This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

James Randi is Gay

edited March 2010 in Everything Else
Comin' out of the closet at the ripe old age of 81.

So awesome.

Also, for some reason it makes me lol.

Comments

• Holy shit!

Congrats to Mr. Randi.
  • So awesome.

Also, for some reason it makes me lol.
    Can't sum this up any better.
  • I so don't care.
  • Good for him, but the only real reaction anyone should give is that it doesn't matter in the slightest to anything.
  • edited March 2010
    Good for him, but the only real reaction anyone should give is that it doesn't matter in the slightest to anything.
    Yeah, seriously. In the battle for gay rights, someone coming out must not be treated as super important. I mean, a long time ago, and in some modern situations, it is commendable, for sure. But here in America, where it is no longer illegal and has a lot of growing support...The fight to treat gays equally isn't won by putting them on a pedestal. So he's gay...Isn't it the whole point of gay rights that this isn't special or out of the ordinary?
    Post edited by Axel on
  • It really doesn't surprise me at all. Still single at 81 with no history of any open relationship with any ladies? It would be more surprising if he wasn't gay. I wonder if it also had something to do with the new president of the JREF being openly gay too.
  • Isn't it the whole point of gay rights that this isn't special or out of the ordinary?
    Isn't the other point that people should be encouraged not to have to hide who they are?
  • Isn't it the whole point of gay rights that this isn't special or out of the ordinary?
    Isn't the other point that people should be encouraged not to have to hide who they are?
    Certainly, but it shouldn't elicit an "Awesome!" response. It's not awesome that he's gay, that doesn't make him special. It's perfectly normal that he's gay. That's my point. Sometimes when people praise someone for coming out it feels that they're actually saying the fact that he's gay is awesome, and sometimes they mean it that way.
  • I think James is awesome. And he's gay. And it's awesome he's finally come out.
  • It's not awesome that he's gay, that doesn't make him special.
    No, it's not awesome that he's gay -- it's awesome that he's willingly opening himself to discrimination, abuse and maybe even violence, for the sake of being honest about who he is, and that he's becoming another example of a prominent, respectable person who is also gay. The simple fact is that if everyone who was closeted came out tomorrow, discrimination against gays would disappear practically overnight. This is one more step toward that, and it should be congratulated.
  • It's not awesome that he's gay, that doesn't make him special.
    No, it's not awesome that he's gay -- it's awesome that he's willingly opening himself to discrimination, abuse and maybe even violence, for the sake of being honest about who he is, and that he's becoming another example of a prominent, respectable person who is also gay. The simple fact is that if everyone who was closeted came out tomorrow, discrimination against gays would disappear practically overnight. This is one more step toward that, and it should be congratulated.
    Well, alright then.
  • it should be congratulated.
    Damn straight. Homosexuals need not be shunned; anyone can love whoever they want to love.
  • Isn't the other point that people should be encouraged not to have to hide who they are?
    No longer hating homosexuals is already encouragement if you ask me. Oh wait, USA.

I guess congratulations to Mr. Randi for ending a battle of bullshit.
  • it's awesome because he's 81 years old.
  • it's awesome because he's 81 years old.
    This. Better late than never.
  • I hope you don't leave it until you are 81 before you come out, Scott.
  • A winner is him.
  • Yes, all of the above.
  • Not surprised, really.
  • Ah, James Randi. It must have taken quite a bit of courage to come out like that.

I wonder how many people will attempt to use his sexuality to invalidate his work. Probably some, hopefully none.
  • Definitely some, hopefully none.
  • What's the point of hoping, then?
  • James Randi... Top or Bottom?
  • James Randi... Top or Bottom?
    I should have known that this was going to come... up.

YEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
  • Very glad for him and it just makes him even more awesome in my book.
    Though I was a bit sad to hear in the podcast he was on his wish for marriage but that his being in Florida precludes that idea entirely. Yet another reminder that we still have a long way to go.
    James Randi... Top or Bottom?
    I should have known that this was going to come... up.

YEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
    You forgot 'versatile'. :p
    But who knows and whats the point of any speculation really?
  • I saw this on Fark and immediately thought of Rym & Scott. He's a little old for Rym though...
  • edited March 2010
    it's awesome because he's 81 years old.
    Some guys dig the oldies. Anyway, why not!
    James Randi... Top or Bottom?
    My opinion as a fujoshi is that he would be an aggressive uke(bottom).

...You know...I DO NOT want to see doujin of this.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • How I read Viga's post:
    My professional opinion as a registered and accredited fujoshi is that would be an aggressive uke(bottom).
  • Myprofessionalopinion as aregistered and accreditedfujoshi is that would be an aggressive uke(bottom).
    It is officially now your duty to make such statements for each male member of this forum. Go, resident Fujoshi. Fulfill your destined duties!