This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

edited February 2010 in Everything Else
So, I'm basically making this thread because I'm watching it right now and I assume that others have watched it. Try to keep the spoilers in white text for now, pls.

I'm about 1.5 seasons through the grueling 7 season trek. It's starting to get more interesting.

Comments

• I'm about 1.5 seasons through the grueling 7 season trek. It's starting to get more interesting.
    Halfway through season 2 is pretty much where I've always thought it started to get good. It ramps up pretty quickly from there -- most of the painfully cheesy stuff is out of the way (though there's always a healthy dose of cheese) and the characters and their relationships are starting to really develop. I think that's also where it starts to shift from pure monster-of-the-week to more long-running plots. You're in for some good stuff.
  • I liked buffy for about the 1st 4 seasons but found myself switching to angel. These were great shows but I don't see them standing up to the test of time such as like a seinfeld or firefly.
  • I liked buffy for about the 1st 4 seasons but found myself switching to angel.
    That's funny -- I was glad when Angel came around, because it was a place for them to stick all the characters I didn't like.
  • I think that's also where it starts to shift from pure monster-of-the-week to more long-running plots.
    It's like night and day, and it switches almost within the course of one episode. I was like "Where did this come from?"

Also, I like how Drusilla talks EXACTLY the same as River. Silly Joss Whedon.
  • It's like night and day, and it switches almost within the course of one episode. I was like "Where didthiscome from?"
    What are you talking about, specifically? Which episode?
  • edited February 2010
    What are you talking about, specifically? Which episode?
    I'm thinking of the episode where her friend from elementary school comes and ends up trying to trade her in exchanged for becoming a vampire. Then you find out he has a brain tumor and that he only wants to become a vampire so that he can keep living. That moment sticks out for me as the dividing line between the monster-of-the-week and the deeper, character-probing stuff. All the episodes before it are completely black and white, but here all of a sudden there's a much more complex decision involved.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Okay. Yeah, I see what you mean. That's still not up to the point that I feel like it really takes off. I think s2e14 is the dividing line for me.
  • I'm a huge fan of Buffy and Angel I'm currently showing Laura it very slowly we are on season 6 of Buffy and 2 of Angel.
  • I liked buffy for about the 1st 4 seasons but found myself switching to angel.
    That's funny -- I was glad when Angel came around, because it was a place for them to stick all the characters I didn't like.
    Funnily enough, I felt the exact same way with Angel at first. Looking back on Buffy and Angel now, I think I'm more of an Angel guy. I like the character progression better in it, and I much prefer the somewhat darker tone.
  • @ Funfetus - Did you watch angel?

I do agree they put the lesser character in angel but somehow I start enjoying angel more and more. I felt the writing for angel in the beginning was freer as compared to the buffy plot baggage which had slowly built up. Angel in my opinion did suffer the same fate but it was a nice ride.
  • @ Funfetus - Did you watch angel?
    Never did. Watched the first episode, and just didn't feel like I could do it. I've always planned to get back to it eventually.
  • Started the third season. Things are getting trippy.
  • I'm about half way through season 4 of Buffy and I just got through the first four episodes of Angel. I'm trying to catch up to the point where I can watch the two shows side-by-side since they overlap. I like Angel so far, but it makes me miss the other characters a lot too.
  • I gotta get around to Angel some time.
  • Laura and I are working through Buffy and Angel (her first time, my Third). The show still holds up for me. We are currently in season 6 of Buffy and sorta behind on Angel (still in Season 2).. It's weird to think how old that show is now..
  • Season 1 is riddled with hilarious 90s slang.
  • Season 1 is riddled with hilarious 90s slang.
    There is a good reason that dialogue best described as "A very realistic sounding version of What people think teenagers talk like" is pretty much all but officially named "Buffyspeak".
  • I think it was an episode of Around Comics where the thirty-something hosts informed the teenage guest host that if he was planning on watching Buffy, he should do it soon, because it's "rapidly dating". There are definitely some cringeworthy elements of the show, but at it's core, it's gold.
  • Honestly, that's the only part of the show that ever felt dated for me. And that only lasted through the first season or so.
  • Three episodes in and season 6 is really really heavy and dark so far. Completely different mood from the previous seasons.
  • Oh you don't know the half of it Sail, I'm watching Buffy with Laura and we are half way through season 6 and I'm like "It only gets darker from here". This is Joss Whedon, NOONE CAN EVER BE HAPPY.
  • Me and Andrew watched all of Buffy on Netflix a couple years ago (back when it wasn't instant). I felt such an emptiness when it was all over... *sniffle*

I just started watching Angel again, man the 3rd season is so messed up and awesome. I think I like Angel more than Buffy- its more mature, dramatic, and demented, but still campy enough for entertainment.
  • Honestly, that's the only part of the show that ever felt dated for me. And that only lasted through the first season or so.
    How did you feel about "The Body" (s05e16)? That was probably the roughest 40 minutes of television I've ever seen.
  • How did you feel about "The Body" (s05e16)?
    Yea, I don't think I've ever made it through that eps without being reduced to tears at least 5 times.
  • edited April 2010
    Yea, I don't think I've ever made it through that eps without being reduced to tears at least 5 times.
    Seriously. It gets me every single time. It's painfully realistic.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • That episode was masterfully directed. And yes, really painful and realistic.
  • edited April 2010
    Did Netflix only recently put Buffy on instant play? I've been watching it through the mail and now I'm terribly distracted watching season 6 instantly. I have only one thing to say to you all, let's watch it, Once More, With Feeling
    Post edited by ladyobsolete on
  • edited April 2010
    Did Netflix only recently put Buffy on instant play? I've been watching it through the mail and now I'm terribly distracted watching season 6 instantly. I have only one thing to say to you all, let's watch it,Once More, With Feeling
    Probably. Firefly and Dr. Horrible just went up; I think they netted a lot of Whedon shows.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Season 6 done. Whoa.
  • edited April 2010
    Did Netflix only recently put Buffy on instant play? I've been watching it through the mail and now I'm terribly distracted watching season 6 instantly. I have only one thing to say to you all, let's watch it,Once More, With Feeling
    Probably. Firefly and Dr. Horrible just went up; I think they netted a lot of Whedon shows.
    Hell yes! Something awesome to occupy my time with. Rewatching Firefly for the win. (I think I've watched it twice, but that's not enough).

EDIT: I'd forgotten how goddamn awesome Firefly is.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on