This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Don't be dicks to eachother

Comments

• edited March 2010
    As another measure, how about "I'm a dick" banners in addition to grammar probation?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Some people might wear that proudly. Maybe something a little more embarrassing would keep people from wanting the title.
  • Some people might wear that proudly. Maybe something a little more embarrassing would keep people from wanting the title.
    The problem is, really, that the people dickish enough to warrant anything like it would either, as you say, wear it as a badge of pride, or simply just not care.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm thinking it would be more for the benefit of other forum members, especially newcomers. We could also definitely come up with a better title.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited March 2010
    8==D, but yeah, I think we should all just try and embrace peace and love on the forum. That video in the puppies thread, was kinda gross.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • edited March 2010
    I only read about 10% of the threads. I thought that things were pretty cool lately. I guess I was wrong. The political threads have been pretty mellow.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • It's kinda sad this thread had to be made.
  • I only read about 10% of the threads. I thought that things were pretty cool lately. I guess I was wrong. The political threads have been pretty mellow.
    The political (and occasionally religious) threads aren't even the start of it. People are dicks for much less normal reasons. I think that's the sad part, is that they're not being dicks in an argument, they're just pointing out random mistakes/slight errors and pouncing on them mercilessly.
  • they're just pointing out random mistakes/slight errors and pouncing on them mercilessly.
    If you don't want to be pounced on, be more careful with what you post.
  • they're just pointing out random mistakes/slight errors and pouncing on them mercilessly.
    If you don't want to be pounced on, be more careful with what you post.
    Not so much grammatical mistakes, but logic mistakes, or the mistake of posting an opinion as a fact unintentionally. Things like this should just get ignored, if a person is apparently ignorant about a situation, it's no one else's place to "educate" them. It's not your job to make the world smarter, I guess.
  • I haven't been on the forum much in the past couple of weeks. What the heck are you people doing to each other?!
    :P
  • Well, personally I haven't noticed a problem, but if people are complaining there must be one.
  • edited March 2010
    Not so much grammatical mistakes, but logic mistakes, or the mistake of posting an opinion as a fact unintentionally. Things like this should just get ignored, if a person is apparently ignorant about a situation, it's no one else's place to "educate" them. It's not your job to make the world smarter, I guess.
    That's sort of the point of conversation, especially with nerds. You say something wrong, you're going to be corrected. Ignorance, illogic, and irrationality are not to be tolerated, they are to be eliminated.

The reason we have a rule about grammar and spelling is not because grammar and spelling in and of themselves are super important. The reason is that it encourages people to post carefully, and not frivolously. In order to have correct grammar and spelling, you must proof-read. In that proof-reading you should notice and eliminate anything that is wrong.

If you do post something that is wrong, and you are corrected, you should not take that negatively. You should be thankful for the free education. In the olden days before the Internet, you would go on thinking the wrong thing. Now thanks to the glorious and amazing technology, you have the power to learn anything. Never before in history have humans had such power, it is truly the greatest wonder of our society.

I know that when I post something wrong, and someone corrects me, that is totally awesome. Why is it awesome? Because I learn something, and learning is awesome. If you don't think learning is awesome, then you are anti-intellectual, and you deserve to be ostracized as far as I'm concerned.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Axel, I think what Rym and Scott are complaining about is mostly tone. There's a huge difference between:

"That doesn't sound quite right... Maybe you meant 'your' instead of 'you're'?"

and:

"God, you're such a fucking moron. Don't you know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'? Go fuck yourself, dickdribble."
  • Things like this should just get ignored, if a person is apparently ignorant about a situation, it's no one else's place to "educate" them. It's not your job to make the world smarter, I guess.
    I completely disagree with you in almost every conceivable way. It's everybody's job to enhance everyone's understanding of everything. Period. That's the point of human interaction: to gain a perspective on information that is not your own. That's how you learn. That's how human civilization has advanced.

I mean, how do you learn anything at all if someone else doesn't teach you about it? How do you strengthen your body of knowledge unless you challenge it?

I think you're referring more to condescension, which, admittedly, is a difficult thing to avoid when you're "correcting" someone. It's hard not to talk down to a person when you legitimately know more about a given subject than they do. Try not to take it personally, and other people need to remember to try very hard not to talk down to someone.
  • Just as a note, I didn't PM Rym or Scott about this. I don't know who did, but in case anyone thought that maybe it was me who was complaining, it wasn't.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    Things like this should just get ignored, if a person is apparently ignorant about a situation, it's no one else's place to "educate" them. It's not your job to make the world smarter, I guess.
    I completely disagree with you in almost every conceivable way. It's everybody's job to enhance everyone's understanding of everything. Period. That's the point of human interaction: to gain a perspective on information that is not your own. That's how you learn. That's how human civilization has advanced.

I mean, how do you learn anything at all if someone else doesn't teach you about it? How do you strengthen your body of knowledge unless you challenge it?

I think you're referring more to condescension, which, admittedly, is a difficult thing to avoid when you're "correcting" someone. It's hard not to talk down to a person when you legitimately know moreabout a given subject than theydo. Try not to take it personally, and other people need to remember to try very hard not to talk down to someone.
    But what if they have an incurable disorder such as dysgraphia? That has nothing to do with intellectual impairment, and sufferers know exactly what they want their post to say, yet their spelling continually suffers as a result of this debilitating disorder.
    EDIT: Although getting occupational and motor therapy can remedy this problem to some degree, there is not much they can do about it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • It's kinda sad this thread had to be made.
    Not to mention a little embarrassing. I am kind of disappoint.
  • But what if they have an incurable disorder such as dysgraphia? That has nothing to do with intellectual impairment, and sufferers know exactly what they want their post to say, yet they're spelling continually suffers as a result of this debilitating disorder.
    EDIT: Although getting occupational and motor therapy can remedy this problem to some degree, there is not much they can do about it.
    That's a pretty special exception, and that should probably be brought up when pertinent. However, that has nothing to do with someone being wrong about a given topic.
  • Dear People:

This is the internet, stop pretending like you are not going to be offended. Grow thicker skin.

Love,
    Andrew
  • That has nothing to do with intellectual impairment, and sufferers know exactly what they want their post to say, yet they're spelling continually suffers as a result of this debilitating disorder.
    I have to admit, I found this sentence mildly funny.
  • That has nothing to do with intellectual impairment, and sufferers know exactly what they want their post to say, yet they're spelling continually suffers as a result of this debilitating disorder.
    I have to admit, I found this sentence mildly funny.
    ...oh...um...this is awkward. I can't say this is the first time that has happened...today.
    I've fixed it.
  • Dear People:

This is the internet, stop pretending like you are not going to be offended. Grow thicker skin.

Love,
    Andrew
    Don't be dicks
    It's the ridiculous amount of presumption and the following unnecessary condescending tone and attitude aimed at other users that's causing arguments. It's not a matter of right or wrong, it's more often a matter of differing opinions and a total lack of any attempt to communicate them as if you were talking to a human being you remotely respected. There's something wrong with wanting to tone that down? Really?
  • It's the ridiculous amount of presumption and the following unnecessary condescending tone and attitude aimed at other users that's causing arguments. It's not a matter of right or wrong, it's more often a matter of differing opinions and a total lack of any attempt to communicate them as if you were talking to a human being you remotely respected. There's something wrong with wanting to tone that down? Really?
  • Yes, I'm aware of that. The idea of this thread is to tell people to use their illusionary free will and stop doing that. ._.
  • I don't do anonymity. Can I still be a dickwad?
  • We'd appreciate it if you were just your usual cool self, Luke.
  • What if you are come off as a dick unintentionally and you accidentally make strawmen on a regular basis?
  • We'd appreciate it if you were just your usual cool self, Luke.
    Be like Cool Hand Luke and try to escape from dickishness and a Florida prison camp at some point in your life.
  • What if you are come off as a dick unintentionally and you accidentally make strawmen on a regular basis?
    I think that the point here is that if you are worried about looking like a dick, and you already try not to be a dick, you're probably not the problem. All of us are dicks on the forum every now and then. It's when it becomes a frequent occurrence that it really becomes a problem.