This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100323 - PAX East Survival Guide

edited March 2010 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we bring you a survival guide for PAX East 2010. We also discuss Nintendo's 3DS and leadership lessons.

Rym's Thing - 32 Songs in 8 Minutes
Scott's Thing - Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Rym's Thing -32 Songs in 8 Minutes
    I guess if you hadn't seen this, you haven't seen the new sequel to this he just came out with?

Post edited by Apreche on
  • Don't we already create content out of flamewars in this forum?
  • This episode was the epitome of Fast Karate for the Geeknights halfway through
  • edited March 2010
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • It's PAX Prime guys, not PAX West...other than that, I will be using this advice heavily.
  • Rage_fueled_jetpacks.jpg
  • It's PAX Prime guys, not PAX West
    Fuck them!
  • It's PAX Prime guys, not PAX West
    Considering they poorly decided on the plural "Paxis" when "Paces" would have been preferable, I put little stock into their silly naming. It is PAX West and PAX Best henceforth.
  • Also, 1 by definition is not prime...just sayin.
  • If PAX West is Pax Prime, then Pax East is PAXimus Maximus.
  • PAXimus Maximus
    I like it. Let's keep it.
  • Nice review of PAX East!

Oh wait, it's not happened yet.
  • Scott, there are 3 first-party Nintendo games coming out this summer. Super Mario Galaxy on May 23rd, Sin and Punishment: Star Sucessor on June 7th, and Metroid: Other M on June 27th. The new Zelda is supposedly coming out at the end of the year.
  • Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. Really wanted to but I haven't started earning vacation time from my new federal government job yet.

Also loved hearing Rym singing Billie Jean. Nice singing voice.
  • Scott, there are 3 first-party Nintendo games coming out this summer. Super Mario Galaxy on May 23rd, Sin and Punishment: Star Sucessor on June 7th, and Metroid: Other M on June 27th. The new Zelda is supposedly coming out at the end of the year.
    Yeah, I mentioned all of those except S&P;, which I never heard of. It's intriguing, though, because it's from Treasure. Everything we said in the show still applies. Not enough ultra high quality first party titles.
  • edited March 2010
    DDR 4th Mix

EDIT: You know, I've been thinking. What's going to happen to the cell phone data networks a couple tens of thousands of geeks descend on Boston?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Yeah, I mentioned all of those except S&P;, which I never heard of.
    The first one is on the Virtual Console, it's pretty good but the control scheme is really weird.
  • Great episode, laughed out loud a few times, got some funny looks from my wife :)

The DS is such a little work horse, if only the Wii could take up the mantle.
    Clash of heroes is a fantastic game, glad it got a mention.
  • I figure there ought to be some multiplayer Clash of Heroes at PAX, no?
  • I figure there ought to be some multiplayer Clash of Heroes at PAX, no?
    Probably.
  • What about the remake of Cave Story, that was just released this week and if I had monies I would buy it and play it in a heartbeat.
  • Cave Story's not first party, though.
  • edited March 2010
    Are we counting re-makes? Cave story isn't super long either.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I guess if you hadn't seen this, you haven't seen the new sequel to this he just came out with?
    I had, but I didn't recognize most of the songs, so it had no impact. The one I linked to was much more in line with my style.
  • Did you guys edit this episode? Rym singing Billy Jean at 36:42. TeeeHeehe.
  • Did you guys edit this episode? Rym singing Billy Jean at 36:42. TeeeHeehe.
    It is actually rare that we edit anything at all out these days. All of our effort is going toward the rapidly approaching video content. ^_~
  • edited March 2010
    I guess if you hadn't seen this, you haven't seen the new sequel to this he just came out with?
    I had, but I didn't recognize most of the songs, so it had no impact. The one I linked to was much more in line with my style.
    I recognised something like half, but they made up for it by whistling the X-Files theme and then singing Firefly.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • TV Theme Melody Video
    The Naruto part is pretty awesome. Wasn't expecting that good of a Japanese singing accent.
  • I know Rym & Scott are not fans of mall food court, but with the crappy weather on Friday, and convenience and price, the food court wasn't half bad. I mostly at the Boston Chowda shop because my throat has been hurting and nothing like a hot bowl of clam chowda to make it feel better. I also went to the Indian place, and it was really good. Too bad I couldn't finish it because I was so full.

I will say that having Trader Joe's and Walgreens across the main entrance was a god send. The consumption of Trader Joe's oatmeal chocolate cookies took place many a time.

However, I did go out eat with many FRC at a Greek place called Steve's. The food was amazing for the price.

Other than that, most of what you said I can agree with. However, as a PAX veteran, I never went to the Expo Hall or attended any of the concerts. I'm not saying the concerts are worth it, but I'd rather play games and meet new people.
  • All I have to say is that scrym's advice to avoid the T is quite silly. Aside from the crazy dude who screamed at everyone to wake up, it was perfectly fine.