This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Comments

• The wierd thing is that The most popular star to come out of firefly isn't Nathan Fillion - but is in fact Zach Effron. His screen Debut was in Two episodes of Firefly, playing young Simon Tam.
  • edited April 2010
    Has anyone read the Buffy comics? There's an arc written by Brian K Vaughan, which makes me really want to check it out.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Buffy Season 8 is really good, because unlike the firefly mini-series comics they are not rushed into two or three eps.
  • Just finished the main series. Man, what a spectacular show.
  • Re-watching the Ben and Glory arc in season 5 with my roommate, who has never seen it before. Man, what a spectacular show.
  • Just finished the main series. Man, what a spectacular show.
    Really glad to hear it. Strangely, I feel like I had a lot invested in your liking this show. I've been trying to keep up with you, rewatching it, and I was going along pretty well, but I slowed down, and I'm only toward the end of season 6. (I recently discovered that I actually work better if I don't try to watch TV at the same time.)
  • Strangely, I feel like I had a lot invested in your liking this show.
    That's not that strange. It's like, an affirmation that what you enjoyed a while ago really is as good as you remember. I have the same worry whenever I show things to people, the worry that it's not as great as I remembered or that my feelings for it are colored by fond memories.

And that's kind of impressive that you managed to keep up with me watching it, considering that there were days where I would just sit down and watch seven episodes in a row :P
  • edited April 2010
    That's not that strange. It's like, an affirmation that what you enjoyed a while ago really is as good as you remember. I have the same worry whenever I show things to people, the worry that it's not as great as I remembered or that my feelings for it are colored by fond memories.
    And that's kind of impressive that you managed to keep up with me watching it, considering that there were days where I would just sit down and watch seven episodes in a row :P
    Yeah, you're totally right about that. I also think it's partially that I don't want to encourage you to check something out, then you don't like it, and you feel like you wasted your time. Also, I've probably watched seven episodes in a row a few times lately too -- I've got all day sitting here drawing to listen to/watch stuff.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I just started watching Firefly for the first time.

Oh. My. Fucking. God.

This show is so fucking good I am ashamed that I wasn't into Joss Whedon when it first aired. It is one of the best pieces of television I have ever seen.
  • I cite Firefly as the best television show I have ever seen.
  • Vs. Buffy, I think Firefly was clearly the better show -- but it doesn't connect with me emotionally the same way Buffy did. I think it's entirely down to the length of the run -- with Buffy, we got seven seasons to fall in love with those characters. It's amazing to think of what Firefly would've been if it had had even half that time.
  • I just started watching Angel again, man the 3rd season is so messed up and awesome. I think I like Angel more than Buffy- its more mature, dramatic, and demented, but still campy enough for entertainment.
    That's actually a great way to put it. Freaking love Angel. I've watched it through 5 times, as opposed to Buffy's 2.
  • On a side note, yesterday I was talking to my dad, who worked on season 4, about Buffy and he brought up the episode "Hush". You know how the monsters in that episode appear to levitate ~2 feet off the ground as they drift along the street? Turns out that wasn't an effect; they literally had these actors attached to cranes in order to make them float.
  • I just started watching Firefly for the first time.

Oh. My. Fucking. God.

This show is so fucking good I am ashamed that I wasn't into Joss Whedon when it first aired. It is one of the best pieces of television I have everseen.
    You're a fool for not having seen it earlier.
    Jaynestown and Heart of Gold, fuck yeah!
  • edited May 2010
    You're a fool for not having seen it earlier.
    Hey now. Heaven forbid I was so busy in high school that I couldn't just consume media non-stop.

I'm moving onto Buffy after this.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2010
    I cite Firefly asthebest television show I have ever seen.
    I would place several shows above Firefly:

Boston Legal
    Arrested Development
    The West Wing
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Batman: The Animated Series
    The X-Files
    Rescue Me
    True Blood
    Futurama
    Battlestar Galactica
    Californication
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Arrested Development
    I watched that to completion right before waching Firefly. Fucking awesome finale.
  • It' s hard to compare a show that has 13 great eps only with a show with 5-10 seasons with lots of crappy eps surrounded by great ones.
  • You guys forgot The Wire.
  • I'm watching the Jaynestown episode right now.

This is AWESOME. Although my heart drops every time Simon accidentally hurts Kaylee's feelings. She's too adorable for that.
  • edited May 2010
    To repeat my earlier post:
    Jaynestown and Heart of Gold, fuck yeah!
    Probably my two favourite episodes, those.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Heart of Gold, fuck yeah!
    Oh mans, Heart of Gold is parliament.
  • I knew you had taste.
  • OK. I finished Firefly and am moving onto Buffy. That shit was REAL.
  • I finished Firefly and am moving onto Buffy.

It gets better, I promise. :)
  • Posted By: Funfetus...

It gets better, I promise. :)
    Yeah, I'm just MST3K'ing the episodes until it gets going.
  • Yeah, I'm just MST3K'ing the episodes until it gets going.
    Watch carefully enough, and you can pick up plot points from seasons that come much, much later - for example, If I remember right, You're given clues about Buffy's sister in season 2(and onwards), and doesn't enter the series until Season Five or so. That show was CRAZY planned out.
  • Watch carefully enough, and you can pick up plot points from seasons that come much, much later - for example, If I remember right, You're given clues about Buffy's sister in season 2(and onwards), and doesn't enter the series until Season Five or so. That show was CRAZY planned out.
    Will do. I'm only at S1E04, but I'll keep an eye out.
  • That show was CRAZY planned out.
    I always wonder (with lots of stuff, not just Buffy) if it was really that planned out, or it was more like "hey, that throwaway thing we did four seasons ago -- I know something we can do with that."
  • I always wonder (with lots of stuff, not just Buffy) if it was really that planned out, or it was more like "hey, that throwaway thing we did four seasons ago -- I know something we can do withthat."
    So, Like a LOST sort of situation?

Nah, I'm pretty sure Joss has a reputation for planning things out to crazy lengths in his shows.