This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2010

Comments

• Why do you west coast people come to PAX east, it's just crazy.
    Because it's PAX, and I get to meet a lot of awesome East Coast peoples.

Sail,

If you can get reg going, you can share a bed, or I can get a cot for my room. I only expect you pay for your share of the room costs. Just throwing that out there. ^_~
  • Us East Coast people go to PAX Prime. ;^)
    Don't worry, I think you're plenty crazy too, but doing cons is your thing I suppose.
  • Don't worry, I think you're plenty crazy too, but doing cons is your thing I suppose.
    I'd fly out even if we weren't special guests or anything. I'll probably fly out to the third PAX when it comes as well. ;^)
  • I'd fly out even if we weren't special guests or anything. I'll probably fly out to the third PAX when it comes as well. ;^)
    I can handle four PAXes.
  • I can handle four PAXes.
    Yeah. And a Euro PAX, I would probably only attend occasionally after the first one.
  • edited July 2010
    I can handle four PAXes.
    Yeah. And a Euro PAX, I would probably only attend occasionally after the first one.
    You can't hold five PAXes.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I can handle four PAXes.
    You can't do five PAXes.
    Six PAXes? Can't lose.
  • I'd fly out even if we weren't special guests or anything. I'll probably fly out to the third PAX when it comes as well. ;^)
    I can handle four PAXes.
    I don't think PAX could handle four PAXes.
  • Awe, you guys are the best. Thank you for all the offers, but it seems 3-day passes just sold out and I still have a few other complications. But seriously, ya'll are awesome.
  • Awe, you guys are the best. Thank you for all the offers, but it seems 3-day passes just sold out and I still have a few other complications. But seriously, ya'll are awesome.
    Not at all. Next year, though, all of us from SoCal are driving up. Believe it!
  • all of us from SoCal are driving up
    Just looked at a maps and realized how far that is, holy fuck dude.
    Yeah it's a bit of a trip, however there are many people that get together to carpool to ride up from that area and around or take trains. They call it the PAX West Coast Super Trip or something along those lines.
  • They call it the PAX West Coast Super Trip or something along those lines.
    Imagine a Flying Pussyfoot filled with gamers. It basically extends PAX.
    1135 miles is hardly "holy fuck". A day's drive at most.
  • edited July 2010
    1135 miles, assuming an average speed of 60 miles an hour, with no stops for food/gas/bathroom, would come out to almost 19 hours. Do-able if you have someone with you to run it in shifts, but you're still looking at nearly a full day on the road and you're going to arrive road-dead as hell. Better to split that trip in two (at the very least) and arrive not looking like a zombie.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • edited July 2010
    1135 miles, assuming an average speed of 60 miles an hour, with no stops for food/gas/bathroom, would come out to almost 19 hours. Do-able if you have someone with you to run it in shifts, but you're still looking at nearly a full day on the road and you're going to arrive road-dead as hell. Better to split that trip in two (at the very least) and arrive not looking like a zombie.
    Better get your ass on an airplane. Our PAX plane tickets cost about $500 total, round-trip for a cross-country flight for one person. I imagine a flight only on the west coast would be much cheaper. You can make that money working at McDonald's for two weeks. Fly.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • 1135 miles is hardly "holy fuck". A day's drive at most.
    Better get your ass on an airplane. Our PAX plane tickets cost about $500 total, round-trip for a cross-country flight for one person. I imagine a flight only on the west coast would be much cheaper. You can make that money working at McDonald's for two weeks. Fly.
    Virgin Air (cheapest fare I found): $311 per person
    Number of people in my group driving up: 4
    Estimated cost of driving there: $400
    Number of drivers: 2-3.

We're driving.
  • edited July 2010

We're driving.
    You're forgetting many parts of the calculation.
    Amount of time it takes to drive vs. fly multiplied by the value of the time of all people in the car.
    Cost of ownership of the car in the first place.
    Opportunity cost of things the driver could be doing instead of driving.
    Value of feeling good and getting quality rest before the con vs. showing up wrecked.
    Value of comfort.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2010
    Amount of time it takes to drive vs. fly multiplied by the value of the time of all people in the car.
    Value of feeling good and getting quality rest before the con vs. showing up wrecked.
    Value of comfort.
    You forget Sonic is Young :-p
    I still think Driving wins in that case... I mean most of them are probably low paid college students so their hour per dollar ratio is pretty low and not going to add up to 1200k it will cost the combined 4 of them to fly (plus bag fees and other taxes and such, and maybe even parking). Plus transportation from the airport to the con.

Also Comfort, I don't find flying very comfortable and depending on the car and what you have (portable DVD's and podcast/audiobooks) you and the driver can be amused.

Also it depends if you can sleep in the car or not, I personally can fall asleep so all is good ^_^
    Post edited by Cremlian on

• Virgin Air (cheapest fare I found): $311 per person

We're driving.
    Value of comfort.
    Also, cost of the wear & tear on the car for the round trip. For a trip that long, wear & tear is significant.
  • edited July 2010

We're driving.
    Value of comfort.
    Scott, with all due respect towards your experience in convention travel, I know my and my family's financial situation better than you do. And I know what we can handle in terms of comfort and rest in relation to long drives. We drove from Rhode Island to LA in one week in a minivan with 4 adults, a two year old, two cats, and a trunk full of luggage. My dad and I have driven from Niagara Falls to Rhode Island and back in less than a day. For us, driving to Seattle is a much better option, even if it were only two people going. It's cheaper than flying, it'll provide an interesting journey, and it allows us to get cheaper accommodations because we are no longer restrained to walking distance of the convention center.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • You're forgetting many parts of the calculation..
    And you're forgetting that not everyone has a spare $300-400 to pop for plane tickets, but if that's the case then by your earlier logic presented in the Tuesday podcast they shouldn't even be attending the con. Besides, most of the items you mentioned are intangible and subjective and as such can't be accurately measured. As it stands now, it's going to cost them all around $100 each for the actual trip to the con. What price would you put on the items you mentioned that would push it over a total cost of $400 for one person for the trip?
  • RymRym
    edited July 2010
    I recall driving with Luke and ScoJo from Rochester to Chicago for Anime Central. It took about ten hours each way. Couldn't afford to fly by far, so it was either the drive or not going at all.

Of course, gas was much, much cheaper back then.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited July 2010
    I recall driving with Luke and ScoJo from Rochester to Chicago for Anime Central. It took about ten hours each way.
    And that was a memorable trip that was full of adventure and car repair ;-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • You're forgetting many parts of the calculation.
    Value of comfort.
    This is based on the assumption that you have the money to trade for the comfort and speed of flying rather than driving. If that cash is not expendable, then you're driving.

Also, the TCO of the car is a completely moot argument when comparing the two. If you own a car, you own the car regardless of which mode of transit you use for this one trip. It costs me $100 in insurance to keep my car per month, but I don't factor that into my calculation because I'm paying it no matter what.

Honestly, I didn't like flying that much. I like being in control of my trip. My flight to Boston was delayed almost two hours. In the future I might drive.
  • Honestly, I didn't like flying that much. I like being in control of my trip. My flight to Boston was delayed almost two hours. In the future I might drive.
    Or drive to one of the other city nodes with friends and hitch a ride with them shortening your trip.
  • Or drive to one of the other city nodes with friends and hitch a ride with them shortening your trip.
    Or pick up other carless ones and make my trip less lame and boring.
  • I imagine a flight only on the west coast would be much cheaper.
    I just booked my flights last night and my total on Jet Blue from southern California (Long Beach to be exact) was $199.84 round trip.

• I just booked my flights last night and my total on Jet Blue from southern California (Long Beach to be exact) was $199.84 round trip.
    So $100 one way? That's crazy.
  • So $100 one way? That's crazy.
    Competitive with driving solo even.