This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

High Fructose Corn Syrup

RymRym
edited March 2010 in Everything Else
It looks like we were right on this.

More studies to follow.

Comments

• It's interesting, especially since this contradicts some earlier studies that say that there's little difference. I'd like to see more studies, and maybe a mechanism that this works by. Why would it be different than Sucrose?
  • Why would it be different than Sucrose?
    Sucrose is a different molecule.

From what I gather, HFCS is processed by the body differently than Sucrose or Glucose alone. The fructose inhibits the "I'm full" feeling, and increases blood levels of some other not-so-nice things, far moreso than sucrose would.
  • Yeah, but so far the general consensus has been that sucrose gets broken down into Fructose and Glucose quickly enough that the difference is negligible. At least, that's what I've been reading; it could be super duper wrong though, obviously.
  • The studies are mixed, from what I've read, but there are other articles on PubMed with similar results.

I'll reserve judgement until I can read the full text of the study.
  • Well that makes me feel better about giving up soda with HFCS for soda without it.
  • Back when I was doing an internship at GMA (Grocery Manufactures Association) my supervisor explained me that sugar is highly unstable in sodas and after a couple of months the sugar will hydrolyze into two monosaccharide. We were trying to obtain samples from different business in order to do a study in order to produce a more effective way to discover the adulteration level on orange juice, grape juice, apple juice, and pine apple juice by HPLC. Sugar refineries were very nice they gladly gave us some samples to run. However, when we approached the HFCS refineries they were very adamant (understandable since they have being getting a bad reputation recently).
    My family stopped drinking sodas with HFCS along time ago. Basically now drinking soda is a rarity and only when Pepsi Throwback is found or we find Original Coca Cola from "Mexico".
    Also, juices have a high content of HFCS and basically everything that we eat (according to Food, Inc)
  • I drink beer mostly now, but I'm going to reserve judgement until Pete reads the full text.
  • Water is the best drink.
    This.
    You're making me thirsty.
    Ahem.

• I drink beer mostly now
    Water is the best drink.
    Fermentation was often used to make water safe for drinking. Beer: truly the nectar of the gods.
    Fermentation was often used to make water safe for drinking. Beer: truly the nectar of the gods.
    Wine is better :P
  • I like my Chicha and Pisco too <3
  • This is just a storm in a teacup.
  • This is just a storm in a teacup.
    The correct terminology is tempest in a teapot.
  • edited March 2010
    You're both wrong. It's storm in een glas water.

EDIT: Alternatively, Буря в стакане.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • The correct terminology is tempest in a teapot.
    Yeah, but I photoshopped the image I posted, and just wanted an excuse to post it after the shot of the teacup earlier reminded me about making it.
  • Yeah, but I photoshopped the image I posted, and just wanted an excuse to post it after the shot of the teacup earlier reminded me about making it.
    Good Photoshop skills! I used Google image search.
  • Good Photoshop skills! I used Google image search.
    I second that. молодец! ([maladets] good job)