This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Don't be dicks to eachother

124»

Comments

• Hahahah.
  • I'll volunteer to be a moderator if there is a need for one, I'm practically always on.
  • Would anyone like to moderate? We have a grand total of one third-party moderator currently (Mr. P has been AWOL for some time now).
    Lastly, for any of you who want to be moderators, you can stop asking us how to become one. Whatever WiP did is what you need to do. Learn from his example.
    Time paradox, O SHI-
  • Would anyone like to moderate? We have a grand total of one third-party moderator currently (Mr. P has been AWOL for some time now).
    Nice if I was a moderator I'd be a second party one :-p
    Nice if I was a moderator I'd be a second party one :-p
    I've slowly been grinding away my layers of abstraction. My Erdős Scrym number is almost 1.
  • Fuck moderation.
    This.
  • Alternately, make Dick your Madness Talent. Just be careful not to Change too much.
    Is that Don't Rest Your Head? I never read that one.
    Yeah, it is. I really need to find a group to play it with, it looks awesome.
    Fuck moderation.
    This.
    Works for /b/. Oh wait...
  • Works for /b/. Oh wait...
    Actually, /b/ is moderated. They have both Mods and Janitors, who are sort of like mods, but with slightly less power - the can only clean out threads, rather than being able to ban users, change posts, etc, etc.
  • I don't understand what more moderators would actually do. I mean, how do you "moderate" for shitcockery? That seems like it would surmount to no more than pointing out when people are being dicks, and we do that anyway.
    Actually, /b/ is moderated. They have both Mods and Janitors, who are sort of like mods, but with slightly less power - the can only clean out threads, rather than being able to ban users, change posts, etc, etc.
    Exactly. /b/ is moderated, and /b/ is still utter shit.
    Exactly. /b/ is moderated, and /b/ is still utter shit.
    You can't make the argument both ways, WindUpBird.
  • Really forum, really?
  • You can't make the argument both ways, WindUpBird.
    I accidentally the beginning of my argument. Derp.
  • I accidentally the beginning of my argument
    Accidentally what?
  • edited March 2010
    I accidentally the beginning of my argument
    Accidentally what?
    I accidentally the entire beginning of the argument!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I have dysgraphia, and yes it fucks up my spelling (thats what spell check is for). After years of rote repetition I can get your and you're right, but don't ask me to explain the grammatical rules for it. Also, don't ask me to read sheet music either. Adapt and overcome, it hasn't kept me from having the coolest job ever.

I don't mind if people are dicks here, it was made clear at the beginning that was the case. What strikes me as intersting is how people who supposedly like to hang out with each other in real life can be so mean and cutting here. Arguing over semantics and the form of the argument rather than the content of what the other person is saying, as if that wins the argument. I'm sorry that its been so long since I was in debate, I don't remember the different argument types and frankly I don't think I need to know them to express and educated opinion. The tone of the conversation here seems to me to be a barrier to new people entering the fray, going against the tone of the podcast and the friendly invitation to join in.

As for me personally, I say have at it, be as mean as you want, but don't be surprised if I just ignore you (which of course you're welcome to do to me), or very carefully pick and choose which threads I respond in. For me, I follow a simple rule, don't write out things that would get me punched in the face if I said them to the person in real life. Its not fear, its a desire to foster respect and fellowship.

p.s. did I make any grammatical or spelling errors there? Any logical fallacies? If past history here is a guide then I'm sure if I did someone will let me know in a mean spirited and cutting way.
  • edited March 2010
    (that's what spell check is for)

Honestly, I read a lot of the posts on this forum and I haven't noticed more dickishness than usual. I think some people could do with dialling it down a bit anyway, but I don't feel like it's become worse. Hell, I think it was worse when we had (angry) Hungry Joe, Nine, and The (angry) Tick posting on a regular basis. Maybe the people more likely to complain have been on the receiving end lately.

Also, I miss Hungry Joe, he's awesome. Whatever happened to that guy?
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Now I do feel bad, but only because I was secretly hoping for a cutting remark. Now I'm disappointed to.
  • Also, I miss Hungry Joe, he's awesome. Whatever happened to that guy?
    I don't know, I've been wondering the same thing.
  • What strikes me as intersting is how people who supposedly like to hang out with each other in real life can be so mean and cutting here. Arguing over semantics and the form of the argument rather than the content of what the other person is saying, as if that wins the argument.
    Maybe I can shed some light on that for you. Those of us who know each other in real life are often very opinionated people who enjoy a strong, adversarial conversation. Half of the time we are giving each other shit just for fun, and the other half of the time we are genuinely trying to facilitate the improvement of the argument we are critiquing. (Of course, sometimes we get a little tremendously excited over the points we are making.) Precise language is critical when you are attempting persuasion, and how something is presented imputes just as much meaning as the content itself. The best way to improve at thoughtful argument is to engage in it frequently. When you practice answering tough questions and get honest critiques, your argument gets better. You may end up revising your argument in light of some of the questions you are asked, but that is fine; it's the mark of a well-reasoned speaker (as opposed to a zealot).
  • Nuri, I agree completely that constructive feedback on the form of an argument can be a good thing. I always strive for improvement in all things. I hope you can agree that there are different ways to impart that feedback and it can be done most effectively when done nicely. I don't mind that this forum requires precision and skill, it makes posting here more fraught with danger and excitement than a typical forum, but again I would say that the nasty tone of some posters is counterproductive to a good spirited debate.

I would never want someone to shy away from educating me on facts that I had wrong, I would rather have people wait to call me an idiot until after I showed I had a closed mind.

I've also seen the other side here, people apologizing for their tone when they recognize they have gone overboard, I think that's a good thing.
  • Aside from the Puppies thread, I still haven't noticed specifically where arguments have gone out of hand as of late. Maybe someone could whisper me some instances?
  • No, no, I wasn't advocating being a dick to someone you don't know personally. My point was that those of us that DO know each other personally have a pretty good sense of each other's humor. You may see what looks like Cremlian and Apreche being total assholes to each other on the forum, but it is actually friendly jibing. We couch our constructive comments in dickery quite often because it is part of the dynamic of the group.

It is another thing entirely to adopt that kind of mannerism with someone you don't know well. I might jokingly tell Pete he's got his head up his ass when he makes a snarky, chauvinistic joke, but I would never use the same language to respond to a similar comment from a forumite I don't know. I always try to use neutral language in that case, occasionally going so far as to use the word "ridiculous." There are degrees of communication here.

Then again, I get pretty pissed off when people jump the gun and accuse someone of holding beliefs or views that they have certainly not expressed. "You said X, so you must believe Y as well" and "in the past you have been bad, so even if you try to improve we will assume you have stayed the same" are some themes I have seen too often in seriously-polarized discussions here.