This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Flip Camera Art!

RymRym
edited February 2010 in Art!
I'm likely getting a Flip camera in the near future. Independent of any better cameras we may get for GeekNights, a flip is a good backup camera, and I imagine using it to ghetto-record lots of convention stuff.

The question is: what sort of custom art should I have applied to it?

I've got some ideas, but does anyone have (or want to make) something cool?

Comments

• My Crab People, by the way, is the GeekNights logo, as I expect to use this primarily for GeekNights. (I still need to make a little microphone box with the logo on it).
  • You're going to have to tell us how it is. I've been looking to replace my old video camera for a while.
  • You're going to have to tell us how it is. I've been looking to replace my old video camera for a while.
    Fixed lens (digital zoom only), no way to use it as a webcam, fixed storage: it's a low-end quick-video solution. Don't expect it to be useful for anything other than that.

I plan to use it to record panels for archival purposes, conduct short interviews, and maybe sit as a third/fourth camera for bigger things as a sort of default "wide shot" just to give us another camera angle with which to work. It's my throwaway camera, not my main one.
  • edited February 2010
    Fixed lens (digital zoom only), no way to use it as a webcam, fixed storage: it's a low-end quick-video solution. Don't expect it to be useful for anything other than that.
    I was planning on having it be something that I can just carry around, I'm also planning on getting a nice HD video camera for actual filming use.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Haha, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were gonna talk about pictures made by people tossing their cameras up in the air while its taking a picture.
  • I'm looking to get a Flip camera soon, any bad experiences people had with them or are they generally pretty solid?
  • Doesn't Scott's iPhone have similar capabilities?
  • The files it makes can't be imported properly into Premiere. The audio will be super unsynched. It's also slow as crap to get files off of it, and your video will be crazy shaky without a means of steadying the camera.

Beyond these dawbacks, it's solid.
  • The audio will be super unsynched.
    Is this a difficult problem to correct? I'm very uneducated when it comes to video camera technology.
  • Is this a difficult problem to correct?
    Effectively mpossible as far as I can see. I don't use the audio from the camera, so I gave up pretty quickly, but Adobe admitted it was a problem that wasn't going to be fixed.

The built-in editor, while crappy, can handle it fine.
  • If you upload the video to youtube, you can download it back as an MP4.
    Yeah, because that's a perfectly valid workflow...
  • Effectively mpossible as far as I can see. I don't use the audio from the camera, so I gave up pretty quickly, but Adobe admitted it was a problem that wasn't going to be fixed.

The built-in editor, while crappy, can handle it fine.
    Ahh, so this is mainly an issue with Premiere. Shouldn't be a problem as the cost is way out of my budget :(
  • edited December 2010
    If you upload the video to youtube, you can download it back as an MP4.
    Well the work doth flow, that's for sure.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • The question is: what sort of custom art should I have applied to it?
    "The First Amendment" across the bottom with Goatsee doing his thing over the camera lense.
  • edited December 2010
    If you upload the video to youtube, you can download it back as an MP4.
    Quicktime Pro, export to a h.264 quicktime, and should import just fine. At least it imports fine when I use Finalcut or After Effects.
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • Quicktime Pro, export to a h.264 quicktime, and should import just fine. At least it imports fine when I use Finalcut or After Effects.
    Ok, give us the money for that software and the money for a Mac.
  • Quicktime Pro, export to a h.264 quicktime, and should import just fine. At least it imports fine when I use Finalcut or After Effects.
    Ok, give us the money for that software and the money for a Mac.
    Quicktime Pro doesn't exist any more, since Quicktime X there is only one version. Don't you already have a Macbook for work? Or a Mac mini?

And yes, I know that this wouldn't be really feasible.
  • Don't you already have a Macbook for work? Or a Mac mini?
    Mac mini is too weak. Also, never use your work computer for personal things and vice versa.
  • edited December 2010
    never use your work computer for personal things
    How come? What's wrong with that? If it's a computer you have at home, but have dedicated for work, or a Macbook you take with you to work and back home.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • never use your work computer for personal things
    How come? What's wrong with that? If it's a computer you have at home, but have dedicated for work, or a Macbook you take with you to work and back home.
    If your computer is owned by your employer, then anything that is on that computer, or that you do with that computer, is also your employer's property. Likewise, if you put things that are your employer's property onto a computer that you own, then they may have grounds to take that computer or do what they will with it. Phones are the same story. If you use your personal phone that you pay for, but have things on it that belong to your employer, they can just remotely erase your phone.

You gotta keep 'em separated.
  • You gotta keep 'em separated.
  • If your computer is owned by your employer, then anything that is on that computer, or that you do with that computer, is also your employer's property. Likewise, if you put things that are your employer's property onto a computer that you own, then they may have grounds to take that computer or do what they will with it. Phones are the same story. If you use your personal phone that you pay for, but have things on it that belong to your employer, they can just remotely erase your phone.
    This is doubly true if you're a defense contractor. If you accidently get emailed classified information that you shouldn't have been, the gov't seizes your computer/phone. It's why I don't get work email on my phone.
  • Churbs, you read my mind every time
  • Churbs, you read my mind every time
    It's what I do, Man. It's what I do.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of The Offspring when Scott wrote that.
  • I was directly making an Offspring reference.
    Never said it was perfect.
  • Format Factory Is a good multimedia converter.
  • Mediacoder is good and open-source.