This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Man-tear Movies.

edited March 2010 in Everything Else
Men, You know what I'm talking about. This has happened to you:

You're watching a movie with your family, and suddenly you, and any other guy in the room, shed that single man-tear, but you do not make a single sound. Meanwhile, any woman in the room seeing this has no idea why "You Men" have all gotten so emotional suddenly. She does not understand; She can never understand. To her it's just a movie, but to a man, it is a movie that has such meaning, such impact, it is well worth that man-tear. We may not know why we shed the man-tear, but we know, deep down, that if we do not, we are not men, but the hollow shell of what should have been a man.

And It's not just American men, but men all across the globe know this feeling. The feeling we get when the iron stake, that has burrowed through our chests through the course of the movie, hits the chink in the armor that we use to guard our emotions so vigilantly, and forms a crack just big enough for that single man-tear.

Men, it is here where we impart on each other our favorite man-tear movies: For the betterment of Men-kind.

I submit to you, the classic Man-tear movie, "Field of Dreams" starring Kevin Costner. I will not post a trailer because no minute-and-a-half long clip can do justice to the epic-ness of this film.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    iron steak
    Is this what you meant? Nonetheless, steak is rather manly.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Iron makes things even manlier...But iron steak would be inedible. Still manly?
  • iron steak
    Is this what you meant? Nonetheless, steak is rather manly.
    Despite Steak being manly, I regret firefox's spell check not being able to correct for context.
  • I get misty all the time, over everything -- but the thing that gets me more than anything else is any kind of heroic self-sacrifice (or potential self-sacrifice). Like, the part in Forrest Gump where Forrest goes back to get Bubba? Man, that got me good. I think I mentioned in another thread that I was watching the Ken Burns WWII documentary -- I pretty much spent the whole 15 hours on the verge of tears.
  • Dudebro II: The Movie.
    Dudebro I was better.
    Dudebro I was better.
    I personally look forward to the TV series "Dawgdown: Smack in the Time of Broness!" by Nobel Laureate Gabriel García Márquez.
  • Dudebro I was better.
    As an action flick, but when Dudebro's bro died in Dudebro II is just tugged at my heart strings too much.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2010
    As an action flick, but when Dudebro's bro died in Dudebro II is just tugged at my heart strings too much.
    I didn't cry when he died. It didn't really hit home until the next scene, when Dudebro screamed "BROOOOOOOOO!" during the brodown. Then I lost it.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Dudebro.

It is already dawg time.

Oh no!
  • I didn't cry when he died. It didn't really hit home until the next scene, when Dudebro screamed "BROOOOOOOOO!" during the brodown. Then I lost it.
    Dude! You're gonna make me shed another man-tear bro!
  • Hokuto No Ken "The Movie" :P
  • E.T. Might not be a manly movie, but that moved me when I was a kid...and still does!
  • I Love You Man.
  • Anyone else cry when Dudebro kissed Dudettebra in Dudebro 3: The Bropocolypse?
  • I was disappointed. I wish they would have pursued the bromance subplot.
  • I always shed a single tear for Forrest Gump and Big Fish. Watch me recycle the image from the Fist of The North Star licence thread.
  • I am not a man, but perhaps someone with the proper genitalia to fulfill this criterion has shed man-tears during "The Fountain?"
  • Big Fish is an everyone tear movie. I suspect The Fountain is too, but I haven't seen it.
  • I am not a man, but perhaps someone with the proper genitalia to fulfill this criterion has shed man-tears during "The Fountain?"
    The Fountain didn't do it for me, but another Aronofski film, The Wrestler got me really damn close at the end.
  • edited March 2010
    I have shed a tear at the bromance in The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. But so did my sister, so maybe that doesn't count.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited March 2010
    The Wrestler - Man-tear.
    Big Fish - Man-tear.
    The Hurt Locker - Welling (but not fall) of a man-tear when (spoilers) Sanford cries and says he just wants a son and that he has nothing.

Dudebro Zero: Bildudesroman - When Dudebro has to mercy-kill his best friend Dawg McBraski with nothing but a Jeep Wrangler powerwinch and a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinkies because he got a C6 Fracture while windsurfhangwake-skimboarddirtbiking, so that he doesn't have to live an unrad life...Man-tear.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Riding Giants, a big wave surf documentary, and I noticed the man-tears a few times.
    E.T. Might not be a manly movie, but that moved me when I was a kid...and still does!
    Way to miss the point of the thread!
  • I am not a man
    EVERYTIME I SEE YOUR USERNAME I THINK YOU ARE AND THEN I REMEMBER. WHY MUST I REMEMBER?
  • EVERYTIME I SEE YOUR USERNAME I THINK YOU ARE AND THEN I REMEMBER. WHY MUST I REMEMBER?
    Have you ever been to Thailand?
  • High Octane Man-tear Fuel:

• High Octane Man-tear Fuel:
    TT___TT
  • Leon (AKA The professional) -> At the end from the time she goes down through the wall, to when Leon kills himself.
  • I have shed a tear at the bromance in The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. But so did my sister, so maybe that doesn't count.
    Everyone cried at the end of RotK for about 20 minutes straight, I have no doubt that Peter Jackson has some nefarious purpose for the millions of gallons of nerd tears he collected.

My submission however is Armageddon.
  • Everything is Illuminated and The Wrestler are my two major "man-tear" movies.

Big Fish makes me cry very girly tears, and I am not ashamed to admit that.