correctly.
    Natural Wonders that create Happiness will now display the yield properly in the plot tool-tip.
    Fix some issues that would cause the terrain yield icons to be incorrect, or sometimes missing.
    Religion: Fixed a bug where unknown civs would be revealed (via Icon) in the Religion Overview.
    Add in a player option called "Quick Selection Advance" which will have the auto-unit-selection advance to the next unit without waiting for the animation to complete.
    When the active player's turn starts, make sure all their city range strike icons are correct.
    Multiple general fixes and improvements to touch-screen functionality.
    Replay graphs are now much more accurate.
    Planes and Nukes are now considered military units in the overview.
    Fixed a bug in which units were not properly sorted by name in the military overview.
    Correct some issues that would cause unit icons to disappear.
    Multiple subtle UI improvements throughout the game.

MODS AND STEAM WORKSHOP

Fixed an issue that would cause some mods to download over and over from Steam Workshop.
    Changed the way the mod database is built so that the mod library is managed correctly.
    Fixed an issue with World Builder which could cause it not to launch properly on some users computers.
  • Woo! No more crabs in lakes!
  • Oh shit custom multiplayer maps. Finally my plans for European domination can finally come to fruition, and all my friends will serve under my glorious rule.
  • It begins. I only have base Civ V. What do I need to buy besides Brave New World? Come on Steam sale!
  • It begins. I only have base Civ V. What do I need to buy besides Brave New World? Come on Steam sale!
    Gods and Kings. It really adds quite a bit to the gameplay.