This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

Comments

• Probably that, yeah. Note that they have not announced 4U for the WiiU, I'm pretty sure they recognize that ship has sailed.
  • 3ds monster hunter seems to be partially built from existing code or something so it was probably shitty design. Their character transfer is a separate app for god sakes.
  • So has anyone played the new Yoshi? I need to pick it up and add it to my pile of games collecting dust, because that's what I do.
  • No but I've heard its average and it looks average. Even people who think it should have reviewed better only think it should be slightly above what the reviews say, which is still average.
  • johndis said:

Is there an actual reason 3U doesn't have online mp?? or is it literally to give rabid fans a reason to buy a wiiu?

4 Ult will have OMP. But to answer your question, nobody quite knows why.
  • MATATAT said:

No but I've heard its average and it looks average. Even people who think it should have reviewed better only think it should be slightly above what the reviews say, which is still average.

Yeah, I'm trusting reviews on this one as well. Pass.

Stick to the GBA version of Yoshi Island if you want to relive your childhood. Or the SNES version if you want to be extra authentic.

Layton VS Phoenix Wright looks like my next game.

• I bought it just because. I've only played 3 levels so far. It's basically more of the same with a few changes here and there. Same type of levels where you collect the stars, coins, and flowers. They mixed it up with having Giant eggs Yoshi can throw to destroy barriers and pipes.

There is also a Gryo control mode where you tilt the 3DS to aim the egg throw. You also have to tilt the 3DS when Yoshi transforms into vehicles.

I'm digging it. It's more of what I want with some new stuff. No complaints so far.
  • I've been considering picking up the SNES version of Yoshi's Island. I've not played the GBA version but generally had awful experiences with the GBA ports of Mario games, because I am an unreasonable person and get bothered when they change things, like a lot of the graphics in Mario 2. I don't know what they did/didn't change in Yoshi's Island on GBA, but I remember hearing that they gave Yoshi the ***HHHHRRRRNNNGGGGGHH**** noise.
  • I have the SNES ROM. Free version is best version.
  • Oh, I did buy a Yoshi 3DSXL though. I happened to be in Target and saw them sitting there with a $30 gift card w/ purchase. I said what the hell, bought it, and it's going on the shelf. Most of the limited edition 3DSs are going for a solid chunk of change over their retail value, so I figure I'll eBay it in a year, or if my or my wife's 3DS shits the bed, we'll just open it.
  • Yes, but the SNES version and play it. It's $30 used on Amazon. Worth it.
  • Apreche said:

video

Some of these egg shots are ridiculous
  • Blattus said:

Apreche said:

video

Some of these egg shots are ridiculous
    Welcome to speed run community. Everyone is ridiculous.
  • In awe of that dude. He didn't touch any fuzziez. Baller.
  • edited April 2014
    Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball - From reading this piece on Wired I'm very interested in this game that is A) fun to play and skill-based, B) free-to-play without a collectible hook, pay-to-win, or overly-aggressive difficulty walls, and C) contains gameplay that actually benefits from being played with the 3DS's stereoscopic 3D cranked up.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Matt said:

Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball - From reading this piece on Wired I'm very interested in this game that is A) fun to play and skill-based, B) free-to-play without a collectible hook, pay-to-win, or overly-aggressive difficulty walls, and C) contains gameplay that actually benefits from being played with the 3DS's stereoscopic 3D cranked up.

It is also oddly depressing if you take the story too seriously.
  • Personal Dilemma: I don't have a 3DS, and have been wanting one for a while. I finally decided I'm going to pull the trigger, and lo and behold they announce the NEW 3DS with the upgraded hardware to be released in Japan before EOY, no release date yet for the 'States. Do I go ahead and pull the trigger on buying a new XL, and then sell it off later when I upgrade to the new hardware, or do I just hold my horses and wait for some nebulous release date in the future?
  • Personal Dilemma: I don't have a 3DS, and have been wanting one for a while. I finally decided I'm going to pull the trigger, and lo and behold they announce the NEW 3DS with the upgraded hardware to be released in Japan before EOY, no release date yet for the 'States. Do I go ahead and pull the trigger on buying a new XL, and then sell it off later when I upgrade to the new hardware, or do I just hold my horses and wait for some nebulous release date in the future?

Do you want to play Smash immediately when it comes out? I predict the new 3DS will be early next year in the US. It's wait-able.
  • Apreche said:

Do you want to play Smash immediately when it comes out? I predict the new 3DS will be early next year in the US. It's wait-able.

I've never been a huge fan of the Smash series, so that's not even on my radar. Plus I've seen horror shots of people's damaged DS units with broken sliders from them playing Smash that made me throw down a big, fat NOPE on picking up any game that could potentially cause that kind of wear-and-tear on a console I own. I think I'll probably end up waiting. I don't have any desperate reason to pick up one right this second, other than a free code for Gunvolt (courtesy of Mighty No. 9) that's burning a hole in my pocket, and if that doesn't expire then I have no reason to rush.
  • I personally had plans to buy 3DS this fall, but after I heard about the new model, I decided to wait, as I have no real reason not to.
  • Apreche said:

I've never been a huge fan of the Smash series, so that's not even on my radar. Plus I've seen horror shots of people's damaged DS units with broken sliders from them playing Smash that made me throw down a big, fat NOPE on picking up any game that could potentially cause that kind of wear-and-tear on a console I own. I think I'll probably end up waiting. I don't have any desperate reason to pick up one right this second, other than a free code for Gunvolt (courtesy of Mighty No. 9) that's burning a hole in my pocket, and if that doesn't expire then I have no reason to rush.
    If you don't play it like a fucking maniac then I think you'll be fine. I'm dubious that the new 3DS will be worth getting. Maybe it will. The GB Color had a pretty strong following but Nintendo was a different beast then. I'm dubious whether they'll actually have any support behind it with games. Since it seems close enough I would say wait but I don't know that it'll make a difference in the long run.
  • I vote wait.
  • Yeah, I'm settled on getting it if my 3ds kicks the bucket, which seeing how I carry it around everywhere, is a distinct possibility.
  • Yeah, I'm settled on getting it if my 3ds kicks the bucket, which seeing how I carry it around everywhere, is a distinct possibility.

Ah, a classic maneuver known as "The Rym." Avoid feeling bad about buying new hardware by physically breaking the old hardware.
  • "How did it fall out the window of my apartment you ask? Well I put it where I normally do, right on the windowsill..."
  • I'll probably by Smash close to Day one on 3DS I have always enjoyed that game and they included Ness :-p
  • Cremlian said:

I'll probably by Smash close to Day one on 3DS I have always enjoyed that game and they included Ness :-p

I pre-ordered it from Amazon.
  • Demo should be available in eShop tomorrow BTW. Apparently people have had it for a week+ already because they gave 4 codes to Platinum members of Club Nintendo in some email promotion. I didn't get shit!
  • I was only a Gold member. But I'll get the demo tomorrow. My copy has been pre-ordered for a few weeks now. Waiting for the Wii U launch date to pre-order that version (with the Gamecube adapter + controller bundle).