This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Comments

• Wait, what in season 2 hints at Dawn?
  • Wait, what in season 2 hints at Dawn?
    Like I said, if I remember correctly - but I'm reasonably sure it's season 2. It's a number of dreams in the episodes before she confronts "The Mayor" - later, but still in season 2(Or extremely early season three), someone other than buffy has a dream in the room that will be Dawn's, and says "Little sis coming, I know.", to which Buffy replied, "So much to do before she gets here." - there is a further dream-clue in season three, that also gives clues to the appearance of ANOTHER character, who appears in season four for the first time.
  • Oh wow, I remember that. It didn't even register.
  • I feel like the best 13 episodes of Buffy would hold up pretty well against Firefly. It's just that Firefly never had a chance to make any crappy filler episodes.
  • edited May 2010
    Quite likely. Any show with enough seasons is bound to collect some great episodes. However, do you need to watch all of Buffy to get the full experience out of those best 13 episodes? If so, then you can't really judge the show by the quality of the best episodes alone.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Yeah, but the full Firefly experience is "whoa, that's neat... WOW, that's AWESOME!... HOLY SHIT!... wait, what do you mean, 'cancelled?'... WHY GOD WHY?"

It's just a cock tease. At least we got Serenity to wrap up SOME of the plot.
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah, but the full Firefly experience is "whoa, that's neat... WOW, that's AWESOME!... HOLY SHIT!... wait, what do you mean, 'cancelled?'... WHY GOD WHY?"
    But the difference is that, although I was still yearning for more Firefly, it was so good it COULD end with just a movie. It was just sheer excellence from start to finish, and maybe someday we'll get a second movie.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • However, do you need to watch all of Buffy to get the full experience out of those best 13 episodes? I
    You definitely do. Buffy is a slow burn. A lot of the greatest episodes and moments are based mostly around the issues and relationships that have built up over the seasons. It's maybe both a strength and a weakness. Firefly is definitely higher quality overall, but it's because of Buffy's scope and depth of characters and relationships that it takes up more space in my heart. If Firefly had been allowed to run its course, I can imagine it probably would have eclipsed Buffy in that regard. It super sucks that we'll never get to find out.
  • So, Buffy reboot. Minus Joss Whedon. His response. Now we can never speak of it again.

I've made plans to marathon the series with four other friends over winter break, two of which haven't seen it before. Looking forward very much to rewatching it.
  • I've made plans to marathon the series with four other friends over winter break, two of which haven't seen it before. Looking forward very much to rewatching it.
    I should do that over break myself. I've only seen the first three episodes.
  • I've only seen the first three episodes.
    That's probably why you stopped watching it.
  • Oh, I forgot Buffy existed. Should I watch it?
  • I've only seen the first three episodes.
    That's probably why you stopped watching it.
    Yeah, probably.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh, I forgot Buffy existed. Should I watch it?
    Yes, but keep in mind that you basically have to suffer through the first two seasons. Actually, I should make a list of something of all the skippable episodes for people wanting to get into the series, because that would cut down much of the lame-ass first season and a boring ones from the second season.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Yes, but keep in mind that you basically have to suffer through the first two seasons
    waaa.. the second season is pretty good.
  • Yes, but keep in mind that you basically have to suffer through the first two seasons
    waaa.. the second season is pretty good.
    Maybe the second half is, but even then, it's really not compared to season 3.
  • it's really not compared to season 3.
    Well yea 3rd and 4th are awesome.. but saying that the second is skip able is selling it short.
  • Is it worse than, say, the first 2 seasons of Star Trek TNG?
  • I've been meaning to watch Buffy for years now, and am finally getting around to it. I've been watching almost nothing but that show for a few weeks and am currently about halfway through season 6 (episode 16ish?). I dunno if I can make it all the way. I'm trying, but it's hard.
  • I've been meaning to watch Buffy foryearsnow, and am finally getting around to it. I've been watching almost nothing but that show for a few weeks and am currently about halfway through season 6 (episode 16ish?). I dunno if I can make it all the way. I'm trying, but it's hard.
    If you are not enjoying it, then don't watch it.
  • But the sunk cost phallus will get me if I stop now. =( Really, it's not that I'm not enjoying it. It's an okay show. I watch it primarily in a small window of Media Player Classic that's pinned to the foreground while I do other stuff. I like having a show there, and the best qualities for that kind of show are 1) being too fucking long, 2) not being good enough that I want to put my full attention on it, and 3) being lighthearted and relatively shallow. Before Buffy, it was Dragonball non-Z (which I actually found a lot more entertaining than Dragonball Z - I can't believe I never watched it before), and before that it was Rurouni Kenshin and before that it was Xiaolin Showdown. I guess what makes Buffy start to be painful for me after a while is that it started out campy and cute and fun like those other shows, but then it had to try to be dark and serious and deep but it sucks at that. It's failing to be adequate material for my side-show, and I don't think it will be worth it to sit down and watch it as an activity on its own. Which makes me sad because I dunno what to replace it with. I thought I had another 8-9 gigs of show left to make a decision. Is the Yugioh with the motorcycles bad enough that it swings back to hilarious? I might try that.
  • Ah I see, it's a show stuck in the "I want to watch this while doing something else and I want to watch this without doing something else area" that makes it hard. The other funny thing is I like the show in exactly the opposite way you do I like the dark and serious (with humor thrown in) and think that the overtly campy stuff falls flat.
  • I like the dark and serious (with humor thrown in) and think that the overtly campy stuff falls flat.
    I think most people who like Buffy think this.
  • The apocalyptic tone the series took on near the end may have been overdone -- and I honestly was never able to get too interested in all the magical, monstercal stuff. But they could've put those characters, played by those actors, in any situation, and I'd be riveted.
  • Ah I see, it's a show stuck in the "I want to watch this while doing something else and I want to watch this without doing something else area" that makes it hard. The other funny thing is I like the show in exactly the opposite way you do I like the dark and serious (with humor thrown in) and think that the overtly campy stuff falls flat.
    Yes, that's the crux of the issue; although, there were a few things here and there that just rubbed me the wrong way regardless. Like, after Buffy kills the Master of all vampire-kind, beats the tar out of the most feared vampire of all time, and goes on to murder some kind of world-ending apocalypse demon, the first episode of the following season she gets her ass utterly handed to her by a single teenage vampire (no weapons, no magic, nothin' - just a plain old vampire). Just...god. That was painful to watch.

Also Spike. I don't think I've ever seen a character so viciously drug through the mud at length without mercy or remorse. And completely unnecessarily t' boot. He leaves the show several times and just keeps getting brought back to be thrown farther and farther down to lower, more pathetic depths. It's some kind of writer-sadism. It has to be.
  • Also Spike. I don't think I've ever seen a character so viciously drug through the mud at length without mercy or remorse. And completely unnecessarily t' boot. He leaves the show several times and just keeps getting brought back to be thrown farther and farther down to lower, more pathetic depths. It's some kind of writer-sadism. Ithas to be.
    Well, that's kind of what Joss Whedon is known for. Putting his characters through the most horrible shit imaginable.
  • Well, that's kind of what Joss Whedon is known for. Putting his characters through the most horrible shit imaginable.
    But it hasn't served any purpose. Well, discounting the fact that I never want to hear the word "chip" again. The number of times the word "chip" and "castrated" appear in the same phrase in relation to Spike is astounding.

At least all the shitty stuff that happened to Angel, or - I guess River would be the Firefly analogue for this statement? At least that was kind of entertaining and served a purpose to move the plot along. Spike just kind of shows up so someone can say "Spike, your chip has castrated you, chip chip, castrate, chip, impotence, flaccid, castrate, chip" and then punch him in the face. And then the plot kind of sidesteps him and moves on in spite of his dead weight.
  • And then the plot kind of sidesteps him
    Well, I don't know how far into the season you are, but that stops happening to an extent. He still gets kicked around a lot, though.
  • Man you need to be watching Angel at the same time if you think Spike was beat the crap out of what the entire character arch of Wesley. From his intro in Buffy to the last season of Angel you probably couldn't recognize his character.
  • edited December 2010
    Man you need to be watching Angel at the same time if you think Spike was beat the crap out of what the entire character arch of Wesley. From his intro in Buffy to the last season of Angel you probably couldn't recognize his character.
    If one of the major problems he has with the show is that it tries to get too serious and focuses less on the humor, then Angel is probably not for him.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on