This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Civilization V

Comments

• Post-PAX-AUS, we're getting this ON!
  • I'm really bad at Civ, so I won't play with you guys, I imagine. I'm just awful. I struggle on Prince (difficulty 4 of 9).
  • I'm really bad at Civ, so I won't play with you guys, I imagine. I'm just awful. I struggle on Prince (difficulty 4 of 9).
    I am the same way but there is only one way to improve, play with people who know what they are doing.
  • edited July 2013
    That's probably fine Axel, the skills that help you against the computer are DEFINITELY not the same as in multiplayer. You play the game nearly completely different when you are playing with "irrational" actors like Humans. You might have the best single player strat in the world but you'll be rolled by a human player on turn 40.

Personally I never play the game on single player much past the part where the computer starts cheating. Which I believe is past Prince.

Also most of us haven't touched Civ V in something like 2 years!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Kay. Well, I might get in on it, though I have way more time than everyone else bound to be playing and will likely be waiting around a bit. XD
  • I would just upgrade to Civ5 Gold Edition and then purchase Brave New World. Most of the best science civs such as Korea and Babylon are DLC.
  • What was Gold Edition? I just have vanilla plus G+K.
  • edited July 2013
    Sid Meier's Civilization® V, Sid Meier’s Civilization® V: Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II), Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Mediterranean, Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Asia, Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Americas, Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Mesopotamia, Double Civilization and Scenario Pack: Spain and Inca , Civilization and Scenario Pack: Polynesia, Civilization and Scenario Pack: Denmark - The Vikings, Civilization V: Explorer’s Map Pack, Civilization V - Civilization and Scenario Pack: Korea, Civilization V - Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario Pack, Sid Meier's Civilization V - Gods and Kings
    You can upgrade for $20, although it was a better deal when it was $5 a couple weeks ago.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'm sure it will be cheap again in dat Steam sale.
  • Wasn't the cradle of civilization stuff just maps and scenarios?
  • Wasn't the cradle of civilization stuff just maps and scenarios?
    Yeah...that's just Gold Edition, which you asked.
  • So, I'm hearing word that you need declaration of friendship to trade money with an AI. This is huge for any play above King that depends heavily on selling extra lux early on to rapid expand.
  • Wow, that's a game-changer.
  • Between this and their new cultural victory, I'm convinced that this would better be named the "fuck all of Greg's strategies" expansion.
  • I think that was the point. They're trying to make things more balanced, and I can understand why. Previously, Cultural victories, while not easy, were simple: Grind lots of culture points. There are easy and defined ways to do this, and it can hardly be called a strategy.
  • Multiplayer strategy is convince everyone you are going for a culture victory while making a billion military units and surprise attack.

Oh man, I miss Civ IV multiplayer... There was some epic games with horrible backstabbing. Also putting Rym and I next to each other leads to a tense border war that doesn't benefit either of us.
  • Also putting Rym and I next to each other leads to a tense border war that doesn't benefit either of us.
    Hey, if you'd just moved that spearman out of those mountains near my border, I would have moved my horsemen out of the forest next to those mountains...

• Chances are both the Steam sale and the sale that will happen for Gods & Kings will have everything "important" (i.e. all the DLC civs) on sale for a couple dollars. I'm looking forward to this.
  • I think that was the point. They're trying to make things more balanced, and I can understand why. Previously, Cultural victories, while not easy, were simple: Grind lots of culture points. There are easy and defined ways to do this, and it can hardly be called a strategy.
    Yeah, but the scientific victory was the same way, just with slightly more production necessary.
  • There was more fenagling, though. Getting all the parts and building the thing. It wasn't just blindly spending points to then build a single wonder.
  • I've been playing a mod as Celestia of Equestria. Let me tell you 20% less unhappiness from number of citizens is powerful shit.
  • There was more fenagling, though. Getting all the parts and building the thing. It wasn't just blindly spending points to then build a single wonder.
    But not any more mental capability. It's just "move the dudes to the Capitol." At least with cultural victory, the cost of new policies increased with the number of cities, so you had to balance conservation and steak in the world stage. With science, it's just "expand and build, expand and build, repeat ad infinatum."
  • Mebbeh.
  • I always found the best culture victories were the aggressive ones as the aztecs. Puppet states, not sure if they currently do or not did not increase the culture cost of policies. At least that way you get to war your way to a cultural victory. I found it was a little better when playing single player at least because the last stages of conquest can be a little grindy on some maps.
  • Puppets don't increase culture costs, but it's hit or miss if they'll build culture buildings.
  • I wish they would make BNW available to modders before it got released to the public so that when everyone gets it, the mods would already be compatable.
  • Puppets don't increase culture costs, but it's hit or miss if they'll build culture buildings.
    The main reason that going on the offensive and getting puppets is alright, is that the puppets help you maintain a strong science rating.

Anyway brave new world is making a lot of changes. Civ is getting another level of complexity now. The new trade route system is reminiscent of supply crawlers from Alpha Centauri. AI changes are also coming. Anyone else stoked?
  • edited July 2013
    So stoked.

I can't decide whether my first game is going to be as the Venetians or Shoshone.

edit: Although, cool as they are, I kinda wish we could've gotten Canada or Australia instead of yet another Native American or European Civ, of which we already have plenty. At least we're getting Brazil, I suppose.
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • I'm still waiting for the Shawnee civ, lead by Tecumseh.
  • What do the Shawnee have that can measure up to Australia's famed spider cavalry?

(But seriously, I'm curious. I remember you mentioning Tecumseh in the History/Science fact thread! What would you give the Shawnee Civ5-wise?)