This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

Comments

• I've had no experience with any of those games. Does one need to have knowledge of the Persona stories to understand this game?
  • Not at all, but if you don't have the connection to the characters you're better off playing Etrian Odyssey IV instead.

Besides that, I find the Persona Games fantastic. If you do plan to play those I'd recommend starting with 3, as playing 4 will spoil some of the more aged mechanics of 3.
  • Everything you need to know about Persona games:
  • Haha, yeah, alright. I don't even need to click that. I've watched it too many times. I wish they'd made more.
  • The ending was the best.
  • So you don't have to start with Shin Megami Tensei on the Super Famicom and work your way up from there?
  • edited November 2014
    I don't know that any SMT game is connected to another one. The various facets of the series just have sorta different play mechanics and they all have the same weird ass Pokemon. I liked Persona 4 even though I didn't beat it. They're a bit grindy and somewhat rely on you having certain Pokemans for certain battles.

Persona Q will probably want you to know the characters and events at least. Also Etrian Odyssey like regularly goes on sale on the Nintendo Store, I would just buy that game.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Matt said:

So you don't have to start with Shin Megami Tensei on the Super Famicom and work your way up from there?

No no no. You start with the original Megami Tensei games. You are allowed to play the snes remakes if you are a baby and can't handle the raw nes action.

Reading the books those games are based on is also recommended, to properly get the backstory.

• edited November 2014
    Pfft, Persona is a spinoff of the mainline Shin Megami Tensei series, which it in itself is a spinoff of Megami Tensei. The games are connected, but only if you're willing to read scarily deep into the games. The Persona series, while each independent stories, take place in the same timeline and universe and are only now beginning to converse.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Rym said:

Everything you need to know about Persona games:

Not quite everything:
  • Kinda reminds me of:
  • So is anyone out there into Monster Hunter? 4U is slated for release on February 13th, and this one will actually have online multiplayer through the 3DS! I'm pretty jazzed about that.
  • I'm all about monster hunter since the second one. I even preordered the MH N3DS for it. It's not such a bad deal considering that after selling my old XL it only costed me $70. :D
  • I got some demo codes for MH 4U so I will try it out on the weekend.
  • I'm planning to get a 3DS XL LL AWOL MIA VIP KP ROFLMAO later in the year, so I might pick up a copy around then if I have the spare cash.
  • Oh, in case any one wants to try MH 4U here are some codes:
    A070SYC80F6H94MU
    A070NSM70KA0GHSN
    A07052RM0N930MVT
  • Aren't these EU only?
  • If I sell my 3ds I'll probably need to sell it with a charge cable. They're only like 10 bucks from Nintendo themselves. But I also just found one at goodwill for $3 this evening.

Gamestop apparently has a deal for getting $100 but I have a tough time justifying selling anything to gamestop these days. Last time I did that was like high school sometime.
  • Buy third party USB charging cables from the Internet.
  • Apreche said:

Buy third party USB charging cables from the Internet.

USB charging doesn't charge as quickly for various reasons. They typically (regardless of the power source) won't charge a 3DS while you're using it.
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

Buy third party USB charging cables from the Internet.

USB charging doesn't charge as quickly for various reasons. They typically (regardless of the power source) won't charge a 3DS while you're using it.
    It charges enough.
  • Note to sell: do not buy things from Scott.
  • I was going to upgrade my 3DS but really don't like the XL size. Regular fits in my jean pockets, and interior jacket pockets. I also have small hands (no joke: wedding ring size 6.5, smaller than the average female hand size of a 7. Had to special order)

I want to be disappointed in Nintendo, but this makes sense for them. XL outsells regular 3-to-1 in Japan, so I cannot even imagine the ratio here. Plus, only US has the 2DS as the low cost option. With sales trending downward, its hard to support 3 SKUs. Lastly, the New 3DS regular size has removable faceplates. It's possible that Nintendo can't command the retail shelf space anymore to support that AND Amiibo.
  • edited January 2015
    I love the XL, but I also big hands and big pockets.

The N3DSXL seems neat with the additional analog stick and extra buttons, but I don't think I'll be upgrading soon. If I really really need the extra stick and buttons, I can grab a Circle Pad Pro.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I love the XL, but I also big hands and big pockets.

The N3DSXL seems neat with the additional analog stick and extra buttons, but I don't think I'll be upgrading soon. If I really really need the extra stick and buttons, I can grab a Circle Pad Pro.

The New 3DS is basically the DSi. It's going to have a few games that the regular 3DS won't have, but that's no big deal. Wait for the 4DS which will play everything.
  • I'm keeping my Judith Edition 3DS until they pry it out of my cold, dead fingers.

Or until it stops working and I need a new one, I guess.
  • I'm probably going to go for the new XL, because my normal-size 3DS gets uncomfortable during longer play sessions. Also, it gets hard to see what's going on in Smash on some stages.
  • What would the world be like with NS2 local play on the 3DS

Rock Paper Scissors for the comm
  • The N3DSXL seems neat with the additional analog stick and extra buttons, but I don't think I'll be upgrading soon. If I really really need the extra stick and buttons, I can grab a Circle Pad Pro.

I usually forget that the extra buttons are even there, and the nubbly thing feels weird to use (there's no to it give at all), but works pretty well. The biggest difference is that the 3D doesn't give me brain pain.