This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your Favorite and Most Hated Stand-Up Comedians

GeoGeo
edited February 2010 in Suggestions
Who are your favorite and most hated stand up comedians of all time?

I don't, by any means, have an exhaustive list. But I have three of each that a few that many people seem to love, as well as a few I cannot stand (respectively).

34cBchox5TY
He along with Lenny Bruce (Don't have a video cause no videos or adequately listenable audio exists) brought the medium to where it is today.

LcefX9TPlkY
Bill Hicks is my heroes because he didn't do a comedy routine moreso than just scream at the audience about their failings of humanity, because nobody else that I'm currently aware of will do so or have the same impact he had.

ZlXGotl6TvM
I think it's obvious why I like this wonderful man.

I will not dignify these next three by posting videos, because they don't deserve any of that.

Denis Leary: As much as I respect the man for Rescue Me and his donations to charity, he is a dirty, filthy thief. He monstrously ripped off Bill Hicks word-for-word. It's one thing to borrow somebody's routine and change the words around a bit and have the same observations, but it's completely different when you blatantly plagiarize somebody else's work.

Dane Cook: This guy makes me rage because of how annoying, unoriginal, and and a show-off he is.

Gilbert Gottfried: What can I say? The man is disgustingly rude and obnoxious. Iago was and always will be the best thing he will ever do.

Comments

• Denis Leary: As much as I respect the man forRescue Meand his donations to charity, he is a dirty, filthy thief. He monstrously ripped off Bill Hicks word-for-word. It's one thing to borrow somebody's routine and change the words around a bit and have the same observations, but it's completely different when you blatantly plagiarize somebody else's work.
    Which routines did he rip off? I've heard this before, but I never gave it much credence.
    Dane Cook: This guy makes meragebecause of how annoying, unoriginal, and and a show-off he is.
    I concur.
    Gilbert Gottfried: What can I say? The man is disgustingly rude and obnoxious. Iago was and always will be the best thing he will ever do.
    The Aristocrats.
  • Denis Leary: As much as I respect the man forRescue Meand his donations to charity, he is a dirty, filthy thief. He monstrously ripped off Bill Hicks word-for-word. It's one thing to borrow somebody's routine and change the words around a bit and have the same observations, but it's completely different when you blatantly plagiarize somebody else's work.
    Which routines did he rip off? I've heard this before, but I never gave it much credence.
    The one specific example that comes to mind is the Jim Fix routine.
  • John Hodgeman.
  • Don't be afraid to post the same comedian twice. If you wanna post a video of a comedian somebody else has posted before, I think that would be great because every great comedian (unless you are unfunny like Dane Cook) has a variety of routines to choose from and this would be a great way to see all the great routines and be introduced to new ones because I know a lot of you have great taste in a large amount of subjects.
  • Louis CK is the best living standup, period.
  • I take all my parenting advice from this guy:
  • Gilbert Gottfried: What can I say? The man is disgustingly rude and obnoxious. Iago was and always will be the best thing he will ever do.
    He brought The Aristocrats mainstream. Gottfried is pretty awesome.
    "I'm An Asshole" was a piece by Louis CK before it made Leary famous.
    [video]
    :|
    [video]
    :|
    Heh heh -- though I remember it being good, it's actually been probably a couple years since I watched that clip, which he describes as "very fucked up jokes that I mostly never told again". Seriously, though, Louis CK is amazing.
  • I can't believe I forgot this great right here.
  • I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Robin Williams, "A Night at the Met" is one of my favourite stand up albums ever.
  • I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Robin Williams, "A Night at the Met" is one of my favourite stand up albums ever.
    It's a good album, but there's a goodly amount of stories regarding Robin Williams stealing material.
  • I know a that a lot of comics(myself included) will refuse to work a night with Dustin Diamond, because he's notorious for swiping bits.
  • Why did no one say Eddie Izzard yet? He swears while talking in an erudite manner about Latin Grammar and history, while wearing sparkle make-up. I love his routines so much.

• what made me want to do stand-up was Dana Carvey's Critic's performance right after he did the Wayne's World movies. He ran through every impression he had ever done and wrapped it up with "She's Chopping Broccoli." Carvey had great delivery and amazing physicality. George Carlin, of course, will always be on top.

Jeff Foxworthy made stand-up family-friendly, although it hit a bit home when I saw his house in South Carolina.

Oddly enough, I thought Rita Rutner (Rudner?) had some of the most condensed material for any woman comedian in the early '90's.
  • I enjoyed Dmetri Martin at some point in time.

Mitch R.I.P.
    What a great man.
  • Jeff Foxworthy
    Jeff Foxworthy is a hack who relies on one conjugated gimmick to bring in the money.
  • Jeff Foxworthy
    Jeff Foxworthy is a hack who relies on one conjugated gimmick to bring in the money.
    It's all about Ron White man. Foxworthy is terrible!
  • edited February 2010
    If you need some lowbrow humor, Ron White is a pretty good source. I will admit that I find some of his material funny, and he doesn't really pull punches, which is probably why I've only ever been amused by him as far as the BCCT goes. Bill Engvall is mediocre, probably because he sacrifices honesty and laughs to try to reach a wider audience. Foxworthy sucks, and David Cross has said all that needs to be said about Larry the Cable Guy, who is more or less the lowest common denominator in comedy.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • David Crosshas said all that needs to be saidabout Larry the Cable Guy,
    David Cross is definitely one of my favorites.
  • It's all about Ron White man.
    His one act was sort of funny the first time I heard it, but I haven't seen any new material from him.

Among my top comedians are Mitch Hedburg (R.I.P.), Eddie Murphy, Demitri Martin, Doug Benson, The Sklar Brothers, Bill Cosby, Robin Williams, Gabriel Iglesias, Dave Chapelle, and to a lesser extent, Louis C.K., Doug Stanhope, Bill Hicks, Lewis Black, and some others.

Comedians I don't like include George Carlin (You guys can hate on me all you want, but I never thought George Carlin was funny.), Ron White, Dane Cook, Lisa Lampanelli, Sara Silverman (Her stand-up is ass but she's a funny person.), Kathy Griffin, and Jay Leno.
  • Jay Leno.
    Jay Leno is a stand-up comedian? I thought he was an arrogant, pompous, cowardly ass. And, you know, amazingly unfunny.

Love George Carlin, Lewis Black, surprised Richard Pryor hasn't been mentioned yet, Gabriel Iglesias, Jeff Dunham, and well, I could probably go on for some time.

Everyone seems to hate Dane Cook, so how the hell does he keep getting jobs?
  • edited January 2011
    Jay Leno is a stand-up comedian? I thought he was an arrogant, pompous, cowardly ass. And, you know, amazingly unfunny.
    What the hell is with all the Leno Bashing all of a sudden? He's been the same bad comic for seventeen years, but I never heard a cross word about him before, but suddenly, he and NBC screws over Conan, and then faster than your first sexual experience it's fucking trendy to slam Leno, so now EVERYBODY is doing it.

Yeah, he's a bad comic, but people going "Bitch bitch whine whine I hate Leno" Just becomes a whole lot less credible where it's mostly ignored for seventeen years, even I'd say mildly popular, and then within three weeks, you can just about walk up to a small Ethiopian child, tell him you're from America, and he'll tell you in broken English that Leno's a twat.

You know what would have kept Conan on the air? ACTUALLY WATCHING CONAN BEFORE IT WAS TRENDY TO BE ON THE "LENO SUCKS, TEAM COCO!" BANDWAGON, YOU FUCKING WANKSTAINS.

You wanna talk bad comics? How about David Letterman? Let me lay out his typical show for you - Product placement, filler, product placement, filler, predictable joke, Predictable "topical" Joke, Filler, predictable joke, filler filler tired shtick tired shtick, be fawningly sycophantic or dismissively rude to a guest, maybe accidentally do a good interview, goodnight.
    Or maybe, despite having his own rather popular show, and being a household name in America, Not being able to resist sticking the boot into Leno, not about supporting Conan - though under the guise of it - but about shoving the boot into Leno because he's still fucking bitter about Leno getting the tonight show instead of him, SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO. How about get over it, and go back to plugging whatever skymall shit it is this month, making shitty, predictable, unoriginal jokes, and fade back into the vague....oh, wait, is that the "I hate Leno" bandwagon that just went rumbling past? I better start running so I can jump on that shit, before it stops being trendy and I have to form an actual opinion.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2010
    Jeff Dunham
    Jeff Dunham isn't funny in the slightest.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Jeff Dunham
    Jeff Dunham isn't funny in the slightest.
    QFT.

I really like Demetri Martin, although most don't. Needless to say, Lewis Black. Also, fuck Dane Cook. I really don't like Dane Cook.
  • Also, fuck Dane Cook. I really don't like Dane Cook.
    I only find Dane Cook to be funny if I'm in the right mood and if I'm watching a video. The "right mood" doesn't happen often at all, needless to say.
  • edited March 2010
    I love George Carlin. I think he's my favorite comedian ever. You can really respect a comedian when he can come up with crazy, but ingenious theories caused by annoying truths in today's societies. For an assignment for my public speaking class, I had to read off a speech or book as I talked to the audience and I decided to read off the following George Carlin routine:

I got an A. :3

Lewis Black is another favorite too. I've watched annoying movies and TV shows just to see his comedy. My favorite bit of his is this one, just because of he's talking about water and milk. Moo Cow Fuck Milk ftw.

I enjoy Demetri Martin, Chris Rock, Louis CK, Dave Chappelle, Patton Oswalt (No mentions for him yet?), Richard Jeni, and Bill Cosby are some I can name off hand. I find Gabriel Iglesias and John Pinette really funny as wells. They are big guys with who can tell great stories with funny voices.
    Also, fuck Dane Cook. I really don't like Dane Cook.
    I only find Dane Cook to be funny if I'm in the right mood and if I'm watching a video. The "right mood" doesn't happen often at all, needless to say.
    I can admit that Dane Cook is charismatic he can be very fun to watch because he's so manic and animated during his stand-up. But the dude can't deliver a punchline. The joke just goes on and on and on and nothing. He's in really shitty movies too. But we can all laugh at him because his brother tried to embezzle from him.

Going along on that train, Carlos Mencia too. He's just not funny and his show got really painful to watch. And if you want a true plagiarist, there ya go. He even ripped off a joke from Bill Cosby, the bastard.

EDIT: I don't find Sarah Silverman funny either. I can say that I enjoyed "The Sarah Silverman Program" but that was mostly because of the funny actions of Brian Posehn and Zach Galifianakis. She's just a cute girl who says dirty words. That's about it. And every other joke she tells is a shit joke. Bleh.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Old Bill Cosby audio still does it for me. I recommend listening to the classic "To Russel, My Brother, Whom I Slept With." It very accurately captures precisely what it is to be a young boy with a younger brother sharing a bed late at night.