This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tell me about cool RPGs

edited March 2010 in Role Playing Games
Seeing that there is lack of discussions about roleplaying-games in this forums makes me sad, so I felt that maybe I should do something for it. So I'm doing this little thing to give forum-people chance to tell about cool games to each other. (I almost did ”What you are playing” -type thread for rpgs, but maybe later.)

So my idea for this is to tell about interesting games, and why you like them, but this being FRC-forum, discussion can flow.

Some cool games that I have played and I suggest to people who like rpgs.

Solar System

If you know inde-game called The Shadow of Yesterday, you basically know Solar System. Solar System is SoYs rule-system taken out of the fantasy setting, so it's setting generic game, suitable for games where characters are strong and heroic (heroic being negotiable term). System if light weight and easy. Bad thing is that it uses fudge-dice, but if you don't have those you can just use normal d6;es.

Zombie Cinema
Zombie Cinema is the game for those times when you have about three hours time and you and your friends want to play some rpgs, but have noting prepared. Zombie Cinema is zero prep, one-shot game with board-game elements (those meaning a board and little pieces for characters.) And if you couldn't tell from the name this game is all about Zombies threatening humans who fight to survive. It can also be easily modified to any situation where external thing puts pressure to group of survivors, like zombies can be police and players Russian mafia members. Fun little game.

There you go. I might have more for future, but I want to see does this go anywhere.

Comments

• My friend wants to run a game of Exalted over the summer. Anyone played it?
  • @Apsup: I'd ask /tg/ if you can withstand the hell that is 4chan.
    @Sail: The game where Dinosaurs piss heroin?
  • @Apsup: I'd ask /tg/ if you can withstand the hell that is 4chan.
    Although the topic might give someone wrong impression, I'm not actually looking that activity new games to play I have some unplayed ones on my self. I'm just interested some quality conversation of rpgs and I know that here in these forums it is possible (at least in theory). The 'me' in topic is not actually me, but generic me, don't tell about cool games to me, tell about all interested forumites.
  • My current must-plays are Paranoia, Don't Rest Your Head (psychotic insomniacs use the power of insanity to kill their waking nightmares), Spirit of the Century, Feng Shui (Hong Kong Action cinema-style RPG; your shotgun gets +2 damage if you go "chic-CHIC!" and roll the dice with a pump action), Kill Puppies for Satan (addicts to Satan's power try to avoid crippling withdrawal by murdering cute fuzzy animals), Call of Cthulhu, and Deadlands (use rocks radiating soul power to resurrect the zombie corpse of Abe Lincoln to fight at your side, and then build a giant steampunk mecha powered by the same rocks).
  • Kill Puppies for Satan
    I don't believe this is a game that is actually meant to be played.
  • edited March 2010
    Kill Puppies for Satan
    I don't believe this is a game that is actually meant to be played.
    I've seen recorded playtests. I get the impression that you use it as a lighthearted buffer session between really hardcore sessions of other games (CoC, Paranoia Straight) in a single night.

Also, I REALLY want to play Poison'd. Lumpley Games rocks.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I've seen recorded playtests. I get the impression that you use it as a lighthearted buffer session between really hardcore sessions of other games (CoC, Paranoia Straight) in a single night.
    I have a copy of Kill Puppies for Satan, and I believe those recorded sessions are fabricated.
  • I have a copy of Kill Puppies for Satan, and I believe those recorded sessions are fabricated.
    I swear I've seen valid sessions online. RPG.net ran a session and seemed to really enjoy it.
  • I would like to at least get my hands on Kill puppies for Satan, and read it. I don't believe it's the greatest game, but if I'm not totally wrong it's Vincent Bakers first published game. But I'm more interested in Vincent's later games and I have word or two to say about Dogs in the Vineyard, but not now, because of Geekchat.
  • @Sail: The game where Dinosaurs piss heroin?
    I believe so.