This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dwarf Fortress 2010

edited April 2010 in Video Games

Comments

• Nineless Just Came Glitter.
  • I thought it was a major update or something. XD
  • I thought it was a major update or something. XD
    Uhh, it is. It's been in development for almost two years now...
  • edited April 2010
    I know, I know, I was thinking of a massive update, I mean, that what I thought before memory caught up with speculation.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Is there a list of what all the new stuff is?
  • Is there a list of what all the new stuff is?
    Ask and you shall receive.
    Sadly he's on holiday, he'll be back within I think 1 or 2 days.
  • It's pretty fucking rad, folks. Did a little digging on a practice run - shit is going on down there. Fun times ahead.
  • Where are Linux and Mac versions? I don't have any Windows computers with me.
  • Soo.. Mouse controlled interface? Ability to scale the window to show more in-game area?
  • Where are Linux and Mac versions? I don't have any Windows computers with me.
    I think he said it would be about a week? I can't find it now, but that is what I thought I read somewhere yesterday. Until then you could try Wine, maybe?
  • Wine + DF = Slow as ass.
  • Is the UI any better?
  • edited April 2010
    Is the UI any better?
    You can use something like Stonesense or a graphics set if you want, but it's still the basic interface.

Other than that:
    Post edited by Andrew on
    Sadly he's on holiday, he'll be back within I think 1 or 2 days.
    I know. But this is Nine. Trust me, He came glitter anyway.
    Is the UI any better?
    Other than that:
    Actually, Since I'm not your usual flabby, pale /tg/nome I can actually dig. Maybe, if they played less dwarf fortress and got some exercise, They'd be able to swing a pickaxe or use a shovel like the rest of us.
  • When was the last time you were able to mine adamantine while simultaneously killing an ass-monster made of vomit with your pickaxe?
  • edited April 2010
    When was the last time you were able to mine adamantine while simultaneously killing an ass-monster made of vomit with your pickaxe?
    Well, to the best of my knowledge, you don't mine Adamantine, the closest you'd get would be mining Adamantine Spar, which is actually a form of Corundum, and as for killing things that are entirely fictional, I've a poor record.

However, I do have a whole bunch of Opals and Sapphires that I've dug out of the ground myself. Admittedly, some of them feel like cheating - at Coober Pedy, you can hardly take four steps without tripping over an opal (or falling down an old opal dig), but still, I mined them myself. Omnutia has seen them, and can verify that they exist.

And anyway, If a monster attacks a dorf while he's digging, the dig action is interrupted, isn't it?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • When was the last time you were able to mine adamantine while simultaneously killing an ass-monster made of vomit with your pickaxe?
    I'll see your vomit ass monster, and raise you one ass devil.

Beware its (ass) fire!
  • edited April 2010
    When was the last time you were able to mine adamantine while simultaneously killing an ass-monster made of vomit with your pickaxe?
    I hacked my way through a pit with a pickaxe on a mountain two miles above Guatemala and hauled dirt in buckets over a mile to help build a foundation for a building. While doing so, a rock under me shifted, and sent my foot into a nest of fire ants, which I then killed before they could swarm up my boots and jeans and assault my junk.

No adamantine, but plenty of digging, rock-mining, building, and encounters with vicious creatures.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The game does not run well on my system.
    Wait for the OpenGL development tree to be merged with mainline and celebrate playing at 20 FPS instead of 2.
    Wait for the OpenGL development tree to be merged with mainline and celebrate playing at 20 FPS instead of 2.
    And there will also be the inevitable slew of bugs that will be found out. Apparently, sometimes rain can cause your dorfs to melt. Never experienced that myself though.
  • And there will also be the inevitable slew of bugs that will be found out. Apparently, sometimes rain can cause your dorfs to melt. Never experienced that myself though.
    Another kind of funny one, falling into magma doesn't instantly burn your dorfs to a cinder, it just causes their body fat to melt off, and they then bleed to death or suffocate.
  • edited April 2010
    3PS
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I still laugh at "I don't need to see that, that shit makes me sad!"
  • Awesome tileset.
    I saw that when it just came out. Imho it makes the same mistakes as the tileset packaged with Mayday's creature graphics compilation does. And that is making ALL THE FUCKING BACKGROUNDS NON-BLACK SHIT. I really hate the ridiculous bullshit of having that inconsistent crap. I mean, just look at the example screenshots of that tileset. Fucking grey squares in your undiscovered mountain ranges. WTF? That shit looks ugly as hell. Not to mention, it takes what was supposed to merely break up monotony and turns it into annoyances. There is no fucking reason to make sentences unreadable with crap for punctuation.
  • So I didn't prepare carefully for the journey, because I am lazy. It started me with no seeds. How do I get some fuckin' food! Fishing and Hunting is not enough. Also, I need brew, and I already brewed everything I have that is brewable.
  • Awesome tileset.
    I saw that when it just came out. Imho it makes the same mistakes as the tileset packaged with Mayday's creature graphics compilation does. And that is making ALL THE FUCKING BACKGROUNDS NON-BLACK SHIT. I really hate the ridiculous bullshit of having that inconsistent crap. I mean, just look at the example screenshots of that tileset. Fucking grey squares in your undiscovered mountain ranges. WTF? That shit looks ugly as hell. Not to mention, it takes what was supposed to merely break up monotony and turns it into annoyances. There is no fucking reason to make sentences unreadable with crap for punctuation.
    There's a version with transparent backgrounds.
  • So I didn't prepare carefully for the journey, because I am lazy. It started me with no seeds. How do I get some fuckin' food! Fishing and Hunting is not enough. Also, I need brew, and I already brewed everything I have that is brewable.
    You may have the problem that you actually need to irrigate underground farms in this version, no matter what. Food was the first problem I ran into as well, as of yet I have not solved it.