This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Xbox Live Aracade to get Settlers of Catan & other Euro board games

Comments

• Yeah, it should be really interesting to see those on XLA. I just downloaded a Texas Hold'em game that they are giving away for free until friday, then you have to pay for it.

I think that XLA is my favorite part about my 360.
  • edited August 2006
    That pretty awesome cause I have wanted to play those games since I started to listen to GeekNights and XLA is great for all arcade games.
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • I'll at least download the demos to see if they are good enough to buy and play with my friends.
  • That sounds fun in general, but I don't think I'd want to play Settler's if I was limited to only trading resources I currently possessed, which I assume is all the designers will be implamenting. Without bargaining for expansion spots, various sorts of future production, future port usage, etc Settler's would be way too humdrum for an experienced player.
  • That sounds fun in general, but I don't think I'd want to play Settler's if I was limited to only trading resources I currently possessed, which I assume is all the designers will be implamenting. Without bargaining for expansion spots, various sorts of future production, future port usage, etc Settler's would be way too humdrum for an experienced player.
    Wow, you play weird. None of that stuff is in the rules. In fact, I would argue that being able to bargain for those sorts of things breaks the game. But do whatever you want. Anyway, I suggest if you really want a heavy bargaining game you should play Traders of Genoa.
  • edited August 2006
    The group I played with used a lot of varient rules to reduce the randomness to reasonable levels too. We basically allowed pretty much anything at all to be promised in negotiations, randomized the numbers in addition to the tiles, didn't count 7s in the first two turns, and some other stuff. I'm not sure how it breaks the game, the biggest problem with unmodded Settlers is that the outcome is usually too random, and being able to buy and sell futures lets you spread risk (the same way financers do in real life) and makes the game more a matter of skill. I'm not actually sure if being able to trade things other than cards is against the rules, it was hallowed tradition in my dorm long before I arrived (though I'm proud to say that I pioneered the frequent use of futures trading, in fact we call "the next two resources I produce" a Standard Andrew Soul).

I'd actually never heard of Traders of Genoa before you mentioned it there, but it does sound interesting. The next strategy game I'll be picking up is probably City of Brass, but maybe some time in the future I'll grab it.
    Post edited by Symmetry on