This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2010

Comments

• I will also be there, I am making it a 2 week event where I will be up in Northern Idaho doing outdoorsy things, then go to Seattle for the weekend of PAX and then go back to Northern Idaho to do more outdoorsy things and maybe trick my dad into playing some games.
  • I'm still trying to decide on how much extra time I'm going to be spending in Seattle. I'm thinking 2-3 days just to give me time to fully explore the city.
  • I'm thinking 2-3 days just to give me time to fully explore the city.
    Not necessary. Seattle is small. There is a music festival that is always the same weekend as PAX. You'll miss most of it, which is the same time as PAX, but you can go on Monday. Other than that, you can see what you need to see in one day. I suggest seeing Seattle on Thursday, doing PAX, staying Monday, going home Tuesday.
  • I suggest seeing Seattle on Thursday, doing PAX, staying Monday, going home Tuesday.
    Pretty much what I was thinking. Some coworkers will be arriving Thursday night via car so I could be there to meet them at the airport as well. Will there be any official FRC shenanigans in or about PAX? I am still partial to the idea of some sort of flash mob.
  • I would get in as early as possible on Thursday. It's a travel day so it's pretty much a wash anyway, but you can drop your bags with the hotel prior to check in time and explore.
  • The flight I'm looking at would be leaving at ~7AM pacific and be landing ~9:30AM Pacific. I'll need to rail to the hotel and check in. If nothing else, coworkers should love me for taking care of check in for them so they can arrive and crash.
  • I am very jealous of your short flight! Coming from the east coast is a haul but at least I was able to grab an early morning direct flight at a great price out of Newark NJ. I have not been to PAX Prime before but I hear the new rail line makes travel much more comvenient.
  • This will be my first PAX. I'm really excited. As things can go up alleys, this is going to be directly up the middle of mine.
  • I plan on attending if I can find profitable employment in the near term/convince my friends to go so we can split a hotel room. It would be my first con.
  • For those who are going to be Enforcers this year. Roll call for taking on the black is due by June 30th. From what I've read, I don't think they are taking on new applicants, only past people who were Enforcers. FYI

Tabletop Represent! ^_~
  • Anyone have insider knowledge on why they haven't announced the dates for PAX east II....
  • Anyone have insider knowledge on why they haven't announced the dates for PAX east II....
    Haven't seen anything in the forums, but if I get any word, I'll send ya a whisper. ^_~

Also, I plan on bringing a slew of games this year to have Jeremy lug around or store in tabletop for whenever we are able to game.

So far my list of must brings are: Dominion (all expansions), Dixit (w/ expansion), Smallworld, Jungle Speed, Carcassonne, and perhaps Jungle Speed. I will probably buy Zooloretto by then as well. So for anyone who is down for gaming, let me know. Jeremy will be happy to teach you Dominion, since he's pretty much taught over 20 people already.
  • You said Jungle Speed twice. (hopes someone makes the Blazing Saddles joke)
  • You said Jungle Speed twice.
    She really likes Jungle Speed. ;-)
  • Dixit, on paper, doesn't look all that entertaining to me. I'll give it a go but it doesn't sound awesome. Jungle Speed is a game I know nothing about other than the short bit on the show about it. Again, doesn't sound like something up my avenue. Those other games, though, Tasty!
  • Whoops at Jungle Speed. ^^;;

I'll actually be playing Dixit for the first time tonight. I'm going to a game store tonight with some peoples and the store is sponsoring a Dixit game night and other games. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Concert lineup announced today:
    Anamanaguchi
    Jonathan Coulton
    Paul & Storm
    Metroid Metal
    MC Frontalot
    The Minibosses
    The Protomen

All the old standards. From the PAX East lineup, sub out Video Game Orchestra with The Minibosses and you've got the same group. I skipped The Protomen and Metroid Metal, and will probably do the same again this year. Anamanaguchi, MC Frontalot, JoCo, and Paul & Storm are all worth seeing multiple times, and I'm looking forward to checking out The Minibosses.
  • Not that I dislike any of these musical groups, but the same every PAX is getting a little long in the tooth. I enjoy the concerts, but I think I'm reaching the point where I would rather play more games than see the same concert for the fourth time. I'm thinking that I'm likely to skip all concerts at PAX. If they brought in some new acts, that would not be the case.

The one thing is that at each concert there are usually a few particularly funny moments, or unique happenings. The thing is, these moments are few and short. I can catch them later on YouTube or the PAX DVDs. It isn't worth standing for hours just to see them.

Now, if I could get my ass in the bean bags, that would be an entirely different story.
  • I would also be passing on these concerts if it was my fourth PAX. With PAXes selling out more than a month in advance, the number of new people is definitely going to drop as return-attendees know to snatch up all the tickets. Eventually they will have to fix it, but it might take a wake-up call one year where nobody shows up at the concerts to make it happen.
  • Concerts are great if it's groups/people you haven't seen already or it's your first or second time at PAX. I only went to the concert perhaps twice or stopped by to check it out, but did other things instead. As I've been doing for a few years now, just go game it up during that time or hit the bars. Or find a place where you can do some tabletop where this is alcohol.

I might actually check out the Minibosses since they haven't been to PAX for a while. It would be nice to see them perform live. Maybe they might have some new stuff.
  • Hey, do the three day passes to PAX run out quickly or do they usually last until the con?
  • If PAX East was any indication, they sell out quite fast. All that were left day of were Friday and Sunday day passes.
  • Hey, do the three day passes to PAX run out quickly or do they usually last until the con?
    Run out quickly, you should get them ASAP if you haven't already or for people you know.
    Run out quickly, you should get them ASAP if you haven't already or for people you know.
    Okay then. I'll buy two as soon as I can. I say two because My dad suggested something awesome...

He wants to go to PAX too and he wants us to drive there.
  • NICE, Sonic! That's epic! My dad hates that I'm a gamer! =D
  • Well, my dad is only going so he can meet some of the cast of star trek TNG. Apparently a few of them go to pax often.
  • Well, my dad is only going so he can meet some of the cast of star trek TNG. Apparently a few of them go to pax often.
    Will Wheaton and Levar Burton are pretty much dead certs, at the least.
    Levar Burton
    This man is relevant to my interests.
  • Big Readin Rainbow fan, eh?
  • Just some inside scoop info, here is the list of table top games that are going to be in tournament play: Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Carcassonne, Race for the Galaxy, Robo Rally, Pandemic, Smallworld, & Munchin.

This can change, however I doubt it. The Pandemic tournament sounds wicked.