This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Don't be dicks to eachother

Comments

• Basically, don't get "Dick" voted on as a character trait.
  • This thread is both my thing of the day and my fail of the day.
    LOL and le sigh
  • Don't be a dick, or else people won't want to have sex with you!
  • edited March 2010
    I have to say that this thread is hilarious on a forum that is run by Rym and Scott. These men have constantly repeated that if someone gets offended, then it is their problem, not the person perpetrating the offensive action. As such, the hypocrisy of this thread is ridiculously silly in a rather delightful way. I also think the circumstances that lead to this showed such an over-the-top lack of humor and maturity on all sides that I cannot help but laugh at it.
    EDIT: I say this in full knowledge that I have been equally immature and humorless in the past. ^_~
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I have to say that this thread is hilarious on a forum that is run by Rym and Scott. These men have constantly repeated that if someone gets offended, then it is their problem, not the person perpetrating the offensive action. As such, the hypocrisy of this thread is ridiculously silly in a rather delightful way. I also think the circumstances that lead to this showed such an over-the-top lack of humor and maturity on all sides that I cannot help but laugh at it.
    EDIT: I say this in full knowledge that I have been equally immature and humorless in the past. ^_~
    Hehehe...
  • Basically, don't get "Dick" voted on as a character trait.
    What if someone spends their fate tokens to trigger your "Dick" aspect?
  • What if someone spends their fate tokens to trigger your "Dick" aspect?
    You can always pay a fate token to decline, but then why'd you take the dick aspect in the first place? Because being a dick should be fun.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    What if someone spends their fate tokens to trigger your "Dick" aspect?
    You can always pay a fate token to decline, but then why'd you take the dick aspect in the first place? Because being a dick should befun.
    I disagree with this. Unless you're doing it playfully, it's never okay to be a dick. Maybe it's just me, but I just firmly believe in and conduct myself in using the Golden Rule as often as possible and I try not to deviate from it, unless the situation tells me that doing so is useless or I'm just playing around.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Ah, but I think people like Nine act in keeping with the Golden Rule.
  • I disagree with this. Unless you're doing it playfully, it's never okay to be a dick. Maybe it's just me, but I just firmly believe in and conduct myself in using the Golden Rule as often as possible and I try not to deviate from it, unless the situation tells me that doing so is useless or I'm just playing around.
    ahem.
    Whoever has the gold makes the rules?
    Whoever has the gold makes the rules?
    Close, but no cigar. Treat others the way you would like to be treated.
  • Close, but no cigar. Treat others the way you would like to be treated.
    I made an Aladdin reference.
  • Close, but no cigar.
    What a dick thing to say.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    Close, but no cigar. Treat others the way you would like to be treated.
    I made an Aladdin reference.
    I know you did.
    Close, but no cigar.
    What a dick thing to say.
    Huh?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • What if someone spends their fate tokens to trigger your "Dick" aspect?
    You can always pay a fate token to decline, but then why'd you take the dick aspect in the first place? Because being a dick should befun.
    Alternately, make Dick your Madness Talent. Just be careful not to Change too much.
  • Alternately, make Dick your Madness Talent. Just be careful not to Change too much.
    Is that Don't Rest Your Head? I never read that one.
  • Okay.... what the hell is going on here? I know that Scrym have never cared about people feeling offended, and were clear about that. Thus, it was a condition of using the forum.

So why do they care all of the sudden? I'm not necessarily interested in the exact problem and/or people. I'm wondering as a global matter why their attitude has changed.

Frankly, I think this board would benefit greatly from moderation. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I've been on many other sites where it works well. The key is that the moderators need to be good. Darned good. They have to enforce limited rules and not let the role get into their head so they can impose their personal will. When done well, it really does work.

So I'm on record saying that a certain level of moderation would be good for this forum.
  • So why do they care all of the sudden? I'm not necessarily interested in the exact problem and/or people. I'm wondering as a global matter why their attitude has changed.
    The number of complaints has risen suddenly. Something's different. I took the minimum possible action to see if it corrected the new trend.
    So I'm on record saying that a certain level of moderation would be good for this forum.
    Would anyone like to moderate? We have a grand total of one third-party moderator currently (Mr. P has been AWOL for some time now).
  • Frankly, I think this board would benefit greatly from moderation.
    Jeeze, moderators are dumb. Every single moderator ever is a fucking retard.

wait...
  • I'd moderate for things like being a dick and content...(not going to be able to help much about spelling and grammar :-p)
  • edited March 2010
    I want to be clear that I support moderation if the rules are extremely basic. Moderators who are allowed to inflict a personal vendetta are bad news. If there are just a couple simple rules, that's fine. The key is that no TOPIC should be off limit, and nobody should be censored for having a unique opinion. It's the respect that I'm concerned with. (Okay to post - not okay to be a dick.)

The reason I was so surprised at this thread is that the people I assumed were the worst offenders have been either absent or respectful lately. But that's what happens when I only read about 10% of the threads.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Yh'know what? We should have a vote for a new Moderator. In my mind it should be the ultimate forces of Churba vs ScoJo, but that is just my opinion. I feel they both are respected and well known in the community and are not shitcock-ey
  • Just so people know, Rym made this thread of his own volition. Personally I don't care if people are dicks, because I ignore it. However, I do care about a large volume of complaints. The reason I care about that is because this is a drama free zone. If the forum becomes filled with drama, I'll just shut it off and make it a permanent archive with no new posts. Be adults, and save the drama for your mama.
  • I feel they both are respected and well known in the community and are not shitcock-ey
    I wouldn't say I don't shitcock at all :-p
  • The number of complaints has risen suddenly. Something's different.
    Maybe everyone got whinier.
  • Yh'know what? We should have a vote for a new Moderator. In my mind it should be the ultimate forces of Churba vs ScoJo, but that is just my opinion. I feel they both are respected and well known in the community and are not shitcock-ey
    Well, I'm on the forums a lot of the time, and I do read all the threads, which is as asset, and to paraphrase ScoJo, I'd say I don't shitcock at all.
    I don't know about respected, though, I think I'm more thought of as the relatively-dumb-but-sometimes-pretty-funny guy, though I won't dispute well known, I feel like I'm practically a meme around here sometimes, at this point.

So, I suppose count this as me officially volunteering for it. I don't know if I'm exactly what you're seeking, but I'll have a red-hot go at it, at the very least.
  • Fuck moderation.
  • Let me guess this is about me topic is about me?
  • Let me guess this is about me topic is about me?
    No, it requires skill to cause this much disruption.