This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Warning: Steam Users in the Geeknights Group

edited March 2010 in Video Games
Quick reminder, if a "person" you've never heard of in the Geeknights group messages you and asks you to enter your username and password on a site that *looks* like the Steam Community homepage in exchange for a free game, DON'T DO IT.

I won't embarrass him/her by using his/her name, but another forum user fell for this trick and I figure it doesn't hurt to remind everyone to check the URL before you enter account information of any type anywhere.

Comments

• Admit it, it was you :-p Yea anytime a user gives you a link to any site that seems to have an "adjusted" url, don't go!
  • Yea anytime a user gives you a link to any site that seems to have an "adjusted" url, don't go!
    Anytime anyone sends you a link in any non-standard medium for said link, especially if it's out-of-context, never respond regardless of its purported content.

Basically, except for emails to your actual email address, IMs to your normal IM address, twitterlikes, and links on web pages, you should never click on a link. Anyone sending you a link on, say, Steam, is going out-of-band, and it's a pretty safe and sane policy to ignore a link there.

Only process data that comes to you in a context you expect and in a form you expect for said context. Don't take a string when you normally only take integers: it means something is wrong with your input.
  • Shame we don't know who was perpetrating the villainy. Internet justice could be awesome.
  • I got one too. :P I just blocked him and didn't think another thing about it. I did notice he was a member of the geeknights steam group though.