This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2010

Comments

• On a related note, Driving to PAX means I can bring whatever I want with me without having to worry about shit getting lost at the airport or paying oodles of money for luggage weight.
    This is true. On Jet Blue the first checked bag is always free, and I always check exactly one bag. Our lack of car has resulted in us not taking our banner to any conventions recently. We'll be ordering a new smaller one in the near future. If your at-con activity means bringing equipment (BYOPC), then air travel is right out unless you own your own private jet.
  • It's fun being an Enforcer again. Being part of the forums and this year I get to go to SAX (bag stuffing party). It will be fun meeting and hanging out with more awesome people.

Also for the TT'ers. We get to order custom dice!

• The nice part about being in a main hub like that is if for some reason you're flight gets canned, it's not like you have to wait until tomorrow for the next flight out. Maybe a few hours at most. I fly Continental a lot and am immensly thankful that I live so close to Newark airport.
  • Me want PAX dice.
  • On a related note, Driving to PAX means I can bring whatever I want with me without having to worry about shit getting lost at the airport or paying oodles of money for luggage weight.
    This is true. On Jet Blue the first checked bag is always free, and I always check exactly one bag. Our lack of car has resulted in us not taking our banner to any conventions recently. We'll be ordering a new smaller one in the near future. If your at-con activity means bringing equipment (BYOPC), then air travel is right out unless you own your own private jet.
    It's crazy how much the fees have gone up for baggage recently. I haven't run the numbers myself b/c I haven't had to travel with gear in a long time, but it definitely seems economical to ship stuff Fed Ex rather than bring it on board these days.

Also, those dice are nothing short of amazing. Are those just thank you gifts for the table top enforcers, or is there an opportunity for other people to get some as well?
  • My coworkers are driving to PAX so should I finish packing and end up with more than 1 bag, they will be my shuttle service. I'm thinking my games will go with them. Clothes can be replaced but a first edition copy of Talisman is a treasure I'm not entrusting to the people at the airport.
  • Maybe this is too late in the game but it just struck me that being an enforcer would be rad. Can anyone give me a quick lowdown on how this may work? I know Ro has enforcer experience. A few words, m'lady?
  • edited July 2010
    Oh, sure. Yeah, you work a shift of 6 hours each day. If you can only work 2, let them know.

Don't be stupid, be respectful, be awesome and know the basics of your where you work and you're set.

From when and where I worked as an Enforcer, it wasn't really work. It was just hanging out and answering a few questions, and meeting and talking to awesome people.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • =D 6 hours a day seems rough since this is my first PAX but I figure the trade off will be worth it. I just like helping people and being awesome. Both of these things seem to epitomize the Black. =D
  • Jet Blue's main hub is JFK in New York, so their operations are much more streamlined there.
    Dulles and Boston are pretty big JetBlue hubs too. Stop trying to explain this away as "well you weren't in NYC, that's why it failed." JetBlue had an off day, it had nothing to do with where I was. The 3 other flights I had with them, back from PAX and to and from AB were fine. They just rolled a 1 for my outbound flight.
  • Yeah, I suggest enjoying all of PAX as much as you can if it's your first PAX. You will have many chances of being an Enforcer for years to come, hopefully. (Don't want to jinx it!)

I normally prefer morning shifts, however I'm afraid I might miss some of the new GN panels, but it's ok. I'm sure I'll have a chance at PAX East.
  • http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=123613

That thread has links to their announcement on Twitter from July 12th saying applications were open, but would close as soon as 3-day passes sold out, which means the window of opportunity was only there for about 4 days. Maybe you can still squeeze an application through.

There's also a link to an article someone wrote about being an enforcer:
    http://www.fleen.com/archives/2010/03/29/being-a-history-of-a-nerd-gathering/
  • Stop trying to explain this away as "well you weren't in NYC, that's why it failed.
    NYC - It's big, but that doesn't make it special, just big.
  • edited July 2010
    Alea iacta est

The application has been sent. Working a Con and never "attending" is no new thing for me. I worked the one Anime Expo I attended (Ewww.) and have worked 2 BlizzCons but never attended. It's something I'm used to, I suppose. I'll just have to cram more into my non-shift hours. =D

Man, I'm so pumped for PAX! It's going to be AWESOME!

I wonder how long it will take for them to get back to me...
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • NYC - It's big, but that doesn't make it special, just big.
    Yeah, it's bigness isn't what makes it special. The fact that it is the financial and cultural center of the entire world makes it special.
  • edited July 2010
    The fact that it is the financial and cultural center of the entire world makes it special.
    Financial, you can argue possibly sucessfully, the only real competition is London, but cultural centre of the world? You're fuckin' high. Pull your head outta your ass, NYC, outside of NYC, or really to be fair, the US, is very little more than a really big city that they set a lot of movies in. Except for the aforementioned financial reasons, the only place that gives a fuck about NYC, is NYC, and to a lesser degree, the rest of the USA. The only place it's the cultural centre of is itself.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited July 2010
    The fact that it is the financial and cultural center of the entire world makes it special.
    Financial, you can argue, but cultural centre of the world? You're fuckin' high.
    Ok, I've got a few more to try out.

The UN is here.
    It's 4.5 cities in one. We have to elect sub-mayors (borough presidents) because this shit is so big.
    It's even so big that we have more than one library SYSTEM. New York Public Library, Queens Library.
    Two airports, two train stations, and it isn't enough.
    Biggest city in the most important country on earth.
    New York Times - most read paper in the world. LA Times, not as much.
    Movies, books, TV shows taking place in New York? From King Kong to Seinfeld, we're #1.
    Broadway, yeah, that's NY again.
    We film the Daily show here, and they film the shitty reality shows elsewhere because we're the bosses.

NYC. Like a boss.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2010
    It's 4.5 cities in one. We have to elect sub-mayors (borough presidents) because this shit is so big.
    It's even so big that we have more than one library SYSTEM. New York Public Library, Queens Library.
    Yeah, it's bigness isn't what makes it special.
    I started writing responses for the rest, but either Scott is trolling or stupefyingly ignorant. Either way It's probably best not to bother. >_
    Post edited by Walker on
  • New York sounds just like Londong. Kinda boring.
  • And all of this bows down to the awesome of London;
    We have the (second) biggest library in the world.
    Pfft, we have Four Airports, (Stansted, Gatwick, Heathrow and London City)
    We film the Daily show here, and they film the shitty reality shows elsewhere because we're the bosses.
    We have the BBC. Suck it. We also happen to have the best museums in the world (Natural History, Science and British museums).
  • We have the BBC. Suck it. We also happen to have the best museums in the world (Natural History, Science and British museums).
    If the BBC was so good why can't they make a show that has more then 6 or 8 eps a season :-p

Also those museums are full of all the relics you plundered from the rest of the world :-p
  • edited July 2010
    Only the British Museum, damn straight. The Natural History Museum is really great, as is the Science Museum.

While I have problems with the BBC, it's at least doing something to keep standards up.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • If the BBC was so good why can't they make a show that has more then 6 or 8 eps a season :-p
    Why can't American TV make a show that has a enough content for 13 episodes
    Also those museums are full of all the relics you plundered from the rest of the world :-p
    Do you really think they would be safe in the rest of the world? And where do you think any American museum finds their stuff.

To add to awesome list;
    Best Cemetery (Have you seen the people buried in Highgate Cemitary)
    Best Art Galleries (National and Tate Modern)
  • I'd just like to interject that we were both brought to this state by ranpant slavery and colonization.
  • edited July 2010
    The UN is here.
    Whose primary judicial organ is placed in the Netherlands, The security Council Travels about, And the UN building is technically located not in the US or New York, but on international Soil located within New York.
    It's big. We covered that, but that doesn't make it the cultural centre of the world unless you're a deluded. Also, I might add, we do the same thing on a much larger scale in Australia - We have local members, local council, city council, and that's before you even get to state government, because this shit is so big.
    Yes, so? That doesn't make New York City a cultural center of the world, just big enough that they were incapable of handling a single unified library system, and had to break it into manageable chunks. We get it, it's a big city.
    My city has Two major, two Minor airports, plus one very near by at the Gold coast, Plus two major train stations, two or three major bus stations. And it isn't quite enough, but it's adequate, and we're improving them all the time, so that we can do more with less.
    No, That would be Shanghai. China has immense manufacturing capability, which the US leans on immensely, has a far greater population, and unlike the US, is still a rapidly developing nation.
    New York Times - most read paper in the world. LA Times, not as much.
    Actually, the top five newspapers in the world by circulation are all Japanese. The New York times comes in at about 48th. It's not even the top newspaper in the US, though, I will give credit where credit is due, another New York paper, the Wall street journal, is indeed the most read paper in the US, and much higher up in the list for being read around the world.
    Movies, books, TV shows taking place in New York? From King Kong to Seinfeld, we're #1.
    If you want to play it that way, Most of Europe has a few thousand years of lead time on you, there, and many continue to pump out a high volume of content. And As for just taking place in New York? Whoop de do, it's the world's favourite backdrop. What's next, You're going to claim Toronto is going to be extremely culturally important in the next few years, because it's in a lot of movies, being cheaper to film there?
    Broadway, yeah, that's NY again.
    Yep, And the Globe in London, which is far more prestigious and has a greater history of culturally significant plays(Can't beat Shakespeare, boyo), or maybe, if you want to go by district, London's West End, Which is considered the step above Broadway in the theatre community, and not only has a greater history of massive and culturally significant plays, continues to equal if not exceed Broadway's output in quality and quantity, despite having fewer theatres. Again, like Peter North's penis - Bigger, But not more culturally significant.

Also, you forget one thing - I'm from another culture, and I've lived and travelled though areas of many, many other cultures. I can tell you from experience that NYC is barely a blip on the radar to most of them(And those where it's not? That's the US), which would not be the case, if NYC really was the cultural centre of the world.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • My city has Two major, two Minor airports, plus one very near by at the Gold coast, Plus two major train stations, two or three major bus stations. And it isn't quite enough, but it's adequate, and we're improving them all the time, so that we can do more with less.
    DC has 3 major if you count BWI as a lot of people do.
  • If the BBC was so good why can't they make a show that has more then 6 or 8 eps a season :-p
    Why can't American TV make a show that has a enough content for 13 episodes
    See Firefly. But, in general I do agree that American TV has trouble keeping shows to the length they should be.
    Best Cemetery (Have you seen the people buried in Highgate Cemitary)
    No, they're all dead... and in the ground...
  • edited July 2010
    DC has 3 major if you count BWI as a lot of people do.
    True, but I can't say owt about Washington, since I've spent relatively little time there. Mostly, funnily enough, in and out of airports.
    I started writing responses for the rest, but either Scott is trolling or stupefyingly ignorant. Either way It's probably best not to bother. >_<
    I'm leaning towards the latter.
    See Firefly. But, in general I do agree that American TV has trouble keeping shows to the length they should be.
    Yep, I've seen all thirteen episodes of it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • No, they're all dead... and in the ground...
    Queue rim shot. lol
  • edited July 2010
    I've been to more cities than I can accurately remember inside the US but never to another country, so I have nothing to contribute to this discussion other than to state the fact that NYC is home to some rather shitty television programs as well as the good ones. Most of my undergrad friends went to school for television production and now work in NYC, and I'm still waiting for one of them to work on a show I would consider watching.
    Post edited by Matt on