This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your Mom is going to be an Aunt...and needs to buy shiny things!

edited February 2010 in Technology
...and has wisely chosen to live at least 500+ miles from all other members of her family for reasons of sanity. While sanity is an undeniable perk, I do fear that it will really makes it difficult to go out and see my soon-to-be Niece more than once or twice a year if I am lucky. After a bit of pondering, I decided that the best purchase for my sister's birthday/Mother's Day would be a digital camcorder. However, my technical know how in this realm is sadly lacking...

Here is what I am looking for:

* Reasonable picture quality
* Ease of Use by anyone with a reasonable amount of computer skill and ability to read an instruction manual
* Ability to upload data via USB port or memory card onto the computer for storage/youtube-age
* Ability to mount the camera on a tripod
* Relative budget of $200 - $400 for the camera itself, with additional money in the budget for memory card, tripod, camera bag, etc.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on a quality product to buy here?

Comments

• My mother already is an aunt. :3
  • were you going to buy it in a store or online?
  • I have absolutely no preferences whether in store or online. I am really more looking for a handful of good options. Once I have a few recommended makes and models, I'll do some additional homework and find a store to try them out in before I buy.
  • do you care about Hi-Def?
  • edited February 2010
    If you want to make an informed decision then go to camcorderinfo. I would recommend something that records to flash memory. Hard disk and mini-dvd recorders are highly unpractical. A year ago the best bang for your buck was (based on my own preferences) the Canon HF20, which is what I got (actually I got the one without the internal flash memory, which would be be slightly more than your budget allows but probably worth the money if you want an HD camcorder).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Flip Camera. They start at $149, and max out at like $249. HD, simple interface, good battery life, integrated storage. The only drawbacks are that they have a fixed lens (not a drawback for most people) and that they can record, at most, 120 minutes of video at a time.

http://www.theflip.com/en-us/
  • Flip Camera. They start at $149, and max out at like $249. HD, simple interface, good battery life, integrated storage. The only drawbacks are that they have a fixed lens (not a drawback for most people) and that they can record, at most, 120 minutes of video at a time.

http://www.theflip.com/en-us/
    do they have expandable memory?
  • RymRym
    edited February 2010
    do they have expandable memory?
    Not really. That's kind of the point. They're a short-video simple camcorder. They're designed to just carry in your pocket to grab quick films of things. They sell them on the idea that it's 4 seconds from power-on to record.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited February 2010
    @Scotty

Some do depends on the model. Most will not use sd cards for expandable memory. There are a few that do however and the sd cards aren't too expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Zi6-Pocket-Video-Camera/dp/B001BO7R00

Realistic though for a flip camera it's not intended to be used for a very long time.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Well I knew that, it's a pocket cam, I just wanted to know. I stopped selling electronics before the they came out so I'm not as knowledgeable as I use to be on current technology.