This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Recall: Affected Products

edited March 2010 in News
In case you didn't know, the FDA has announced a recall of products manufactured with hydrolyzed vegetable protein from a particular establishment. The ingredient is contaminated with Salmonella. So far, no illnesses have been reported.

Here is the current list of affected products.

Comments

• Ah, Biological Scaries; a great way to start the morning. Thankfully, I eat none of those things.
  • Question for the post apocalypse: Is there any way to determine the presence of salmonella in food when scouring the wasteland for supplies?
  • Question for the post apocalypse: Is there any way to determine the presence of salmonella in food when scouring the wasteland for supplies?
    Bring a dog. If they won't eat it then, you should avoid it too. Also if it looks like a weird color/glowing green, smells funky/festering meat wrapped in stinky tofu, or grows a face and starts calling you "DADDY!;" it's best left alone.
  • Will a cat with a tendency to wink at me suffice?
  • Will a cat with a tendency to wink at me suffice?
    No, because cats hate you and want you to eat poisoned food.
    Is there any way to determine the presence of salmonella in food when scouring the wasteland for supplies?
    To determine a minimal infectious dose? Not really. However, if a food spells markedly of sulphur/rotten eggs, odds are it's heavily contaminated with Salmonella.

But really, it's hard to detect a lot of foodborne pathogens organoleptically. Many of them will not cause obvious spoilage at their minmal (or even a moderate) infectious dose level. L. monocytogenes is particularly bad in that regard.

tl;dr: Keep paying me to do my job or you'll all die from explosive diarrhea.
  • edited March 2010
    organoleptically
    This is why I love you, Pete.
    Post edited by Jason on
    My dogs have attempted to eat various poops. You'll pardon me if I don't trust their palettes.