This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2010

Comments

• A Pandemic or Munchkin tournament is pretty silly. Pandemic is very random, as even optimal play will often lose. Also, how will that even work? In a co-op game, it's possible, in fact it's very likely, that everyone will lose.

Munchkin is just random.
  • edited July 2010
    The rules for Pandemic Tourney-

Rounds:
    There will be three rounds total with each round becoming progressively harder (4 stacks, 5 stacks, 6 stacks). At the end of the round teams are awarded points based on performance (see below). At the end of each round every individual is awarded tournament points based on how well their team did that round (see below).

Teams:
    If a full team of four signs up to play they can choose to play as a team in the first round or in the final round, but they will be split up at random for at least two rounds. All non-team participants will be randomly assigned to a table for play.

The Deck:
    The deck will be created normally in each round.

Team Scoring:
    Team points scored based on the following factors: a win (20pts), number of cures (10 points each), number of outbreaks (-5 points each), cubes (1 point each).
    •In a win, the cards in the player draw pile (1 point each).
    •In a loss, the more cards USED, equals a better game, so count those used (in hands and in discard pile). One point for each cube left (off the board) with a maximum of 40 points for cubes.

Summary:
    • Win = 20 points
    • Cures = 10points each
    • Cards* = 1 point each
    • Cubes** = 1 point each (max 40 in loss)
    • Outbreaks = (-5) points each

*If a WIN: count # of player cards left undrawn in stack
    If a LOSS: count # of player cards drawn from stack
    **Win or Loss: count # cubes left in supplies (not on board)
    Maximum 40 points allowed for cubes in a loss.

Individual Scoring:
    All players are assigned tournament points:
    Highest scoring game = each player gains 1 tournament point for each game played in the round
    2nd highest = (1 tournament point for each game played in the round)-1
    3rd highest = (1 tournament point for each game played in the round)-2
    4th highest = (1 tournament point for each game played in the round)-3
    And so on until the lowest scoring team earns 1 point
    Players with highest tournament points at the end of 3 rounds of play win the tournament.
    It sounds good to me.

As for Munchkin, I've never played it, nor do I have the desire, but I feel it's probably there for the Munchin/Steve Jackson fans.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • As for Munchkin, I've never played it, nor do I have the desire, but I feel it's probably there for the Munchin/Steve Jackson fans.
    They should have a Pokemon CCG tournament instead, or does WotC have some sort of monopoly on all PAX CCG action?
  • They should have a Pokemon CCG tournament instead, or does WotC have some sort of monopoly on all PAX CCG action?
    I think so at least. I haven't heard or seen anything about CCG tourneys, so I'm going to say it's pretty safe to assume the same thing this year.
  • Just some inside scoop info, here is the list of table top games that are going to be in tournament play: Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Carcassonne, Race for the Galaxy, Robo Rally, Pandemic, Smallworld, & Munchin.

This can change, however I doubt it. The Pandemic tournament sounds wicked.
    Are you kidding?! That's too many good tournament and too little time! Wow! I want to learn new games, too! Damn it!
  • I remember a similar question being asked on the PAX forums a while back about WotC. WotC doesn't technically have a monopoly on anything, and the PAX staff can run whatever they want, but since WotC runs so many of their own events, the PAX staff is much more likely to focus on running games from other companies as to have more variety. They also said the same thing about Mayfair Games with regards to Settles of Catan.

The thread is actually open for people to request tournaments, and they're been compiling the results in the original post. Results so far:

" Suggestions so far - Number of requests:
    Race for the Galaxy - 6
    Ticket to Ride - 3
    Smallworld - 4
    Warhammer Fantasy - 1
    Chaos in the Old World - 3
    Twilight Imperium - 1
    Carcassonne - 2
    Fluxx - 2
    Revolution - 1
    Citadels - 1
    Space Hulk - 1
    Tichu - 1"

Someone actual suggested the Pokemon CCG, but the staff guy in the forum said he had heard a tournament was already being planned by some community members, so they did not want to step on their toes by having an official one. Would keep my eye on the thread if you're actually interested: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=120490
  • I don't see how it's toe-stepping to make an official one. Just take those community members, make them enforcers, and have them run it. Then you can actually help them out by getting the tournament on the schedule and giving them reserved space and prizes.
  • I would agree that it's probably every small event organizers wish to be picked up, recognized, and given the benefits of a presence on the official schedule. The toe-stepping line wasn't my addition though, here's the quote: "As for Pokemon, it is a possibility, but I have read here that some folks are trying to put together their own event. As a community run con, we try not to organize events and step on the toes of our guests."

Luckily I got out of CCGs right as Pokemon hit (my wallet thanked me), so I really don't have any stake in this, I just love talking about PAX.
  • For Enforcers, department sign-ups are up! You have until the end of July to request where you want to work. FYI.
  • Thursday is Pay Day! Friday I can buy my registration!
  • Anyone here partaking in PAX forum events? There's the pre-PAX dinner, the pub crawl, the post-PAX party, etc. I bought a ticket to the dinner on Thursday.
  • OK kids looks like 3-day passes will be sold out as early as Thursday. Better get yours now if you don't feel like paying double, or missing out entirely.
  • Oh shit, I haven't registered yet.

Oh wait.
  • I want to go to this...but I want a STi more.
  • OK kids looks like 3-day passes will be sold out as early as Thursday. Better get yours now if you don't feel like paying double, or missing out entirely.
    Oh god no. I get paid Thursday and the funds will be available friday. PLEASE DONT SELL OUT....
  • Oh god no. I get paid Thursday and the funds will be available friday. PLEASE DONT SELL OUT....
    It's called a credit card.
  • By the by, Khoo sent out a link for the enforcer application. Looks like they're accepting them until the 3-day passes sell out. Link.
  • Oh no, the three day passes are all sold out! Now my plans of attending pax this year have been ruined!!!

Psych! 2 passes purchased, printed, and permanently put aside preceding its purpose for PAX Prime!

My Dad and I (possibly my whole family) will be driving to Seattle, with Dad and I attending PAX, and everyone else doing the tourist thing. Look out Seattle, Here I come!
  • Yay, Victor! I'm happy it worked out.

So again, who is all showing up from the FRCF? Just want to see how many people we have.
  • Less than two months to go. I am, as you might say... ah-stoked.
  • My PAX plans fell through because I am fail. Glad that my enthusiasm a few months ago inspired Vic to be able to make it up there, though. One day, I will join you folks.
  • edited July 2010
    My PAX plans fell through because I am fail. Glad that my enthusiasm a few months ago inspired Vic to be able to make it up there, though. One day, I will join you folks.
    I can't make PAX East next year. I will probably be unemployed next summer (current job won't need me temping anymore).

I guarantee that I will set up crazy plans.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • My PAX plans fell through because I am fail. Glad that my enthusiasm a few months ago inspired Vic to be able to make it up there, though. One day, I will join you folks.
    If you can still buy the reg, You can drive up with me and my dad.
    And I will add that I still live within walking distance of the convention center. My couch, recliner, and floor are open to all.
    And I will add that I still live within walking distance of the convention center. My couch, recliner, and floor are open to all.
    Thats transportation and room. All you need is money for food.
  • Thats transportation and room. All you need is money for food.
    And reg.

I'd like to go, but plane fare across the country is so fucking expensive. Why do you west coast people come to PAX east, it's just crazy.
  • Why do you west coast people come to PAX east, it's just crazy.
    Us East Coast people go to PAX Prime. ;^)

Also, PAX East is going to be double the size of PAX West in short order. The East Coast is a convention paradise.
  • Also, PAX East is going to be double the size of PAX West in short order. The East Coast is a convention paradise.
    Uh yeah, no. The biggest convention centers are all in CA and Vegas. That's the convention paradise. The difference in the West is just that the major cities have greater geographic separation. LA to SF, in the same state, is further than NYC to BOS. Therefore, assuming your traveling distance tolerances are equal, you will get fewer conventions out west per person.
  • Uh yeah, no. The biggest convention centers are all in CA and Vegas. That's the convention paradise. The difference in the West is just that the major cities have greater geographic separation. LA to SF, in the same state, is further than NYC to BOS. Therefore, assuming your traveling distance tolerances are equal, you will get fewer conventions out west per person.
    The East Coast is convention paradise for the sheer ease of attendance by the most people. A con in Vegas is awesome if you just take into account the area, but it sucks unless you're rich, live nearby, or comped.