This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

Comments

• "It's popular, you want it because it's popular!"
    Wasn't this always the case with children?
  • I wonder if that Yoshi's Island is the Super Mario World 2 or the other Yoshi's Island. It's the Yoshi's Island port for the GBA, the one with six bonus stages and changed Yoshi noises so that he has the same noises as in Yoshi's Story as opposed to the classic ones. If your nostalgia isn't huge enough to make you disregard a game entirely based on sound effects, it's the Yoshi's Island you know and love from the SNES.
  • It's the Yoshi's Island port for the GBA, the one with six bonus stages and changed Yoshi noises so that he has the same noises as in Yoshi's Story as opposed to the classic ones. If your nostalgia isn't huge enough to make you disregard a game entirely based on sound effects, it's the Yoshi's Island you know and love from the SNES.
    Oh mans. This changes things for me.
  • "It's popular, you want it because it's popular!"
    Wasn't this always the case with children?
    Apple has taken it to a whole new level, I think. Yes, I wanted a Nintendo when I was little, but if I had gotten a Sega Master System or a Genesis I wouldn't have thrown a fit. I've talked to people who absolutely refuse to get anything but an ipod, even if another play would do exactly what they need for a third of the cost and with no hit on quality.
  • I've talked to people who absolutely refuse to get anything but an ipod, even if another play would do exactly what they need for a third of the cost and with no hit on quality.
    We've discussed this before, but the iPod does lots of little things that the other players just don't get right. Little interface details that make a huge difference, but won't show up on any spec sheet. The example I always bring up is you can play a podcast/audiobook, pause, sync with iTunes, then play in iTunes and it picks up where you left off. Then pause and sync to the iPod and it picks up where you left off on the iPod. So far, nothing else does that, but it makes a humongous difference to people who listen to long form audio.

Also, while many phones out there are catching up to the iPhone, even the glorious Nexus S has crappy Android media playing software. Google Listen does podcasts, sure. But what do you use for mp3s and videos? If you wanted to watch an entire 26 episode anime on your Android phone, what software do you use? I've watched multiple series on the iPhone in the iPod app. Despite other mobile phones meeting, or even surpassing, the iPhone in many categories, they still all suck at being portable media players. If I got an Android phone, I would probably need an iPod nano to go with it. The fact that the iPhone is one device that is a smart phone AND an iPod, still puts it on top.
  • I've talked to people who absolutely refuse to get anything but an ipod, even if another play would do exactly what they need for a third of the cost and with no hit on quality.
    We've discussed this before, but the iPod does lots of little things that the other players just don't get right. Little interface details that make a huge difference, but won't show up on any spec sheet. The example I always bring up is you can play a podcast/audiobook, pause, sync with iTunes, then play in iTunes and it picks up where you left off. Then pause and sync to the iPod and it picks up where you left off on the iPod. So far, nothing else does that, but it makes a humongous difference to people who listen to long form audio.

Also, while many phones out there are catching up to the iPhone, even the glorious Nexus S has crappy Android media playing software. Google Listen does podcasts, sure. But what do you use for mp3s and videos? If you wanted to watch an entire 26 episode anime on your Android phone, what software do you use? I've watched multiple series on the iPhone in the iPod app. Despite other mobile phones meeting, or even surpassing, the iPhone in many categories, they still all suck at being portable media players. If I got an Android phone, I would probably need an iPod nano to go with it. The fact that the iPhone is one device that is a smart phone AND an iPod, still puts it on top.
    These people do not listen to podcasts, and if they do, I recommend players that resume podcasts and audiobooks. The Sansa Clip + does that and it is $50 at Best Buy, less if you go online. Zunes will carry the status of a podcast among Zunes if you have multiple. MoboPlayer for Android plays everything I throw at it except for my 1080p F1 files, and that's more a limitation of the power of my Droid Incredible 2. For music, audiobooks, and podcasts, I use Mortplayer Audio Book, it works quite well if you like folder browsing. If you don't, the default music player I have is fine, but I think it's done by HTC, not Google. Amazon Mp3 works well for playing music and lets you access any music you buy on their site from the cloud, saving space.
  • If Nintendo is doing this badly, Sony might want to cut their losses already.
  • But what do you use for mp3s and videos?
    For music, the aptly named "Music" app that came with my Android OS. For videos... damned good question.
  • The Sansa Clip + does that and it is $50 at Best Buy, less if you go online.
    Ok, seriously dude? Are you seriously going to tell me that these two products are comparable?

One of them has a full color high resolution touch screen. The other has a UI comparable to the iPod mini, which was the best SEVEN years ago.

Have you actually used iTunes/iPod for any extended time period? It's much like democracy. It sucks, but it's the best.
  • edited July 2011
    I will tell you that the Sansa Clip +(not that one, that's the original Clip, which was also good) is an excellent mp3 player. It's expandable, you can add up to 32 gigs of memory through micro SD, it plays more useful file formats than the Nano(mp3, wma, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, and WAV), Sandisk players have had the radio since the first one I got back in 2006, AND you can record to file. You can designate anything you like as a podcast or audiobook simply by putting them in the folder(occasionally badly tagged files will need to have their genre set to podcast, but that is a very minor quibble) so if you find some dirt cheap audiobooks on CD, or you want to mark a radio broadcast of an F1 race as a podcast so you have resumability should you want a break from Vettel to listen to the Beatles, you're all set. The Clip is easy to use and super intuitive. The menu goes up and down and to select things, you just press the middle button. Want to go back? Just hit menu. The Nano needs another button or two because too much is non obvious on the player. The Nano is flash over substance, whereas the Clip is all substance with very little flash. I have used iTunes. I really wanted to like the iPod Touch I got from my friend. I really tried to make it work, but iTunes is an awful piece of software, I don't know how you put up with it, as picky as you are. Have you used a Sansa Clip +? Have you used a Zune?
    EDIT: Oh, and while I'm at it, it is retarded that iPods are tied to only one computer if you want to be able to delete content off it without wiping the whole thing. Speaking of my iPod Touch, I can't update it all right now because the power cord for my laptop got damaged and I'm waiting for a replacement. You saw my laptop at PAX East and Anime Boston, it does not last long on battery, so updating without the power cable is no good. Meanwhile, when I built my desktop computer, I transferred all my music from my laptop to my desktop by having my Zune dump its musical guts into the desktop. I can take that Zune to any computer, install Zune software, and add or delete content. I can do that with any other mp3 player, smartphone, etc. Only Apple stuff doesn't let me do that and there's NO GOOD REASON.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • It's true you can't do those things. And I understand that people want to be able to just access the file system directly. I also want to do that, but you know what? I have so much fucking media, that managing it via the file system is just not feasible. If I had a media player that used a file system instead of the iTunes library, it would take so fucking long to organize that shit, I would have to pay someone to do it. In which case, I'm better off just paying extra for an iPod.

Also, Sansa Clip +. Still looks like it's from 2004. Also, did I mention it's way bigger than iPod nano. Size matters.

• It's functional. Isn't it way more important that the player DO awesome things than look awesome? Also, I'm sorry, it's not that much bigger. Here's proof.
  • I still don't see what was wrong with this.
    Which model is that one?
    Which model is that one?
    I'd guess 4th or 5th gen? I had a 3rd gen, but I don't remember it having color.
  • So, this year I've been trying to do a bit more creating. Along with the podcast that no one seemed to listen to, I have now made a very short video comparing the Sansa Clip+ in size to a few other things, including the oh so popular iPod Touch. I would have done more of a feature check, but I could not find a way to get good lighting and have that screen show up without being blurry as heck. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them, I would have no problem with making another video, perhaps even making a little series where I go through features of players I own.

For some reason the very beginning of the video is a bit messed up but the rest of it works fine.
  • ...How did the 3DS thread turn into a discussion on iPod vs. competitors? Jeez, people.
  • I cant believe that someone on this forum is actually promoting a Sansa product. Yeesh.

Also, 3DS. Excellent price point. This was a great move for Nintendo, especially since they will be coming out with a slew of great games by the end of the year.
  • ...How did the 3DS thread turn into a discussion on iPod vs. competitors? Jeez, people.
    Because the iPod 3D is going to have games to rival the 3DS.
  • There's gonna be an iPod 3D? Am I the only one who doesn't think 3D improves everything ever?
  • There's gonna be an iPod 3D? Am I the only one who doesn't think 3D improves everything ever?
    Careful, you might break the space station out of how high that joke flew over your head.
  • edited July 2011
    Because the iPod 3D is going to have games to rival the 3DS.
    Considering the difference in price of games, Android and iOS will probably bury them in time.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited July 2011
    I just want to weigh in on the 3DS' battery life now that I've had it for a while.

I honestly don't notice that it has less battery life than my DS did. The battery lasts me about a week of casual gameplay. I literally had mine on the entire weekend of AX and I think I only had to charge it once. The real saving grace is that the 3DS basically uses zero battery while on sleep mode, as well as the fact that the wireless is easy to turn off via switch on the side when not in use. I fully expected to have to shell out for the battery expansion, but I now do not see it as necessary.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • 3DS NES games will have multiplayer. Does that mean Excitebike will be eventually updated to Excitebike Vs.?
  • Well my brother is home from Afghanistan and got me a 3DS for my belated birthday. So I get a free 3DS. No complaints here.

I picked up Bust-A-Move Universe.
  • Friend codes time!

2621-2721-7406
  • Friend codes time!

2621-2721-7406
    Added you. Mine is 4811-7092-1029
  • Ro, Currently Playing: Health and Safety Information
  • Ro, Currently Playing: Health and Safety Information
    Well this old biddy has to make sure to be safe!

I've been trying to figure out how to get to the eShop since I didn't see the icon and figured I needed to do a system update.

I forget, do we get any free downloadables when you purchase it or will I just have to wait for when I become an "Ambassador"?