This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ChatRoulette

2»

Comments

• edited February 2010
    I once had an English teacher who, in her youth, was vegetarian but, her dad convinced her that black pudding was soy based.
    Dohohoho.

I love morcilla. It's a Spanish blood sausage made by putting lots of blood and rendered fat (so it fries REALLY well) into a casing with lots of rice and onions, maybe a bit of salt. Sometimes it has pine nuts or almonds, and each sausage's recipe and taste varies by region and vendor. You fry it up in a pan, slice it, and eat it in thick disks. It's so good; it's often really rich with this huge range of flavors accented by all the blood.

I am often saddened by the general lack of good blood sausage in America.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I think it's interesting that considering the large population of Filipino kids I classed with in my old grade school, I never got any exposure to balut or dinuguan. Balut, I can understand not seeing, but dinuguan isn't terribly obvious as to what's in it. My interest is piqued now though.
  • Along with some friends, I had a 1 hour 45 minute conversation with a guy in Turkey. And then a 50 minute conversation with some college kids in Norway.

Sometimes you can get good things from ChatRoulette.
  • Along with some friends, I had a 1 hour 45 minute conversation with a guy in Turkey. And then a 50 minute conversation with some college kids in Norway.

Lucky! Not a single person actually tried to have intelligent conversation with me in almost 30 minutes.
  • I once had an English teacher who, in her youth, was vegetarian but, her dad convinced her that black pudding was soy based.
    That's super fucked up. There are very few things that I would physically attack someone for, but I'm pretty sure that's one of them.

Lucky! Not a single person actually tried to have intelligent conversation with me in almost 30 minutes.
    I think the key was that we had 5 people on our end. Although it's anecdotal, I've been able to talk to more people at greater length when I've had more diversity and numbers (other friends) on my end. Then again, maybe it was just the time of day (Saturday night in NYC).
  • I did tell mydinuguan story.
    Haha, I had a very similar experience when I was a kid, so I completely understand your sentiments! I ended up growing a palette to it, though, now that I'm my age.

How do you feel about Kare-kare?
  • How do you feel about Kare-kare?
    I have no problem with that. As long as the bagoong isn't too strong. I mostly go for the chicken adobo. Chicken wings only with lots of juice for mah rice.
  • I mostly go for the chicken adobo
    Adobo is yummy, but the last time I got it from a restaurant I think I got food poisoning. My roommate and I used to eat a lot of milkfish, and cha.
  • edited February 2010
    My friend and I had two conversations. It's all about how you pitch yourself, and there's definitely a "strength in numbers" factor. You just need a unique introduction. Try to avoid saying something awkward like "Sup?" for as long as possible (we would just stare at the person and eventually put on some jazz song he had).

One guy was a transfer student studying in Vienna who didn't know any German and confessed he was just happy to speak English with someone.

The other was a wangsta who would call us fags through the textbox despite wearing a headset with a microphone. We eventually pieced together by the environment he was in that he lived with his mother and was worried about cursing in front of her. He started typing in all caps and looking genuinely pissed, and then he left.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • edited February 2010
    My friends and I played ChatRoulette for around an hour and our score was 13 dicks and 2 nice chats (one with a girl from Liverpool, and another with 2 girls and a guy from Paris).

EDIT: I forgot about the racist guy. Two of the people I was playing with were black, so racist slurs were going all over the place when we got the racist guy.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I fucking love Chat Roulette. I've seen girls stripping, had great conversations with people, gotten girls facebook pages (who were randomly the exact same age as me). Getting on CR while inebriated is quite amusing.
  • [Penny Arcade Comic]
    I totally want to try that (sans penii), but I can't get Chatroulette working. Is it not working for anyone else?
  • Chatroulette drinking game:

1. If it's a penis, take a drink.
    2. If it's boobs, take two drinks.
    3. If it's vagina, finish the drink.
    4. If it's someone doing something awesome (had a guy in a scream mask ask me if I liked scary movies), everyone cheers wildly and takes a drink.
  • edited February 2010
    5. If it's your mom, put your penis back in. Unless you're into that...
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • Don't worry, I'm sure your mom has seen plenty of penis.
  • Jon Stewart of "The Daily Show" said it best. Like many sites on the Internet it will become the repository of five percent curiosity seekers and ninety-five percent dongs.
  • So I did a report on ChatRoulette with a colleague, and we were mentioned in the NYT.

Strangers in the Net, Exchanging Glances
  • It's amazing how the NYT article doesn't include a link to the chat roulette site.
  • It's amazing how the NYT article doesn't include a link to the chat roulette site.
    I think they wrote an earlier article that did. So obviously everyone's read it and therefore knows the URL by now.
  • edited March 2010
    It's amazing how the NYT article doesn't include a link to the chat roulette site.
    I think they wrote an earlier article that did. Soobviouslyeveryone's read it and therefore knows the URL by now.
    I think they just don't want to have a link from the NYT directly to potential penises. Imagine the grandma reading the paper, clicking a link, and seeing a ding dong. She'll never read the NYT again. Or maybe depending on the grandma, she'll read it more.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I feel so far behind the trend. I can feel the passive peer pressure of hipsterness tugging me. Will my laziness win, or will I be a trendwhore? mental edit; gf comes over tonight with a webcam on her laptop.
  • Or maybe depending on the grandma, she'll read it more.
    imageimage
  • I feel so far behind the trend. I can feel the passive peer pressure of hipsterness tugging me. Will my laziness win, or will I be a trendwhore? mental edit; gf comes over tonight with a webcam on her laptop.
    See this is why it's so easy for me to avoid this crap. No webcam. And I intend to keep it that way.
  • Granted, we always can be more productive, and I assume this is a large chunk of bandwidth being eaten up, but come on. It looks fun. Especially while inebriated.
  • edited April 2010
    Played around with it tonight, with no webcam and Mastodon feeding into the speakers. Ran into three people I knew; playing "[First Name]?" without a visible face is always fun.

EDIT: People who don't like Mastodon got me blocked. I am never returning to Chatroulette.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on