This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Civilization V

Comments

• UA: Language of Commerce [Shawnee was the langua franca for trade in North America for much of the 17th and 18th centuries]: Gold yield from Trading Posts improved by one.

UW (unique wonder): Black Bob Reserve [This is a reference to the Indian Territory in Spanish Texas. The Spaniards gave the Shawnee reparations upon them being forced there by General Jackson]: When the Shawnee lose a city, they gain a small amount of influence with city states.

UU:Red Sticks [Who were technically Creek, but were allies with the Shawnee and lead by Tecumseh]: Replaces musketmen. +50% combat strength in friendly territory

This is just off the top of my head. It's probably totally unbalanced in practice.
  • It's unbalanced in terms of non-unified strategy. High-defense in their own territory with bonuses if they lose a city? You'll reap the benefits of one or the other, but never both.
  • The trade post bonus would be really strong. I side with Axel here, unique wonder seems pretty silly. When would you even build it? If you are going to be losing cities enough for it to matter then you are going to be unable to build a wonder. If it is earlier then I would almost always go economy snowball and all that.
  • That's a good point.

UU: Migrant Settlers [The Shawnee were known for being a very wide nation, but very thin. Their territory stretched from New York to Ohio and as far south as Georgia]: Replaces settlers. Moves 4 instead of 2.

This way, they can make a huge empire early game, and purposefully lose it later to gain influence.
  • UU is very good. Losing cities is a bad deal for your people no matter what. If you wanted you could give them a unique early market that replicates that advantage. Since trade routes are in the game now with brave new worlds, how about; if an opponent takes a city that you have a trade route you gain influence with city states. So a market you could use to boost trade routes and then have a trade route provide bonuses when people are attacking your allies or city states you want to control in addition to yourself. Actually worth building.
  • It's out ^_^
  • I will play after camp in two weeks. Laptop is too poop. :/
  • I shall join the festivities after CT and ConBravo are done, will buy if on steam sale.
  • You will probably have to wait at least a couple of months then.
  • I have to see how well Civ V works on my laptop. If it works well enough... buying before I fly to Australia. Otherwise, buying after I come back from Australia.
  • HOLY CRAP GUYS, THIS IS GAME CHANGING:

Also, there's an interesting tweak they made to the science system, but nowhere near as ground breaking.
  • The science tweak is very good, IMO. It prevents a late game beat down of military powers also getting massive science bumps. It's something they've needed to take action on and I'm glad they did. That 5% is going to hurt in the Modern Era.

Also, LULZ

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/XCOM_Squad_(Civ5)
  • I fullheartedly agree. I was worried that Science Victory would be OP with BNW (I played two games with it over the past few days, and it was OP even just with G+K, not even getting into how BNW nukes the Culture Victory). Glad to see they're looking out for that.
  • After looking over the content added in passing, I think my first Expac civ run will be Morocco. I want to give the trade route system a go!
  • I have to see how well Civ V works on my laptop. If it works well enough... buying before I fly to Australia. Otherwise, buying after I come back from Australia.
    I have a pre-Sandy Bridge i5 with integrated graphics, and it runs fine. Unless your laptop is significantly worse than mine, it'll run just fine.
  • That science tweak is a pretty good reason to run tall instead of wide. There was a reviewer complaining about ICS(Infinite City Sprawl). Civ 5 makes ICS an actual choice, with the recent changes I am not sure about starting liberty in civs that do not want to REX(Rapid Expansion). Also piety changes look interesting. Might try a trade route focused civ that will eventually move into a cultural victory with a faith component to use it offensively.
  • Culture penalty per city got decreased however.
  • I am clearly way behind on this game. Going to suck ass if/when I get back into it.
  • edited July 2013
    Gonna roll Morocco when I get back home. Rush Petra and Desert Folklore. OP as fuck.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Yeah, that is cool but, because there is not really tech trading, unless you have a way to catch up tech is much more valuable. With the new tourism changes I am not sure how lacking culture will be effected. In the previous versions of the game you could just start liberty, then eventually go up the left side of rationalism for some tech boosts. You did not really need anything from social policies.
  • I'm usually fine rolling a standard 3-city Tradition opening. By the time I hit my seventh social policy, I should be timed perfectly to unlock rationalism and go down that tree.
  • Gonna roll Morocco when I get back home. Rush Petra and Desert Folklore. OP as fuck.
    You don't even know OP until you play Shoshone. Started a new game, going for the new cultural victory, I have read none of the tutorials, and am playing on one diffuclty higher than I normally play on, and I still have a 150 vp lead on everyone. Eclipsed everyone in research. This is just with the expanded starting land for cities. I haven't had to use the combat bonus or anything yet.
  • Gonna roll Morocco when I get back home. Rush Petra and Desert Folklore. OP as fuck.
    Pretty much what I did but since I had to make two military units early to beat back the barbarians my religion was slow in starting and desert folklore was gone. Made since there were only about 7 desert hexes in my early scouting sight.

• What did you open with the Shoshone?

I'm usually fine rolling a standard 3-city Tradition opening. By the time I hit my seventh social policy, I should be timed perfectly to unlock rationalism and go down that tree.
    Not knowing anything about the game, this type of talk sounds hilarious.
  • Had a chance to roll Alexander at my camp's computers. I like the trade routes, interested to see where the new culture victory will go. Policies are earned faster, but no longer the direct means to victory. Also, looks like they took advice the mod that provided religious schisms (possibly also the icons themselves) and split Christianity into Catholicism, Orthodoxy, and Protestantism. I'm just happy to have more symbols to choose from.
  • I'm just happy to have more hats to choose from.
    FTFY.
  • I also support Alex's enjoyment in hat expansion. Too many times I would be second to found a religion, and instead of Anabaptism I would found Church of the Children of the Atom or something else because I couldn't get a cross symbol. Not a problem anymore.
  • Gabenism is the one true religion.
  • Actually, how is it that there's no One True God mod yet?